Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Canon Pro 2000

(1/5) > >>

petercorb:
I recently bought a Canon Pro 2000 and have encountered a couple of frustrating issues.
I build my own paper profiles and got around to using the Media Config. Tool. Read the manual, and as much (relevant) info as I could, including the review here on LL.
When I got to the Edit Custom Paper Dialog Box, once again, I did some research before changing anything, I started from the Paper Feed Adjustment.
On the advice of Canon:  "IMPORTANT - If The Paper Feed adjustment is not executed horizontal stripes with different colour tones may appear in the printed material..."
Another source from Keith Cooper of Northlight Images quotes in his review about the Paper Feed Adjustment "The most useful - even if i'm changing nothing else - is the feed adjustment" so I executed this adjustment and in return used a nice big chunk of paper with the a feed pattern.
I went through the other adjustments leaving them as is (I decided to leave the Advanced Paper Setting where one can adjust ink usage to see the result, one can always return and revise) and then added my own custom profile in the ICC Profile tab.
Another point that Keith Cooper noted was that:
"One setting that I know causes confusion (from my PRO-1000 review), is the option to specify an ICC paper profile for the media type.
Apart from the fact that I’ve not yet printed a target to make a profile, this setting seemed to be of no particular use in any subsequent print testing. Then again I’m used to always specifying what profile I want to use when printing, so maybe this is not aimed at the likes of me ;-)"
I wasn't quite sure what exactly Keith meant here, but like him I always specify my own profile before printing - I did in fact insert my profile here. Since have come across this issue from Martin Bailey: https://www.martinbaileyphotography.com/2017/05/15/how-to-avoid-color-issues-on-imageprograf-pro-printers-podcast-573/#comment-123891
Anyway the upshot was that when I uploaded to the Base Printer all was good, I then tried to update to the driver to access the new Custom Paper settings in the print dialog and got the following message: Error - Support Code: 19 Utility function cannot be used... What this meant was that the revised info could not be sent to the driver for selection at the point of printing. After more thoughts I realised that it was a permissions issue with High Sierra so after changing all the permissions on all applications and sub-applications it worked and the new Custom Paper Setting appeared in the Print Dialog to allow selection.
Now for the next problem: I have serious banding in the prints. Have reset everything by individual paper and all media reset from the panel, and been through the whole of the Canon routine on this issue in the manual twice (using much paper ink and patience I might add) cant get rid of the banding...

dehnhaide:
Hi Peter,

Could you please be so kind and add a couple of examples of that banding you're experiencing?! I am also an PRO-2000 owner and so far trying to build custom paper profiles has ba hell on Earth for me. I only own a Colormunki Design and no matter what software I used (Colormunki own one or Argyll) to get a proper profile it still resulted in a fiasco. I basically only get profiles that have a strong purple cast and I'm working with the luster similar type of paper. However, when printing from Canon Print Studio Pro and using the say Canon Pro Luster Paper profile on my paper everything looks almost perfect. With my created profile: no go!
There is one type of test image however (a TIF from Digital Dog) where I am not getting that annoying purple cast. However I remember having seen a similar topic with another PRO-4000 owner having the same issus with his own created profiles.

Else... Thanks a lot for your post! I wouldn't have found out about the Paper Feed Adjustment. I had no idea that was necessary! :(

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

petercorb:
My issue is not the profiles I build, I have used an i1 with Publisher for many years with both Epson and Canon printers and never had a problem with any kind of colour casts - my issue is severe banding!

My issue started when I used the Media Config. Tool in order to crate a Custom profile using one of the Canon recommended media.

It seems the problem was caused by initiating the Paper Feed Adjustment (as recommended by Canon in the user manual)

Resetting everything has not been a remedy so something in the mechanical adjustment - i.e. Paper feed is stuck!

Another interesting observation; looking at the information files on Canon's own media settings: Paper Feed Adjustment - Not Performed

So, why does Canon in their manual recommend such an adjustment - I should have stuck with my 20 years with Epson...

Panagiotis:

--- Quote from: petercorb on October 21, 2018, 05:34:56 pm ---My issue is not the profiles I build, I have used an i1 with Publisher for many years with both Epson and Canon printers and never had a problem with any kind of colour casts - my issue is severe banding!

My issue started when I used the Media Config. Tool in order to crate a Custom profile using one of the Canon recommended media.

It seems the problem was caused by initiating the Paper Feed Adjustment (as recommended by Canon in the user manual)

Resetting everything has not been a remedy so something in the mechanical adjustment - i.e. Paper feed is stuck!

Another interesting observation; looking at the information files on Canon's own media settings: Paper Feed Adjustment - Not Performed

So, why does Canon in their manual recommend such an adjustment - I should have stuck with my 20 years with Epson...

--- End quote ---

Is the nozzle check pattern clear? Is it possible to share a picture of a printed paper showing the problem?

Panagiotis:

--- Quote from: dehnhaide on October 21, 2018, 03:11:07 pm ---Hi Peter,

Could you please be so kind and add a couple of examples of that banding you're experiencing?! I am also an PRO-2000 owner and so far trying to build custom paper profiles has ba hell on Earth for me. I only own a Colormunki Design and no matter what software I used (Colormunki own one or Argyll) to get a proper profile it still resulted in a fiasco. I basically only get profiles that have a strong purple cast and I'm working with the luster similar type of paper. However, when printing from Canon Print Studio Pro and using the say Canon Pro Luster Paper profile on my paper everything looks almost perfect. With my created profile: no go!
There is one type of test image however (a TIF from Digital Dog) where I am not getting that annoying purple cast. However I remember having seen a similar topic with another PRO-4000 owner having the same issus with his own created profiles.

Else... Thanks a lot for your post! I wouldn't have found out about the Paper Feed Adjustment. I had no idea that was necessary! :(

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

How do you print the targets for building the profiles? Mark Segal in his Canon PRO-2000 review advises to print the targets with the Canon PSP plugin with color management OFF and not with Adobe Color Printer Utility.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version