Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Show us your ride  (Read 11560 times)

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: Show us your ride
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2018, 04:00:40 pm »

When the snow comes these are my rides.

Nice, I used to be a pin head but a chronic foot issue has limited that somewhat. I can still tele on soft boots so I have a S-Bound/Switchback rig with some Fisher leather boots that work well in decent snow when it's not too steep. Otherwise I've gone to AT gear for more ambitious tours and ski area riding. I tried a new NTN setup last year hoping it might work with my foot better but it didn't (need some NTN gear? :D).
-MattB

Telecaster

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2018, 05:02:38 pm »

Forgot I had the attached pic on my iPad. It features both my last bike (to date) and my first car. The bike was a 3-speed Schwinn while the car (a 1971 Plymouth Satellite) was an eventual hand-me-down from my dad. No idea why I'm dressed up. Circa summer 1972.

-Dave-

Riverman

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2018, 06:13:58 pm »

Matt,
I'd love to have an AT setup, but I still use a cable binding and plastic boots.  I particularly like my S Bounds for touring around in the back-country.  I've made some wonderful turns with that setup!   I'll just be happy this year to get any snow. Other than my mountain bike, my skis are my favorite ride.   

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2018, 06:22:46 pm »

Forgot I had the attached pic on my iPad. It features both my last bike (to date) and my first car. The bike was a 3-speed Schwinn while the car (a 1971 Plymouth Satellite) was an eventual hand-me-down from my dad. No idea why I'm dressed up. Circa summer 1972.

-Dave-

Well hopefully you have kept up on your bike maintenance! My '71 Peugeot needs a little TLC every now and then.  ;)
-MattB

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2018, 06:38:28 pm »

Matt,
I'd love to have an AT setup, but I still use a cable binding and plastic boots.  I particularly like my S Bounds for touring around in the back-country.  I've made some wonderful turns with that setup!   I'll just be happy this year to get any snow. Other than my mountain bike, my skis are my favorite ride.

I feel the same way. I have a couple of cars too (A Forester and a Tacoma) but they are mostly a means for getting to do the kind of riding I really enjoy. Fortunately for me I can do a lot of cycling from the house but skiing usually involves some driving unless I'm just cruising the neighborhood.
-MattB

James Clark

« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2018, 07:23:15 pm »

My son had an MX5 for years, then sold it and bought a hot Focus which was soon sold - and another MX5 came home with him. I very much fancy the new MX5 thingy with the hard top that folds down. Far too expensive for a pensioner like moi, but pretty as hell when you see it in a lovely, metallic red! It could easily replace the little Mercedes SLK when the lottery comes up. Not that I have the Merc, but it has been on the "when the lottery" list for quite a long while. I do not covet large cars at all, despìte my photo-fetish for the '59 Coupe de Ville. I would never have one of those top-heavy SUV things. Probably the ugliest example of those that I've actually seen is the Porsche version. Yuk! Well, maybe the BMW ones run a close second to it.

Basically, available funding aside, I don't really think it's worth spending big money on cars; perhaps during the mid part of a business career, but once folks know about you, you no longer need to keep on proving your position quite so desperately.

If those numbers do come up, then I reserve the right to have a rethink!

;-)

P.S.

'59 was a very good year. Not only for the Caddy, but also the Chevrolet Impala Sport Coupe, with those amazing eyebrows at the rear.

MX5s / Miatas - I love em!  The first car I bought myself was a beautiful blue (almost purple) metallic over tan, and I've had a succession of them since.  I'm currently Miataless, but one of the new ones is calling. 

They're just amazing cars, and even though I've been fortunate to own a variety of other high-end machines, the Miata remains one of my favorites.

Here's my last one - a 2012 I built up for the race track. 

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2018, 07:48:12 pm »

My 2000 Honda Civic is perfect for living in a mountain canyon.  And in a pinch it can be used as a pick-up truck.  I stopped in the middle of the road to collect this wood while in my work clothes.  Just got it all sawed up for winter. 

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2018, 08:02:17 pm »

Riding with my neighbor on mountain roads.

Ivophoto

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2018, 02:36:36 pm »

-Dave-

Now that is what I call a car!

Rob C

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2018, 04:06:32 pm »

Now that is what I call a car!

I think the pecking order ran: Plymouth, Dodge, De Soto, Chrysler? To what extent they were nothing but badge engineering with bits of added chrome, engine options, I don't know. (But then there's one helluva lot I don't know, and that list gets longer every five minutes - and I'm not including digital things here, which I ignore, because they would increase the shame factor no end.) Either way, they made most of our European saloons look a bit miserable in comparison.

There really was a time of the American Dream, and it existed for a good few decades. The UK seems to have had the 60s and 70s. I put my faith in American Graffiti. A copy should have gone up in the rocket with that Chuck Berry number. Of course, that's another thing I realise I don't know: which came first - the capsule or the movie?

Oh well, just time for another episode of House before I hit the sack. I'm staring to think the iPad is more rewarding today than the camera.

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2018, 04:59:18 pm »

Chrysler was the premium brand while by my time Plymouth & Dodge were (or at least seemed) roughly equal in status. My dad *alternated between the latter two brands, choosing particular models based on the engine and drivetrain used. Looks weren't that important, though the rest of the family had veto power over anything too ugly. As for DeSoto, it said adios not long after I first screamed hello:)

-Dave-

*After the company started throwing money at him to not retire, Dad started leasing cars. With Anna gone and me out west & then in the Middle East, he made some strange choices…seemingly at whim.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2018, 07:21:15 pm »

Parked for the night

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2018, 07:25:31 pm »

Parked for the night
That beats all the others so far, Les!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2018, 08:39:22 pm »

Thank you, Eric! My other airplane is parked behind the house.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2018, 12:12:25 am »

Thank you, Eric! My other airplane is parked behind the house.
That must be the 747 that wouldn't fit in the garage.   :D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2018, 05:47:53 am »

Two mean cars. Hard to decide between them.

Ivophoto

Show us your ride
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2018, 07:07:55 am »

Two mean cars. Hard to decide between them.

The right one is a Rover?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2018, 08:34:56 am »

I think, it's a Jaguar XK from 1950's or 1960's
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 08:39:37 am by LesPalenik »

Rob C

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2018, 10:04:05 am »

I think, it's a Jaguar XK from 1950's or 1960's

As far as I recall, they (Jags) came with choice of either 2.4, 2.8 or 3.4 litre engines.

The most ugly one, like two cigars in bondage together, was the Mk 10.

Sins from the bins.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2018, 12:51:05 pm »

Our beloved Mini Cooper is getting long in the tooth, 11 years old and counting. Try as I might I can't seem to convince my darling, beautiful and talented wife - you get the picture - that a sensible replacement would be an 8 to ten year old Porsche Cayman.

Funny that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up