Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Topaz Gigapixel  (Read 11508 times)

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
Re: Topaz Gigapixel
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2018, 11:50:17 am »

I took advantage of the 25% discount currently offered on Ai Gigapixel and purchased a license.

Did a quick test run on a TIF file for a 200% scaling.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2018, 01:09:46 pm »

Looks pretty good to me.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

smahn

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2018, 01:39:00 pm »

I don't have the product but from looking at samples here, it seems to do a really nice job of holding detail, but I find the disunity of the noise a bit unsettling.

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2018, 11:40:54 pm »

smahn, you might consider running AI Clear before AI Gigapixel. I did some experiments on film-based scans and it worked well.
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

smahn

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2018, 01:10:46 am »

Plugs, I totally get it that I'm probably nitpicking great products, but here's an example from one of your own samples. Note how the areas where grain remains now seem out of context. (ie, Around the taxi and portions of the rooftop.)

I just feel like it would be cool if the product could allow you to point it to suspect areas for further refinement.

plugsnpixels

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2018, 01:41:48 am »

No problem, I see the patches too, probably something to do with the algorithm. Overall the result is much better though. Might work even better or not have the patches at all on a digital image as opposed to a film-sourced one (I'd need to review my other results or do more tests).

BTW, see if your version of Gigapixel updates to 2.1.0

Mine did though I haven't tested it yet.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2018, 04:29:57 am »

Plugs, I totally get it that I'm probably nitpicking great products, but here's an example from one of your own samples. Note how the areas where grain remains now seem out of context. (ie, Around the taxi and portions of the rooftop.)

I just feel like it would be cool if the product could allow you to point it to suspect areas for further refinement.

Hi,

Adding some uniform grain at the new size might help. But I assume that after they get the main issues out of the way, the folks at TopazLabs might add some more functionality. Sofar, I'm already very happy with the image quality improvements over other upscaling solutions.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2018, 08:17:18 am »

All samples I've seen so far look overly painterly, altering visual integrity of the image.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2018, 09:51:24 am »

All samples I've seen so far look overly painterly, altering visual integrity of the image.

Hi Michael,

Depends on the image content, which (noise reduction and sharpness) settings were used in A.I. Gigapixel, and how it's printed and the distance it's viewed. Many upsampled images (for print output) benefit from the addition of some uniform noise.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 04:40:45 pm by BartvanderWolf »

WayneLarmon

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2018, 11:18:13 am »

How are you viewing these samples?  On a print?  On a monitor?  If a monitor, what size monitor and how many PPI is the monitor?

This last is because I evaluated a lot of A.I. Gigapixel uprezzed images at 100% on both a 1920x1200 24" monitor (94 PPI) and on a 14" 4K monitor (320 PPI).  I saw a lot of flaws on the 94 PPI monitor that were invisible on the 320 PPI monitor.  (100% on a 320 PPI monitor == modern print.  100% on a 94 PPI monitor == a print made on a 1980s era dot matrix printer.)

The goal of A.I. Gigapixel is to create plausible detail.  When viewed plausibly.

kpz

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2018, 09:20:22 pm »

Sofar, I'm already very happy with the image quality improvements over other upscaling solutions.

Cheers,
Bart

Hi Bart, have you been able to compare to fractal resizing methods? I think one implementation is called ON1 Resize now, formerly Genuine Fractals.

Also, what application do you use for output sharpening prior to printing? I am usually not so picky about this, but on a large print it probably pays to use the absolute best (given the price of printing...).

plugsnpixels

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2018, 11:05:10 pm »

kpz, I can't speak for Bart's printing workflow but you asked about how Gigapixel compares to other resizing solutions. Back in August I did some tests that might interest you.

kpz

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2018, 02:47:10 am »

kpz, I can't speak for Bart's printing workflow but you asked about how Gigapixel compares to other resizing solutions. Back in August I did some tests that might interest you.

Beautiful, thank you. Exactly what I was looking forward.

And I would appreciate high-end sharpening suggestions from anyone, not just Bart!

