Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Article Just Published - The NEW Leica M10-D  (Read 12492 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
New Article Just Published - The NEW Leica M10-D
« on: October 25, 2018, 02:00:11 pm »

I just published an article on the new Leica M10-D.  Is it a camera I like?  Not really.  I prefer the tried and true M10.  Read why HERE.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: New Article Just Published - The NEW Leica M10-D
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 03:28:12 pm »

I really wonder how many of these Leica will sell with an $8K price tag.  You could buy a couple of the new Nikon Z cameras WITH lenses for this kind of money.

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 03:35:23 pm »

This, to my mind, makes no sense at all! I used to shake my head when Leica introduced the so called "limited editions" or some such but this is absurd. It's almost as if they had a contest to see who could come up with something as clumsy and unworkable as possible. 8 large is bad enough but another $500 for the viewfinder?  That's worse than the fancy coffee shops putting tip jars on the counter after charging you $5.00 for a cup of coffee!!

BTW Kev, two words, collar buttons  ;)
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Rand47

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 03:39:44 pm »

"One toke over the line sweet Jesus
One toke over the line
Sittin' downtown in a railway station
One toke over the line . . . "

What are they smokin'?  I LOVE Leica... but this has to be the worst of both worlds . . .   Hey! Maybe they'll have a "pre-scuffed/brassed" version for another grand or so.  And... you could add dents for $300.00 each to get one custom "just for you!"

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 04:36:18 pm »

well... if i want the experience of shooting film ... i shoot film. no need to emulate ...

Telecaster

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 05:18:29 pm »

For reasons inexplicable to me, some folks really like these feature-crippled models. Not my cuppa…but even Leica's current M10 smartgizmo app has stronger wifi capabilities than the apps offered by other brands. I'm looking forward to trying out the new M app released along with this camera.

-Dave-

jaclarkaus

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 05:40:34 pm »

Finally, after reading a few fanboy reviews ... the truth is spoke ...

THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES!

JeanMichel

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 05:42:33 pm »

I am one of the ‘niche’ users of Leica cameras, mind you, two niches  removed from the M10-D. I used film M’s and now an M9 and M-P.  I do also use a Canon 5D2 for some work and am intrigued by the newest mirrorless offerings, but am too comfortable with my M’s. I would be happy with a M10-P because of the somewhat better viewfinder and the level (the level is missing in the M10), but my current two bodies serve me well enough. The M10-D has zero appeal to me, but if it can be sold to willing buyers and adds positively to the company’s bottom line and keeps Leica progressing with their other projects, then why not.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 06:15:59 pm »

What a strange time of year for the April Fool's Day issue!
What? This is real?? You didn't crib the article from the Onion???    :o
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 06:25:16 pm »

How is one supposed to shoot handheld? Phone/tablet in one hand, camera in the other? Perhaps I am wrong and people do lots of street photography with a tripod.
Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

fotagf8

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 08:15:26 pm »

I have been using an M camera for 9 years, although not as much lately, so the Leica decision is not a matter of cost.  I bit that bullet long ago. 

Each to his or her own, but for me, this camera makes no sense.  Why give up a useful feature (the screen) and have to make adjustments on a separate device, which may be low on battery?

It seems to me that this camera poses similar questions to the one posed by the never ending vinyl, CD, and streaming debate--Is the analog experience better?  I sold all my vinyl and most of my CDs long ago.  Everything sits on a server managed by Roon.  To me, vinyl was always a hassle.  When a new technology came along to replace it, vinyl became romanticized.  Ironically, I financed my first Leica M and several lenses by selling some rare vinyl box sets on e-Bay.

On the other hand, I loved the game Labyrinth as a kid--moving the ball through a maze.  First I completed the game, then I saw how many times I could complete it in a row, and then I did it backwards.  Finally, I put paper above the board to see whether I could do it "blindfolded."  I guess this new Leica meets similar desires in some people.

BJL

The NEW Leica M10-D — and its chic French cousin, the Pixii
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 10:21:47 pm »

The Leica M10 D is not even the only M-mount manual focus rangefinder camera announced this week that boasts the lack of a rear screen because one can replace it with a phone — there is also the Pixii.

To be fair, the user does not need to use the phone very much, so long as settings other than the film-era ones do not need to be changed. But overall, there is apparently an upscale market for a purely negative kind of nostalgia built on rejecting as many advantages of new technology as possible, or at least pretending to. It is not as if there is an argument here that omitting "unneeded" features keeps the price down.

P. S. I like the photo at Pixii that shows a left-eyed photographer struggling with the anti-sinistral rangefinder layout.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 04:36:05 am »

A large part of the joy of my Leica M system is the pure simplicity on offer. Why on earth Leica have decided to complicate the process with this *crippled offering is beyond my comprehension.

*nice description, Dave.

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 04:46:11 am »

This model could be a loss maker, the inevitable lemon. I hope it doesn't pan out that way.

If there are four areas where digi score over film, it has to be, for me, these:

1. you don't have to keep changing films quite as often;

2. once you have a card, that's the only film you have to buy;

3. Nikon's Matrix metering is amazing and auto ISO a useful reality;

4. the rear screen is invaluable in difficult lighting such as backlighting  - why would you scorn it and the histogram in such conditions?

I used film and meters all my career; there was no particular pleasure that I can remember attached to the metering part of the operation.

Strikes me as being an almost insulting attitude towards one's own customer base. It's as if Leica were saying: yeah, you're a real photographer and don't need to consult anything other than your experience! Confirmation is for sissies!

Of course, I may be uninformed, and Leica has developed an even more wonderful metering system than has Nikon, in which case, all bets are off and I put my neck on the block.

Rob

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 04:54:41 am »

The Pixii sort of does the same thing, so if you want to experience what it was like to shoot film and not be able to check the results, you can do so for a lot less money:

https://pixii.fr/

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2018, 07:55:28 am »

Thing is, if you are going to use a screen then you really want it to inform you just before you press that tiny button. Alternatively, it serves a good purpose as digital Polaroid post-exposure. But, on the same device, which I'd have imagined to be kinda obvious...

But then, they are promoting that pixie as something special, so no expectation they'd reveal its flaws, impracticalities.

:-)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2018, 08:00:50 am »

The Pixii sort of does the same thing, so if you want to experience what it was like to shoot film and not be able to check the results, you can do so for a lot less money:

AFAIK, the price for the Pixii has not been announced.  It also has no memory card so everything gets uploaded to the phone.  Focusing and aperture control are all manual.  Not planning on going down this road.

jeremyrh

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2018, 09:21:21 am »

Being French, the chances that the software will work as required are approximately zero.  I'll stick with my on-camera screen for now, thanks.

faberryman

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2018, 10:05:58 am »

You can also just not look, or if you can''t help yourself, turn off the rear screen. Both solutions are free of charge.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 10:11:05 am by faberryman »

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2018, 10:16:00 am »

AFAIK, the price for the Pixii has not been announced.  It also has no memory card so everything gets uploaded to the phone.  Focusing and aperture control are all manual.  Not planning on going down this road.

As I said, "sort of the same thing". I am sure the price will be significantly lower than Leica. focusing and aperture control all manual? Even more purist than Leica then.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up