Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do You Often/Normally Print Using LR Templates?  (Read 715 times)

BradSmith

Do You Often/Normally Print Using LR Templates?
« on: November 21, 2018, 05:30:46 pm »

Alain Briot's recent article seemed to indicate that his standard workflow was to print from templates in LR.   Out of curiosity, do you often use templates in LR for printing?  I only use them for greeting cards (horiz and vertical).  I guess I rarely use them because:
  • I never need to gang multiple prints at one time. 
  • I print to an image size that is appropriate to the crop I made on the print and the paper size.  I rarely print to "standard" dimensions.

Are templates very useful to you and if so, other than ganging a bunch of prints onto roll paper at one time, how are they useful?
Brad

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Do You Often/Normally Print Using LR Templates?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 05:42:55 pm »

I never need to use such templates. When I arrange several photos on a page for printing, each case is different. When I print one photo per page, I use the standard Single Photo feature, and most of the time my minimum margins are the same regardless of the photo's aspect ratio. Now, of what use is this information?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

BradSmith

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 05:52:06 pm »

Mark, thanks for the response.  I was curious if I had overlooked a way of using them that would benefit my workflow.
Brad

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 07:15:01 pm »

Mark, thanks for the response.  I was curious if I had overlooked a way of using them that would benefit my workflow.
Brad

Well, that said, for all I know I might be overlooking something too :-), but it hasn't impeded progress yet!

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 07:28:21 pm »

I use templates all the time but such templates do not have to do anything per se with ganging images. Templates can be of course, a single image with all parameters saved for a print which is a huge time saver.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 07:31:06 pm »

True. If one is using a number of different papers and sizes it makes sense to create templates of the settings. In my case, unless I'm doing reviews and tests, I normally print with a narrow range of materials.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 02:23:26 am »

Alain Briot's recent article seemed to indicate that his standard workflow was to print from templates in LR.   Out of curiosity, do you often use templates in LR for printing?  I only use them for greeting cards (horiz and vertical).  I guess I rarely use them because:
  • I print to an image size that is appropriate to the crop I made on the print and the paper size.  I rarely print to "standard" dimensions.

Are templates very useful to you and if so, other than ganging a bunch of prints onto roll paper at one time, how are they useful?
Brad

I always start printing from a template. The templates I have created are categorized by
paper manufacturer -->
black ink type -->
paper name -->
color or bw (in case of bw icc or printer bw mode) -->
and in case of PK ink -->
chroma optimizer OVERALL or AUTO.

The purpose of these is to set correctly the printer driver with one click.
The only two things left to set is the paper size (unfortunately with another visit to the printer driver)
and the layout in the LR print module.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 04:36:52 am »

Brad

Not on Lightroom but I have them stored on Qimage Ultimate for jobs that repeat more often. Next to that I can recall jobs from the interactive print log file which is more often used in practice. Goes back more than 10 years now. Archive that one carefully.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

JeanMichel

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 10:56:20 am »

I find that making "User Templates" very useful. Basically, these templates are just user-made presets and save time and avoids making some errors. I have two photo printers – a P800 and a P6000 – so I made a few templates for the most used print sizes and papers; here again I only use a couple of different papers. Once I choose my template it is very easy to make any changes to a particular print size or margin, etc.

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 05:40:21 pm »

Here’s some of what I have.  “eupl” is my abbreviation for Epson Ultra Premium Luster.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up