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2018, 10:48:00 am »

Hi Bart, have you been able to compare to fractal resizing methods? I think one implementation is called ON1 Resize now, formerly Genuine Fractals.

Yes, On1 Resize, but more often PhotoZoom Pro by Benvista, were my go-to applications for Upsampling, until Topaz A.I. Gigapixel arrived which beats them both, no contest in my view.

Also, what application do you use for output sharpening prior to printing? I am usually not so picky about this, but on a large print it probably pays to use the absolute best (given the price of printing...).

I used to use the FocusMagic PS plugin, a deconvolution sharpener, by default but there's less (still something but less) to be gained from it on AIG rescaled images which retain much better sharpness already. In addition, I like Topaz Detail (the PS Plugin version), or the Topaz Studio Precision Detail adjustment. Besides great control over Detail, it also has a Sharpen control that uses deconvolution.

Cheers,
Bart

plugsnpixels

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2018, 01:14:49 pm »

One other apparent sharpness trick to consider is using Gigapixel to up-rez an image, then using your image editor to reduce it back down in size.

brandon

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2018, 04:40:51 pm »

Just updated to 2.1.0. (from 2.0). I haven't re run GPAI on earlier images etc but I think output on a couple I just put through is showing more "swirling" artifact than before. Seems similar whether I have the reduce noise and blur on none or moderate. Anyone else noticed similar behaviour? May need to redo some earlier photos to check.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2018, 07:13:24 pm »

I used to use the FocusMagic PS plugin, a deconvolution sharpener, by default but there's less (still something but less) to be gained from it on AIG rescaled images which retain much better sharpness already. In addition, I like Topaz Detail (the PS Plugin version), or the Topaz Studio Precision Detail adjustment. Besides great control over Detail, it also has a Sharpen control that uses deconvolution.

Hi Bart, I am curious what the whole workflow would be like (say from Lightroom).  Would you export a TIFF from Lightroom without capture sharpening, then use AI Gigapixel then FocusMagic or is a different order of steps ideal from your experience?

Thanks.

John

faberryman

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2018, 07:17:10 pm »

Hi Bart, I am curious what the whole workflow would be like (say from Lightroom).  Would you export a TIFF from Lightroom without capture sharpening, then use AI Gigapixel then FocusMagic or is a different order of steps ideal from your experience.
How big a print are you thinking about?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2018, 07:52:14 pm »

Hi Bart, I am curious what the whole workflow would be like (say from Lightroom).  Would you export a TIFF from Lightroom without capture sharpening, then use AI Gigapixel then FocusMagic or is a different order of steps ideal from your experience?

Hi John,

My normal workflow would be to Export a 16-bit/channel TIFF. I then use Topaz Clarity (now Precision Contrast) and Topaz (Precision) Detail for contrast control and detail enhancement. Since Focusmagic does a better job at sharpening, I'd finish processing that TIFF in Photoshop or Affinity Photo and apply Focusmagic sharpening with a Luminosity Blending Layer (thus avoiding the risk of clipping). Then use A.I. Gigapixel to achieve the native resolution of the printer driver (600 PPI or 720 PPI) for the intended output size.

Before A.I. Gigapixel, the upsampling (in order to manage artifact creation) would produce somewhat soft detail which would then benefit from some additional Detail or Focusmagic treatment. But Gigapixel upscaling is sharp, thus needing little help (maybe a smidgen to squeeze out the maximum impact and precompensate for ink diffusion blur).

Cheers,
Bart

John Hollenberg

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2018, 09:01:25 pm »

My normal workflow would be to Export a 16-bit/channel TIFF. I then use Topaz Clarity (now Precision Contrast) and Topaz (Precision) Detail for contrast control and detail enhancement. Since Focusmagic does a better job at sharpening, I'd finish processing that TIFF in Photoshop or Affinity Photo and apply Focusmagic sharpening with a Luminosity Blending Layer (thus avoiding the risk of clipping). Then use A.I. Gigapixel to achieve the native resolution of the printer driver (600 PPI or 720 PPI) for the intended output size.

Thanks, that helps a lot.   So you would turn off capture sharpening in Lightroom prior to export?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up