Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where is Epson Control Panel?  (Read 5434 times)

deliberate1

Re: Where is Epson Control Panel?
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 10:08:15 pm »

Gary, this is what I was referring to, from Doug's reply above:

I use the nozzle check in the Windows 10, Settings->PrinterPreferences->Utility->NozzleCheck  It only prints a thin line for each of the inks and nozzles. Very little wasted ink. I use a selectable color LED lamp to check them as some, especially the yellow, is really hard to see in white light.

I do not know if the abbreviated LFP nozzle check can be commanded on the printer control panel. It makes sense that it could, unless there are functions unique to the LFP. I plan to play with it this weekend.
Cheers.
D

Garnick

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2018, 08:08:45 am »

Gary, this is what I was referring to, from Doug's reply above:

I use the nozzle check in the Windows 10, Settings->PrinterPreferences->Utility->NozzleCheck  It only prints a thin line for each of the inks and nozzles. Very little wasted ink. I use a selectable color LED lamp to check them as some, especially the yellow, is really hard to see in white light.

I do not know if the abbreviated LFP nozzle check can be commanded on the printer control panel. It makes sense that it could, unless there are functions unique to the LFP. I plan to play with it this weekend.
Cheers.
D

Hi David,

After reading the above information about your path to the printer Utility I had an idea.  Now, before you read any further, I think I might know what you're thinking.  My first "idea" crashed, so why bother ???.  And of course you would probably have a good reason for thinking that, I do admit.  However, if you wish to accept this mission, here we go.  Of course what I'm about to suggest is the path I use to bring the LFP icon down to the Dock on my Mac, so I'm not at all certain that this path will have any relevance to the Windows OS.  I have rather sparse knowledge of Windows, but here goes.  Open "My Computer", which I believe will show all drives etc.  Open the "C" drive, since I imagine that's where the Epson Drivers are installed.  Go to Library and find the "Printers" folder and then the "Epson" folder.  If there is no "Library" just try to find the "Printers > Epson" folder otherwise.  In the Epson folder find a folder named InkjetPrinter2(or perhaps a different number).  Open that folder and find the "Utility" folder, probably the last one in the list.  Open the "Utility" folder.  You should see two folders, one named UT followed by a number, and the other folder should be simply UTL.  The UTL utility is the Lite version, so the one you want is the UT (with the number).  Open that folder and you should see the Utility icon named "Epson Printer Utility (plus the number).  Create an alias of that Utility and drag it to the desktop.  This is the path I take to drag the Utility to the Dock, basically the same thing you want to accomplish except it will reside on your desktop. 

With what I have written I hope it somehow relates to the Windows version of the Driver and its location etc.  If you have any further questionsssssss, just ask and I'll try to devise an answer.

And one more question from me.  Do you have "Auto Cleaning Cycles" turned on.  If so you would perhaps not be able to run the "lines" version of the Nozzle Check Pattern from the printer control panel.  If Auto is turned on, turn it off and then you should be able to run the "Abbreviated" Nozzle Check I believe.

Gary 

« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 08:20:13 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

deliberate1

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2018, 08:57:13 pm »

Gary, lots to digest there. I am a total computer duffer. Any issue that I ultimately resolve is typically by luck or blind chance. That said, you have given me a pretty good trail of bread crumbs to follow this weekend.
I do not keep the Auto Clean function on. I did not even know there is one. With the LFP panel I would run the abbreviated nozzle check. Once that is done, in about 5 seconds, you have the option to start a "power cleaning." If I have not run the printer in a while, I will often get the "power cleaning" recommendation on the printer panel, which has to be activated manually, Typically, I will ignore that, and then do an abbreviated nozzle check to see if there is any evidence of clogging. Never forget, Epson is an ink company....

Garnick

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2018, 08:20:24 am »

Gary, lots to digest there. I am a total computer duffer. Any issue that I ultimately resolve is typically by luck or blind chance. That said, you have given me a pretty good trail of bread crumbs to follow this weekend.
I do not keep the Auto Clean function on. I did not even know there is one. With the LFP panel I would run the abbreviated nozzle check. Once that is done, in about 5 seconds, you have the option to start a "power cleaning." If I have not run the printer in a while, I will often get the "power cleaning" recommendation on the printer panel, which has to be activated manually, Typically, I will ignore that, and then do an abbreviated nozzle check to see if there is any evidence of clogging. Never forget, Epson is an ink company....

