Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: easiest way to sync to backup drive?  (Read 236 times)

jimh

• Jim H Photo
easiest way to sync to backup drive?
« on: November 14, 2018, 11:28:14 AM »

I want to periodically connect a portable drive and back up my entire tree of photos (pushing 100gb at this point).   Obviously I don't want to recopy everything, every time - just the new or modified files.

Years ago, I used a program called SyncBack for this purpose.  It worked well but as is often the case, is somewhat over-featured and tedious to set up. 

AFAIK there's nothing currently built in to Windows 10 that does this satisfactorily, so 3rd party solutions are still needed.

I'd like to know what people are using today, for incremental backup and sync.

jrsforums

Re: easiest way to sync to backup drive?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 12:40:22 PM »

I want to periodically connect a portable drive and back up my entire tree of photos (pushing 100gb at this point).   Obviously I don't want to recopy everything, every time - just the new or modified files.

Years ago, I used a program called SyncBack for this purpose.  It worked well but as is often the case, is somewhat over-featured and tedious to set up. 

AFAIK there's nothing currently built in to Windows 10 that does this satisfactorily, so 3rd party solutions are still needed.

I'd like to know what people are using today, for incremental backup and sync.

Suggest you try “GoodSync”
John

Joe Towner

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 11:25:29 AM »

RoboCopy can do what you're looking for, but it's not for the faint of heart (command line, etc).
t: @PNWMF

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 04:35:32 PM »

Goodsync is certainly a good package, but also look at FreeFilesync https://freefilesync.org/ seems much the same, but freeware
Pages: [1]   Go Up