Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CC 2019 update issues  (Read 2695 times)

Redcrown

CC 2019 update issues
« on: October 20, 2018, 02:37:25 pm »

I have 2 Windows 10 systems.

My "main" is a full desktop that I keep locked down. No auto updates allowed on anything, including Windows OS. It's still on old version 1511. I've followed this strategy ever since my 3rd BSOD from Microsoft updates years ago.

My "secondary" is a Surface Pro4. It's my sacrifical lamb. I let Windows auto update at will, and it seems to do that 1 or 2 times a week. For reasons I don't understand, it still stays a few versions behind. It last updated 2 days ago, but is at version 1803, while 1809 was released 2 weeks ago. Something in Microsoft's logic controls the rollouts and I must be near the end of the queue.

Adobe CC won't let me update the main system. Release notes say you have to be at Windows 10 version 1709 or greater. No problem. It did let me update the Surface Pro4.

Photoshop CC 2019 crashed on the each of the first 4 simple tests I ran. So I switched to the Performance Options = Legacy Compositing, and now everything seems OK, no crashes. However, I can't find what "Legacy Compositing" costs. Any features lost? Slower performance?

I found one short thread on Adobe forums where people were guessing (that it's only slower), but no credible info there. Anybody know for sure?

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: CC 2019 update issues
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 03:22:41 pm »

Photoshop CC 2019 crashed on the each of the first 4 simple tests I ran. So I switched to the Performance Options = Legacy Compositing, and now everything seems OK, no crashes. However, I can't find what "Legacy Compositing" costs. Any features lost? Slower performance?

Based on Adobe's characteristically pellucid end-user documentation, it appears to be ... umm ... a switch to turn off bugs.

mlewis

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 08:16:06 am »

My "secondary" is a Surface Pro4. It's my sacrifical lamb. I let Windows auto update at will, and it seems to do that 1 or 2 times a week. For reasons I don't understand, it still stays a few versions behind. It last updated 2 days ago, but is at version 1803, while 1809 was released 2 weeks ago. Something in Microsoft's logic controls the rollouts and I must be near the end of the queue.
1809 was pulled a few days after release due to a bug that could delete data in the user's documents folder.  It hasn't been released back to Windows Update yet.  No one will get it from Windows update at the moment.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 10:51:48 pm »

Windows 10, Creative Cloud update for 2019 apps broke file associations

Since updating to PSCC 2019 (version 20) I have lost all file associations for JPG, TIFF, NEF, ARW etc.

If I attempt to re-associate these filetypes in Windows 10 Settings, no CC apps appear under "Choose a default" except AI.

Similarly, right clicking on one of those filetypes yields a list that does not include any CC apps except AI (Adobe Illustrator)

Any idea how to fix this?

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 04:24:49 am »

I am still on Windows 1803 also and

CC 2019 freeezes sometimes after the computer has gone to sleep and wakes up from it, CC 2018 (still installed) didn't and doesn't.

Methinks CC2019 is looking guilty over there...

Jack

Dale Villeponteaux

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 05:31:09 pm »

This may be related to the presence of an external drive:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-freezing-during-sleep

I had the same problem, cured by disconnecting my only external drive.

Regards,
Dale
My avatar isn't an accurate portrayal; I have much less hair.

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 03:15:34 am »

This may be related to the presence of an external drive:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-freezing-during-sleep

I had the same problem, cured by disconnecting my only external drive.

Thanks Dale, that thread describes my problem exactly.  I don't have an external drive, I have two internal drives that have never caused freezing problems.  Sounds like Adobe needs to do some fixin'.
Jack

Peter McLennan

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 11:32:41 am »

Windows 10, Creative Cloud update for 2019 apps broke file associations
Since updating to PSCC 2019 (version 20) I have lost all file associations for JPG, TIFF, NEF, ARW etc.

Update: after an extended online help session with Microsoft support, the solution was a complete "in-place re-install" of Windows 10.  Took several hours. :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up