Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to export images from LR for use in a photobook  (Read 670 times)

bgberlin01

Best way to export images from LR for use in a photobook
« on: October 25, 2018, 10:26:09 am »

My final selection consists of a combo. of TIFF, JPG, DNG & RAW images.(max file size 20 mp). For final conversion for use in photobook I'm making, JPG is being exported as JPG all others as 8-bit TIFF (16 bit tiffs are too large). Does this seem like a good process? Page size is 11.5 x 8".  Hoping to get max resolution and sharpness for the printed images.  Thanks

John Caldwell

Re: Best way to export images from LR for use in a photobook
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 12:10:31 pm »

Not aware of any advantage to keep your jpg a jpg at export time. You are inherently imposing a second level of jpg compression on that export. My vote would be to export as 8 bit TIFF, appropriate ICC profile and resolution. Others may know about best jpg strategies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmward

Re: Best way to export images from LR for use in a photobook
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 10:47:03 am »

Check with whoever is publishing your book.
If it's one of the plethora of photobook publishers they generally want JPG in sRGB. If that's the case I use the Lightroom export or print module to generate the JPGs.

If its a "real" publisher, then they have specifications for the files as well. My experience in that area has been that they will have a link to an ICC profile that should be assigned to TIFF files on export.
That's easily accomplished in Lightroom export module. Do it all the time.  For publishing with pre-press, I provide full sized 16bit TIFF files with ACES ICC profile. I've been told be several clients that that's a "standard default" ICC profile that the printers they use can change to the specific ICC profile for the print job at hand.

File size is never something I consider. It is what it is based on the final requirements.
Pages: [1]   Go Up