Hi David,

I apologize for my somewhat limited knowledge of the Windows OS, but I believe at least some of my former instructions about where to find the "LFP Utility" should be helpful.  I do have one Windows computer, which I use mainly for my accounting program, so I seldom explore the OS to any great extent, and of course I don't have a driver for the 7800 printer installed on that machine.  Hopefully someone with more Windows savvy will chime in and help you with the search for the "Utility".  However, when you have the time I imagine you will find it, if indeed it was installed with the driver as usual.

By the way, you should find the "Auto Clean" dialog in "Printer Setup" on the printer control panel.  The default setting is "ON", so if you haven't turned it off it is still active. With that turned "OFF" you should always get what you refer to as the "Abbreviated" Nozzle Check Pattern when initiating a nozzle check directly from the printer control panel.  No need to use the LFP Utility other than perhaps an alignment Etc.
As I have mentioned, even though I keep the LFP up to date, I almost never use it.  All nozzle checks are run from the printer control panel.

Gary

« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 08:32:08 am by Garnick »
Gary N.

Doug Gray

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2018, 06:16:38 pm »

Expanding on this for windows 10: Settings->PrinterPreferences->Utility->NozzleCheck

1. Click on the lower leftmost icon which is shaped like a window. This brings up various icons to start working.
2. Click on the icon that looks like a gear. It's the second from the bottom left and is called "Settings."
3. Click on "Devices" which will bring up a list of printers, and other attached peripherals.
4. Click on "Printers & Scanners"
5. Click on Epson Stylus Pro 7800
6. Click on the "Manage" button.
7. Click on Printing preferences
8. Click on the right most tab labeled "Utility"

This opens a list of maintenance type options. The "Nozzle Check" button prints the thin line nozzle check.

deliberate1

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2018, 09:19:52 pm »

Doug and Gary, again much obliged for your suggestions for a work around give Epson's decision to abandon the LFP for the 7800 in Windows 10. It does make sense, as you both point out that, there would be the same functions, albeit accessible from a location other than the LFP. I will check out the processes you describe and thank you for presenting them on a "remedial" level.
David

Garnick

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2018, 09:20:49 pm »

Expanding on this for windows 10: Settings->PrinterPreferences->Utility->NozzleCheck

1. Click on the lower leftmost icon which is shaped like a window. This brings up various icons to start working.
2. Click on the icon that looks like a gear. It's the second from the bottom left and is called "Settings."
3. Click on "Devices" which will bring up a list of printers, and other attached peripherals.
4. Click on "Printers & Scanners"
5. Click on Epson Stylus Pro 7800
6. Click on the "Manage" button.
7. Click on Printing preferences
8. Click on the right most tab labeled "Utility"

This opens a list of maintenance type options. The "Nozzle Check" button prints the thin line nozzle check.

Hi Doug,

From what I've read here this seems like a rather involved procedure to simply run a nozzle check.  Please don't misinterpret  my intention Doug.  I trust completely that this is indeed the proper procedure, although it does seem to be somewhat complex.  Going back as far as I can recall, when running a nozzle check from the Printer Control Panel it's simply a matter of three clicks, and in less than half a minute I have the printed pattern.  That has nothing to do with the OS, Windows or Mac, since it is being instigated strictly through the Printer Control Panel.  And of course the pattern is as David describes, the "abbreviated" version, all one needs to check for dropped nozzles.  I really cannot understand why anyone would want to let the printer initiate "Auto Nozzle Cleaning".  When that happens we have no control over which nozzle pairs are being "cleaned", although I very much suspect that ALL channels are dumping ink just to clear perhaps one or two nozzles.

Having read through your instructions again I assume the "Utility" tab is simply part of the whole procedure and not an app in itself that one could alias and put on the desktop, or as on the Mac, in the Dock.  Is that correct?  If so it would seem that perhaps David will not be able to have the LFP Utility on his desktop as he wanted.  I hope I am reading that part incorrectly, and that he might be able to eventually have some success with his initial request

EDIT:  Sorry David, it seems that we were both writing at the same time and that you finished earlier.  As I mentioned to David, I do indeed hope that you will find a positive response to your question.
                    Stay in touch and keep us updated.  :) 

Gary

« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 09:26:20 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.

