Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Pro-100 ink: Canon vs. 1ink.com

(1/1)

rasworth:
I'm happy with the print results from my Canon Pro-100, but it goes thru ink cartridges fairly fast.  I've always used manufacturer's ink in my printers, but I would like to know if anybody has experience with the compatible cartridges from 1ink.com.  An 8 pack of their ink is $50, Canon from B&H $125.

I'm not interested in going the refillable route.  I make my own printer profiles, so as long as the ink is consistent and doesn't damage the printer I can adapt.

Thanks for your input,

Richard Southworth

rasworth:
Anybody done business with 1ink, have an opinion on the company?

Richard Southworth

stockjock:
You might check over on dpreview.com where there are many more users of the Pro 100 and alternative inks.  As far as I can tell, although most of the posters there use Precision Colors, there doesn't seem to be much evidence of one third party ink being better than the others.  There is a consensus that the longevity of ALL third party inks is a fraction of what the Pro 100 inks are.  I use the Pro 100 for certain projects and refill cartridges using Precision Colors which cuts my ink costs 80-90% and the lack of longevity is actually a feature for what I am doing.  Personally, I don't think $50 for a full set of cartridges is cheap enough to offset the huge drop in longevity.  Also, keep in mind ink is used at very different rates so you are going to end up buying individual cartridges at a higher cost from time to time.  Finally, I found it necessary to make custom profiles for the Precision Colors ink to get the results I wanted.

rasworth:
Thanks for the input.

Richard Southworth

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version