Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Teardown of the Canon EOS R  (Read 2578 times)

Kirk_C

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Teardown of the Canon EOS R
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 02:15:20 am »

Nothing un-expected, the R is indeed a mirrorless 6DmkII with a 5DmkIV sensor inside.

Cheers,
Bernard

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 02:35:55 am »

Nothing un-expected, the R is indeed a mirrorless 6DmkII with a 5DmkIV sensor inside.

Cheers,
Bernard

Don't see how you got that at all. Its mirrorless and has a different sensor. Its a different size and a different shape. What are the significant similarities you see you see? The weather sealing perhaps? Its the frequently mentioned thing in the write up.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 03:35:22 am »

Don't see how you got that at all. Its mirrorless and has a different sensor. Its a different size and a different shape. What are the significant similarities you see you see? The weather sealing perhaps? Its the frequently mentioned thing in the write up.

That seems to be the conclusion of the tester as I read though it.

But it is also the positioning of the R.

Cheers,
Bernard

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 01:45:24 pm »

Did they ever put it back together in working order?

kirkt

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 02:21:52 pm »

Here is Kolari Vision's teardown of the Nikon Z7:

https://kolarivision.com/nikon-z7-dissasembly-teardown/

kirk

Kirk_C

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 11:14:57 pm »

It's Bernard. He's the original Nikon fanboy and can't help himself. ;D

Roger does make two comments in his summary of the tear down referencing the 6D II.

"It was rather a boring disassembly, really, about what we should expect for Canon doing a Canon 6D Mark II quality mirrorless camera."

Emphasis on the word quality is mine. That's how I read the comment. He's not calling it a 6DII.

He goes on to say. 

"The Canon EOS-R sells currently for $2299. It’s very close in build quality and weather sealing to the Canon 6D II which sells for about $1600. So for $600 you get the R mount, cool new slider bar thingie, a bit better (we assume) processing and four more megapixels. That actually sounds fairly reasonable to me."

Again bolded sentence is my emphasis.

Kirk_C

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 11:24:24 pm »

Here is Kolari Vision's teardown of the Nikon Z7:

https://kolarivision.com/nikon-z7-dissasembly-teardown/

kirk

So based on this they like the camera but would be happy to sell you a custom upgrade if you like/own pricey legacy glass. I guess you wouldn't want to find fault in a camera you sell an upgrade for would you.  :P

I think we can conclude as these articles and as user reviews appear that Canon has built a Canon mid-level quality camera and Nikon has done their best at building a Nikon.

chez

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 10:31:29 am »

Of note it appears the weather sealing is basically the same as the Sony cameras which get a lot of heat for...I guess we can pile that heat onto the Canon camera now?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 09:11:31 am »

It's Bernard. He's the original Nikon fanboy and can't help himself. ;D

Roger does make two comments in his summary of the tear down referencing the 6D II.

"It was rather a boring disassembly, really, about what we should expect for Canon doing a Canon 6D Mark II quality mirrorless camera."

"The Canon EOS-R sells currently for $2299. It’s very close in build quality and weather sealing to the Canon 6D II which sells for about $1600. So for $600 you get the R mount, cool new slider bar thingie, a bit better (we assume) processing and four more megapixels. That actually sounds fairly reasonable to me."

Yes, did I write anything different?

Not my fault if you have a negative opinion about the Canon 6D II, there was nothing negative implied in my comment.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 09:15:21 am by BernardLanguillier »

Kirk_C

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 12:57:28 pm »

Yes, did I write anything different?

Not my fault if you have a negative opinion about the Canon 6D II, there was nothing negative implied in my comment.

Cheers,
Bernard

There's a smiley face after my comment, take it in that light.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 03:11:14 pm »

There's a smiley face after my comment, take it in that light.

Well, more humour and less quoted bold texts would probably work even better at conveying your feelings. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 04:53:01 pm »

Like I said in another thread, I was so impressed by the Canon R that I bought a Sony A7R3. My plan was to use it adapted to my fleet of Canon optics as a holding pattern until Canon got their crap together with sensor quality.

After a week with the Sony I decided to dump almost all of my Canon optics and I have a crate of Sony gear arriving tomorrow and a 400f2.8GM coming in a few weeks.

I liked my Canon optics but if you do not have a good sensor to put them on then all is lost. I lost faith waiting for them to change their arrogant attitude. And native lenses just work much better than adapted. Basically all I kept were my 17/24II/90II TS and 180 macro. (Could not find a better 180 at this point).

I was initially concerned that optically I would loose a bit in some areas with Sony; but the manufactures MTF curves put all the Sony GM optics I am getting ahead of the Canon I am replacing, and those that I tested directly on the same body confirm what those curves are saying.

For a few years I thought Bernard was a bit too intensive on his promotion of Nikon and their sensors over Canon, (read fanboy to the max), but in reality he was right on that one. Although over all I still believe Canon optics hold their own very well with Nikon.

I could have gone Nikon, as of course there sensor status has been great, but they are too much at a cross road themselves to invest in F mount while they slowly roll out the mirrorless side. So, I could not fully join Bernard but instead found middle ground.

Does this mean I will have to change my avatar picture?
Dr D White DDS BSc

Dan Wells

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 05:09:47 pm »

LensRentals is apparently sitting on a completed teardown of the Z7 because they haven't had a chance to write it up yet... I'd love to see that one - interested in whether it is in EOS R/Sony territory in terms of ruggedness and sealing, or D850 territory (also occupied by some Fujis, Olympus, Pentax and Canon's top DSLRs)...

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 05:57:32 pm »

Congrats, you are half way there!  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

David Good

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2018, 08:46:54 pm »

Quote from: D White link=topic=127189.msg1074733#msg1074733 date=15404143z

Does this mean I will have to change my avatar picture?
[/quote

Of course!

I am also a former Canon shooter gone over to Sony for much the same reasons.

Dave

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 03:38:46 pm »

Did they ever put it back together in working order?

It is my understanding that Lens Rentals likes to learn how to dissemble and reassemble all their gear so they ca fix it without sending it to Canon, or other manufacturer... they have the lens or camara back ready to be rented... so I will say yes... the camara is back in order

http://dgpfotografia.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up