Doug Gray

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2018, 10:20:35 pm »

Hi Doug,

From what I've read here this seems like a rather involved procedure to simply run a nozzle check.Gary

It certainly is longish when you are starting from a Windows main screen.  Actually, items 7 and 8 are the same when accessing the printer driver settings in Photoshop or other printer applications. But if you don't have an app open you can do it this way from Windows directly with no app required.

It's actually pretty fast once you know the pattern. Just a series of clicks. It takes longer for Photoshop to load. As a practical matter I rarely do it that way since I am usually in Photoshop when the need arises and there it's just steps 7 and 8 from the print dialog.

Garnick

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2018, 07:34:56 am »

It certainly is longish when you are starting from a Windows main screen.  Actually, items 7 and 8 are the same when accessing the printer driver settings in Photoshop or other printer applications. But if you don't have an app open you can do it this way from Windows directly with no app required.

It's actually pretty fast once you know the pattern. Just a series of clicks. It takes longer for Photoshop to load. As a practical matter I rarely do it that way since I am usually in Photoshop when the need arises and there it's just steps 7 and 8 from the print dialog.

Hi Doug,

When I boot the Mac early morning my first action is to open LuLa to see what's happening.  It's now 7am here in Ontario, close to Toronto, and I'm sitting at my work station constructing yet another reply.  I've always been an early riser.  The problem with that is I'm also a bit of a night hawk and the two sometimes colide.  Second on my morning schedule is to boot up Photoshop and get ready for the work day, albeit not as much work since I moved my business to my home in Feb. 2017.  My wife keeps telling me to retire, but this is what I do and have done for more years than I dare to admit.  I've been trying to determine the positive aspects of working at home, but so far with little luck.  However, it was a sort of forced move, so I'm trying to make the best of the situation and I think I'm finally starting to settle in.  I still have some of my former customers and picking up new ones occasionally, but not like it used to be. 

Oh my  :o !ยก!  I do apologize for offering such an OT beginning to this reply.  I guess I just had to blow off some early morning steam of sorts.  My original thought was to mention that in all my years printing from Photoshop I have never run a nozzle check from within.  As I mentioned a while back, my first procedure after starting the printer is to print a nozzle check and then take any action that deemed to be required.

Hmmmm :)...It is interesting - the varied methods we all have in our daily routines.  Of course the only necessity is to develop a routine that works, but it is interesting to see what how others handle certain aspects of the work day.

Have a great day Doug,

Gary 

Gary N.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2018, 10:14:41 am »

It is interesting - the varied methods we all have in our daily routines.  Of course the only necessity is to develop a routine that works, but it is interesting to see what how others handle certain aspects of the work day.
Indeed, it is interesting.

My old Epson 3800 and my newer P800 have been so reliable that for many years my "method" was pretty much:
1.  Print a print, even if I hadn't printed in a few weeks.
2a.  If the print looks OK, print more prints.
2b.  If the print looks "off", do a nozzle check (often leading to a couple of head cleans & more nozzle checks.)
3.  Make more prints.    :)

I am now earnestly trying to improve my method (and save a few ... very few ... wasted prints):
1.   If I haven't printed for a while, do a nozzle check.
2.   Do a head clean and more nozzle checks as needed.
3.   Make prints.

Works for me.   ;)

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Garnick

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2018, 07:35:47 am »

Indeed, it is interesting.

My old Epson 3800 and my newer P800 have been so reliable that for many years my "method" was pretty much:
1.  Print a print, even if I hadn't printed in a few weeks.
2a.  If the print looks OK, print more prints.
2b.  If the print looks "off", do a nozzle check (often leading to a couple of head cleans & more nozzle checks.)
3.  Make more prints.    :)

I am now earnestly trying to improve my method (and save a few ... very few ... wasted prints):
1.   If I haven't printed for a while, do a nozzle check.
2.   Do a head clean and more nozzle checks as needed.
3.   Make prints.

Works for me.   ;)

-Eric

That sounds an awful lot like my approach Eric, except I run a nozzle check first.  And as I discovered many years ago, if one or two nozzles have dropped out within the bottom two lines I go ahead and "Make a Print".  At least 90% of the time those one or two dropped nozzles will have no adverse effects on the image.  As I continue printing I might occasionally run another nozzle check mid day, and often those one or two dropped nozzles have magically healed themselves with no help from me except just Making Prints.  We do occasionally tend to get bogged down in the minutia of the act of Making Prints, but sometimes it is really just that simple -- Make a Print and look at it.  If there's a problem, fix it.

Have a great day Eric  :)

Gary   

Gary N.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up