Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: afinity photo and ipf8400  (Read 1260 times)

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
afinity photo and ipf8400
« on: November 03, 2018, 09:47:48 pm »

anyone having real world success printing from Afinity Photo to an ipf 8400 or similar? what's your setup?

I.T. Supplies

Re: afinity photo and ipf8400
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 11:38:34 am »

Hello, are you referring to Afinity as a brand or Infinity (Canson's line)?

Remko

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 12:06:37 pm »

@ I.T. Supplies

Affinity Photo is Serif's great alternative for Photoshop.

cheers,
Remko

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 12:20:02 pm »

Thanks for clarifying that.  I wasn't familiar with the name and what it was.

guido

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 01:24:32 pm »

I never got Afinity Photo to make friends with my Epson P-800. It was the final strike that prompted my return to Photoshop. I've never looked back.

Garnick

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 09:03:30 am »

@ I.T. Supplies

Affinity Photo is Serif's great alternative for Photoshop.

cheers,
Remko

I beg to differ with your opinion of Affinty Photo being a great alternative to Photoshop.  I jumped on the Affinity wagon a few months into its life cycle as a possible replacement for Photoshop.  I bought the app for the sole purpose of investigation.  I wanted to find out how well it might be able to complete some of the daily tasks I ask Photoshop to handle.  What I encountered was / is an app that is mostly aimed at those with little Photoshop experience or the ability to make substantive comparisons between the two apps.  My first few journeys into the AP world were taken up with the possibility of replacing the ridiculous floating image window and possibly finding a way to overcome that particular issue and create an image window that actually shows the image alone, instead of the useless oversized float.  I've spent probably more time than it was worth in AP trying to put together some more positive features, but to no avail unfortunately.  However, I will stop my rant here and let those who love working with AP bring forth all of the positive features for me to pursue.  Unfortunately I doubt that would be a long list if closely compared with PS.

I will however issue somewhat of a caveat to what I have written.  For those who own and work with AP on a daily basis, I'm sure you might be quite satisfied with the way the app performs, and I am in no way trying to discourage anyone from using AP.  I only take umbrage at those who seem to think that AP can or will ever replace PS, as mentioned in my opening sentence.

Gary     

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 11:22:45 am »

My first few journeys into the AP world were taken up with the possibility of replacing the ridiculous floating image window and possibly finding a way to overcome that particular issue and create an image window that actually shows the image alone, instead of the useless oversized float.

Hi Gary,

Indeed, currently, there is no "Full Screen" option, but TAB, followed by Ctrl-0, goes in the direction you were seeking.

But with enough feature requests, they might consider adding that.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Garnick

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 04:52:49 pm »

Hi Gary,

Indeed, currently, there is no "Full Screen" option, but TAB, followed by Ctrl-0, goes in the direction you were seeking.

But with enough feature requests, they might consider adding that.

Cheers,
Bart

Thanks Bart - I guess :-[. If possible would you please expand on your advice.  Not sure what you mean by TAB, followed by Ctrl-0.  Also, are working on Windows or Mac OS X?  As you know, Ctrl does not function the same on both platforms.

Gary
Gary N.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 07:49:10 pm »

Thanks Bart - I guess :-[. If possible would you please expand on your advice.  Not sure what you mean by TAB, followed by Ctrl-0.  Also, are working on Windows or Mac OS X?  As you know, Ctrl does not function the same on both platforms.

Hi Gary,

It was my mischievous attempt at finding out whether you're on a Windows or Mac OS platform, because that would then make it easier to explain. I'm on Windows 10.

TAB, is hitting the TAB key once, which will hide the panels in Affinity Photo (on Windows anyway).

Ctrl is the Windows 'equivalent' key of the Mac's 'Command' key. Ctrl/Command+0 (pressing both keys at the same time) is the keyboard short-cut to maximizing the zoom level in order to Fit the image in the active Window (on Windows anyway).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Garnick

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 08:28:43 pm »

Hi Gary,

It was my mischievous attempt at finding out whether you're on a Windows or Mac OS platform, because that would then make it easier to explain. I'm on Windows 10.

TAB, is hitting the TAB key once, which will hide the panels in Affinity Photo (on Windows anyway).

Ctrl is the Windows 'equivalent' key of the Mac's 'Command' key. Ctrl/Command+0 (pressing both keys at the same time) is the keyboard short-cut to maximizing the zoom level in order to Fit the image in the active Window (on Windows anyway).

Cheers,
Bart

Hello again Bart,

Well, I thought that's what you meant, but when I tried it the first time it made no difference at all in the size of the image or the window in which it floats.  That's the reason I replied to your first post to see if I had misinterpreted your instructions, but apparently I hadn't.  After trying the same procedure again I'll just call it quits for now.  But wait - there's more - another question lurks on the horizon.  Do you find the Affinity approach to opening and displaying an image to be useful in comparison to Photoshop's approach?  Quite frankly, I can see absolutely no positive aspects to the AP approach.  As a matter of fact I find it to be a rather huge hindrance that slows the workflow and makes it impossible to simply drag one image into another to create a separate layer for composites etc.  I realize one can copy and paste to achieve somewhat the same result, but again another bottleneck in the workflow in my opinion.  Since Affinity seems to be trying to replace PS, I believe they have a lot of work to do, and I do hope they are up to the task, for various reasons.  I guess I'll have to visit their forum and beat my drum there again, with probably few results, as previously.  In the interim I shall continue with my good OLD PS CS6, which I believe we have in common Bart.  Considering the volume of CC issues recently I image it will be a dark cold day that I will subscribe.  However, if I happen see a new shiny addition to the sub I might just jump on the wagon for a while and give it a test drive. 

Here's the image I tried the procedure on.  I don't need before and after versions, since they are both the same.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 08:35:19 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.

stanbowman

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 12:26:32 pm »

I have an iMac and a iPF 8300 that works about the same as the 8400. When I print I use the Canon supplied Photoshop plug-in for the Mac that makes printing super simple. However Canon has not created an Affinity plug-in so what I do is save the Affinity created image as a .jpg or .tif, then open it in Photoshop and use the Photoshop plug-in to print. A little more work but not too bad. I have tried printing straight from Affinity but then it opens up the standard Mac print window that I have never found easy to use, and also limited. I prefer to stay away from using it.

About Affinity, I find it to have most of the features of Photoshop but it just takes time to learn where to find things and develop a work flow. But the one thing that in its favor is the much smaller one time cost compared to the Adobe subscription plan. If you are willing to take the time to learn it, use it a lot, it may be worth the cost saving. That said I have not dropped my Adobe plan as I still go to it more frequently than Affinity. But that could change over time. And the other thing is that Affinity has a version for the iPad (also low cost) so I can at times work on images when away from my studio and easily bring them up when back for revisions and printing. Adobe has no equivalent iPad version....yet. Of course the obvious thing is when away from the studio have an iPad and Affinity for image editing and then take it back to the Studio for final editing and printing through Photoshop.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 12:37:07 pm by stanbowman »
Pages: [1]   Go Up