Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which CPU and how much RAM for Photoshop in 2018?  (Read 8571 times)

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Re: Which CPU and how much RAM for Photoshop in 2018?
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2018, 04:59:02 am »

While it’s true it has only 16 lanes from the CPU you still have the 4 from the main board to cpu which handle a 970 evo just fine.

I use one 970evo and the rest sata SSDs on the 9900k and on the other system two 970 pro 2tb. In all honestly, when something takes longer, like a complicated filter the ssd isn’t at fault.

In addition one has to remember that even a RTX 2080 Ti has only very slight performance increase by using 16 vs 8 pci.

In capture one for example I can use 2 x 2070 at pci 8 and still get around twice the performance. ( compared to PS, C1 actually uses and scales nicely with more GPUs)
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2018, 06:35:29 am »

...In all honestly, when something takes longer, like a complicated filter the ssd isn’t at fault.

That is not my experience... filters are CPU restricted i agree, but my photography/workflow is probably different:
I have to open, deal with and save many GB panorama's or change hundreds of nefs into 16 bit tifs.
-
Have no experience with Capture-one- i use LR, but i can imagine C1 is soo much faster if it uses the GPU-potential.
LR and photoshop uses the GPU hardly to none.. A fast GPU for LR/PS is wasted money, at least at the moment.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Christopher

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2018, 08:08:04 am »

Well, I only work with large files. And as I shoot mainly panoramic images processing speed is the most important part for me. That's also the reason why I don't bother with LR anymore except for DAM capabilities.

As I use a PCIe SSD as main working drive I never had a speed problem when opening and saving, I can also say I don't notice any difference between both PCs.

Just as a reference:

200 GFX raw files converted to 16bit TIFF files to a PCIe SSD and normal SATA SSD

Lightroom uses 100% CPU and takes 7:45 same time to the SATA drive

Capture One with one RTX 2070 3:12 and 1:58 with two RTX 2070. Difference between PCIe and SATA drive is around 30 seconds.

Opening and saving files in PS is certainly faster on a fast SSD, however, I get most time-saving at raw processing.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2018, 11:24:28 am »

OK good to know !

i will have a look at C1 version 12- have a modest GPU...
And i use LR complete the opposite: only for nef to tiff...
a central damm does not work for me...
yes LR CC uses the CPU to the limit... unlike version 6
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

faberryman

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2018, 01:34:31 pm »

200 GFX raw files converted to 16bit TIFF files to a PCIe SSD and normal SATA SSD
Is this a part of your normal workflow or did you just set it up as an arbitrary benchmark?

Christopher

Which CPU and how much RAM for Photoshop in 2018?
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2018, 01:51:47 pm »

Actually it depends. Sometimes it’s just 20raws to concert sometimes a few thousand.

So speed is often very important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

albytastic

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2019, 03:31:45 am »

I have an Intel six core i7 for processor, 32gb DDR4, and a Radeon RX570 video card with 4gb memory.  All of this is probably way overkill for photo software, but I got a great deal on it from my son, who bought a much bigger computer last summer.  He's a video game programmer for MicroSoft.  I think the most important thing is to get a graphics capable monitor of one sort or another.

Kent in SD

These days the GPU is becoming the most important thing in photo editing with the latst programs fronm Topaz really needing at least a mid range GPU to run properly.

I have a Z800 with 2 Zeon 5690 processors and 96GB RAM which kicks the crap out of most i7s when using all cores but I've recently installed a GeForce 1050Ti 4GB to run the Topaz programs in a reasonable time.

So a gaming PC with a good GPU could cope well since the GPU usually only uses 1 or 2 cores of the CPU.

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2019, 07:59:20 pm »

I too am possibly interested in the 2018 Mac Mini and have wondered about configurations. It's not at all clear to me though that most of those who kindly responded to this post are aware that the new Mac Mini is not available with a separate video card. It has an Intel UHD Graphics 630. I'm surely not as computer sophisticated as some of the posters but as I understand it to add a video card to the mini, one must use an outboard card with a separate chassis. There appears to be debate about whether a separate video card is really necessary.

Lloyd Chambers says it's important for video but downplays the need for Photoshop and LR, I think, somewhere in his review, I believe
. I'd love to hear some opinions from the experts who've responded on the question of the OP re which CPU and whether the extra $500 or so for an outboard video card is with it.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2019, 06:12:18 pm »

I too am possibly interested in the 2018 Mac Mini and have wondered about configurations. It's not at all clear to me though that most of those who kindly responded to this post are aware that the new Mac Mini is not available with a separate video card. It has an Intel UHD Graphics 630. I'm surely not as computer sophisticated as some of the posters but as I understand it to add a video card to the mini, one must use an outboard card with a separate chassis. There appears to be debate about whether a separate video card is really necessary.

Lloyd Chambers says it's important for video but downplays the need for Photoshop and LR, I think, somewhere in his review, I believe
. I'd love to hear some opinions from the experts who've responded on the question of the OP re which CPU and whether the extra $500 or so for an outboard video card is with it.

I use a Microsoft Surface Pro 6 for traveling and it has Intel 620 graphics.  It is certainly capable of processing files in C1, PS, etc, even from medium format cameras, albeit sometimes a bit slow on graphic intensive tasks compared to my i7 workstation with nVidia 1080 graphics.  The biggest problem with this approach is that Intel 620 or 630 or really any Intel embedded graphics is that it doesn't have it's own RAM for the image processing engine and has to borrow it from main system RAM, thereby reducing the amount of RAM available for other tasks including image editing.  The more memory you can stuff into the Mac Mini, the less of an issue this will be though.

Mariya321

• I'm a photographer and Graphic Designer
    • Graphic World 24
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2019, 10:59:09 am »

As you use  latest Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom software and various plug-ins for post production tasks, you should use PC of High configuration to perform your work smoothly and efficiently. In this respect, you should have minimum 8th generation core i7 processor(3.80 GHz), 16 GB RAM, 1 terabyte Hard Drive Disk. And I think you can purchase this config Photo Editing PC at an affordable budget.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up