Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help with Epson SC P800 driver  (Read 1954 times)

rdonson

Need help with Epson SC P800 driver
« on: October 27, 2018, 02:49:05 pm »

Background:
- Mac OS X 10.13.6 (High Sierra)
- iMac 27" 5K with  40 GB RAM
- Printer connected via USB

I took a couple months off of printing.  When I got back a couple of days ago I got stupid. I downloaded/installed the latest Epson Driver v10.16.  Unfortunately the install seems to have messed things up beyond belief.  I have reinstalled the driver and deleted the the stupid printer in "Printers and Scanners" that insisted on being "AirPrint" several times. 

I'm currently at the point where the driver dialog provides "Settings" and the Driver Version is 10.16 and "Location: Ron's iMac" (USB) and an empty Print Queue.  Supply levels are shown and everything looks ok from that standpoint.

I'm trying to print from Lightroom CC Classic 8.0 and what I see in "Print Settings" and "Printer" doesn't make sense to me.  I can't find a way to "Advanced B&W Photo" in the Printer dialogs even after setting the "Print Job" in Lightroom to "Managed by Printer" and the usual trick of going to "Color Matching" is grayed out. 

It would seem I've either lost my mind or something has changed significantly in the last 2 months.  I'm used to getting to "Advanced B&W Photo" from "Advanced Color Settings" - Instead I get a notice "Printer Color Management features have been disabled as color is managed by either your application or the operating system - To enable printer color management, please select printer managed color from your application or select "EPSON Color Matching dialog."

I have selected "managed by printer" in Color Management in Lightroom. Back in the Print dialog under "Printer Settings" "Advanced Color Settings" the usual stuff does NOT show up.  Instead I get Color Mode (EPSON Stand sRGB), Gamma, Brightness, etc.

I'm sure there is something simple I'm overlooking but at this point I'm stymied and frustrated. 

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

Regards,
Ron

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Need help with Epson SC P800 driver
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 03:25:54 pm »

I'm on OSX 10.11.6 (El Capitan), Epson SC-P5000 with driver version 10.16, so same driver. The attached screen grab shows the two menus that allow me to access ABW without a problem. I suggest you check whether you have the same settings.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 09:14:42 am by Mark D Segal »
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 11:51:43 pm »

I'm on OSX 10.11.6 (El Capitan(

Mark, I can't help but note that you are 3 major OS versions behind the current Mojave.  Might I ask why?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 09:21:14 am »

Mark, I can't help but note that you are 3 major OS versions behind the current Mojave.  Might I ask why?

Sure - it works very well, meets all my needs and I've seen no compelling reason to change it. I up-grade when there is a good functional reason to do so (e.g. compatibility with something else new that I want) and when the version to which I'm upgrading has been debugged and proven compatible with all my software. I also need to be mindful that my computer is a mid-2010 MacPro; although it has 24GB RAM and 24 virtual cores,2.66GHz clock-speed, it's still 8 years old and I suppose at some point some aspect of the hardware becomes incompatible with the latest and greatest operating system. That too works very well and still meets my needs. Waiting to see when and what Apple offers for the next MacPro.

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 11:33:30 am »

Mark,  thank you for your response!!!!  I greatly appreciate it.

After a good night's sleep and a hearty breakfast I went through the process again with a clean mind and no frustration.  Guess what?  I found ABW in "Print Mode" where it was supposed to be and likely where it was all along. 

I feel kind of silly but I guess that's just part of life. 

Thanks again for your patience and quick response.
Regards,
Ron

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 11:38:09 am »

You are welcome Ron. Printer drivers can be mind-benders, happens to the best of us! :-)

BradSmith

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 01:06:16 pm »

This is just one more great example of the value of Lula.  I haven't been clear about how to get to ABW in some time but never took the time to figure it out.  Now with Mark's perfect explanation and jpg screen shots, it is crystal clear.  I've copied this into a simple note that is now filed away for future reference (once I forget how to do it again ;).

Ron, thanks for posting the question and Mark, thanks for your clear response.

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 03:35:20 pm »

Sure - it works very well, meets all my needs and I've seen no compelling reason to change it. I up-grade when there is a good functional reason to do so (e.g. compatibility with something else new that I want) and when the version to which I'm upgrading has been debugged and proven compatible with all my software. I also need to be mindful that my computer is a mid-2010 MacPro; although it has 24GB RAM and 24 virtual cores,2.66GHz clock-speed, it's still 8 years old and I suppose at some point some aspect of the hardware becomes incompatible with the latest and greatest operating system. That too works very well and still meets my needs. Waiting to see when and what Apple offers for the next MacPro.

Mark, as a follow-up to Ron’s question to you about updating the OS, it’s been on my mind for a while to ask the same thing.

I too am still on El Capitan, with Lightroom CC 2015.6.1 and Photoshop CC 2015.5.1.  It all works for me, and I haven’t felt a need or inclination to update anything.

The one thing I do consider is OS security, but only because I read from time to time about the importance of upgrading the OS for enhanced security.

So what are your thoughts (and others’ who may read this) about what aspects of security we may be missing out on?  I’m scrupulous about not clicking on links in emails, but what other security considerations might matter in not updating the OS?
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 04:59:00 pm »

The one thing I do consider is OS security, but only because I read from time to time about the importance of upgrading the OS for enhanced security.

So what are your thoughts (and others’ who may read this) about what aspects of security we may be missing out on?  .....................

None as far as I'm aware (and I realize what we don't know CAN hurt us) - but seriously, when Apple finds security flaws they issue updates to the relevant system versions they are still supporting, so I don't think it's a problem. If they deprecate a system version to the extent of no longer supporting security patches for it, then it's time to move onward. I don't think El Capitan is in that territory yet.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 05:00:15 pm »

This is just one more great example of the value of Lula.  ............

Ron, thanks for posting the question and Mark, thanks for your clear response.

You are welcome. Glad it helps.

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 05:30:18 pm »

None as far as I'm aware (and I realize what we don't know CAN hurt us) - but seriously, when Apple finds security flaws they issue updates to the relevant system versions they are still supporting, so I don't think it's a problem. If they deprecate a system version to the extent of no longer supporting security patches for it, then it's time to move onward. I don't think El Capitan is in that territory yet.

Thank you, Mark.  I did not understand Apple’s protocols for updating current and past OSs, so your reply prompted to me to search a little, and I found this: https://www.computerworld.com/article/3277983/mac-os-x/apple-patches-macs-as-it-starts-retirement-clock-for-el-capitan.html.  Assuming the article is correct, it appears that the advent of Mohave means that the time of security patches for El Capitan may be or is over.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 05:38:53 pm »

Thanks, that's worthwhile being aware of. I shall watch for what happens.

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2018, 05:51:03 pm »

I wonder if the norm would be for me to apologize for going off topic from the OP’s interest, and to suggest that this diversion go to another location, e.g., Computers & Peripherals
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2018, 07:51:58 pm »

You're right this tangent is OT, but I think we've exhausted it - if anyone has more on this however, I agree a new thread elsewhere would be appropriate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up