Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: DNG puzzle  (Read 9852 times)

32BT

• Pictures
Re: DNG puzzle
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2018, 06:38:27 pm »

Snak all ya want butthead...but I'm pretty sure Thomas has done far more for the industry than you have, right?

I have no problem with Thomas. I have a problem with pulling the thomasknollgospeltrumpcard as some kind of justification for anecdotal assertions.

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2018, 04:48:11 am »

Its about all you can do when the question asked are not answered (for whatever reasons).
Jeff tried.
His pretty good Photographs are where?

Right here, on LuLa.

I have heard that Schewe was a good commercial snapper and I have distant memory of seeing an impressive shot of a glass of something with great condensation on the surface. Having shot a good few beer company calendars I know just how difficult it can be to make it appear photographically convincing, especially out in the sunshine, and in competition with a girl. (This mental image of some old shot may or may not have been correctly attributed to Schewe; if correct, it is the only image of his I can recall seeing. Why so shy?)

On the other hand, I don't remember seeing a single one of yours.

;-)

« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 04:52:32 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2018, 04:57:27 am »

My first exposure to online raging came courtesy of the OS/2>—<Windows (aka IBM>—<Microsoft) flame wars of the late 1980s. (As discussed a bit elsewhere in LuLa Land recently.) IMO it has more than a little to do with the ability to create clockwork software worlds where everything unfolds according to design. From experience I can say there's a seductive, even intoxicating, aspect to this. By contrast the messy real world of human behavior & interaction can appear even more infuriating than otherwise.

-Dave-

Good point! The difference, in a way, between the science/maths mindset and the artist's less then expectant of certainties one.

Rob

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2018, 05:26:04 am »

I've not visited the site for a few weeks and was surprised to find this topic in the Coffee Corner.....

Jim

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2018, 05:37:35 am »

It's an interesting discussion that is being undermined by egos and name calling.

Needs moving and moderating.

DP

« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2018, 07:09:23 am »

but I'm pretty sure Thomas has done far more for the industry than you have, right?

at some point old farts inevitably have to step down (or rather up to rest on laurels) ;)

DP

« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2018, 07:14:18 am »

IMO Raw formats have no business being proprietary, period.
I invest way more effort into working with raw in terms of dialing in raw conversion parameters and various adjustments and IMHO parametric adjustments interpretation have no business being proprietary ! I cam easily take my raws to almost any raw converter w/o issues - but I can't take my work in ACR outside of Adobe realm ;) ... now think who is the worst offender really !

DP

« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2018, 07:14:49 am »

DP

« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2018, 07:20:34 am »

There is a fundamental difference between

there is no difference - just your vested paid interest in all things Adobe  ;D ... one more time - I can take my proprietary raws to almost any raw converter w/o any issues, but I can't take my proprietary parametric adjustments ... so who really keeps my work hostage, who does not really let me own MY OWN WORK  ? Adobe does (and other companies making raw converters - so if I am working with Canon's raws and DPP - my issue is not with Canon's raw format - my issue is with DPP)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2018, 09:15:26 am »

Right here, on LuLa.

I have heard that Schewe was a good commercial snapper and I have distant memory of seeing an impressive shot of a glass of something with great condensation on the surface. Having shot a good few beer company calendars I know just how difficult it can be to make it appear photographically convincing, especially out in the sunshine, and in competition with a girl. (This mental image of some old shot may or may not have been correctly attributed to Schewe; if correct, it is the only image of his I can recall seeing. Why so shy?)
Rob, I've know Jeff for over 20 years, been to his studio many times, stayed at his home many times, we are business partners and I know much of HIS work. It's that other guy (opgr) I was asking about. Tell me about his photography.

On the other hand, I don't remember seeing a single one of yours.

As for mine, some are here scattered in the forums (more recently in show your pets) but if you take the time to click on the web link to my site, there are some web galleries there if you want to look at say the Amazon shots I took while working with Michael/Chris and Jay Maisel (Jay and I were instructors on that trip).

As for my professional photography clients (alas, from the 1990's):
https://www.linkedin.com/in/digitaldog/?trk=hp-identity-name
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 09:23:01 am by digitaldog »
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2018, 12:42:59 pm »

(This mental image of some old shot may or may not have been correctly attributed to Schewe; if correct, it is the only image of his I can recall seeing. Why so shy?)

My commercial work...

Not shy...just rarely show my old work.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2018, 01:41:59 pm »

My commercial work...

Well that’s proper.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2018, 02:10:09 pm »

It's that other guy (opgr) I was asking about. Tell me about his photography.

He's put a few images up on this site, Andrew. Look around.

Jeremy

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2018, 02:13:44 pm »

He's put a few images up on this site, Andrew. Look around.

Jeremy
Thanks but I see now such site, can you provide a URL? TIA.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2018, 02:14:58 pm »

Thanks but I see now such site, can you provide a URL? TIA.

This site, Andrew. LuLa. Look around the "user critiques" forum.

Jeremy

Telecaster

« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2018, 05:03:41 pm »

I invest way more effort into working with raw in terms of dialing in raw conversion parameters and various adjustments and IMHO parametric adjustments interpretation have no business being proprietary ! I cam easily take my raws to almost any raw converter w/o issues - but I can't take my work in ACR outside of Adobe realm ;) ... now think who is the worst offender really !

Not sure why you're interpreting (or at least seeming to do so) my comments here as being pro-Adobe. They're not.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2018, 03:44:47 am »

My commercial work...

Thank you for posting the link!

You have some very good work there and it backs up what I have sometimes pointed out in the past: still life is a creative form of photography where you have to start from nothing but a brief - or a layout - which itself takes a lot of creative input - and make something interesting happen. It is not a matter of just hanging around until God decides to switch on the pretty lighting.

On or two of the shots - the rabbit and hat one, in particular, seem familiar to me: did you also work with FPG or TIB?

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #97 on: October 17, 2018, 04:02:58 am »

Rob, I've know Jeff for over 20 years, been to his studio many times, stayed at his home many times, we are business partners and I know much of HIS work. It's that other guy (opgr) I was asking about. Tell me about his photography.

As for mine, some are here scattered in the forums (more recently in show your pets) but if you take the time to click on the web link to my site, there are some web galleries there if you want to look at say the Amazon shots I took while working with Michael/Chris and Jay Maisel (Jay and I were instructors on that trip).

As for my professional photography clients (alas, from the 1990's):
https://www.linkedin.com/in/digitaldog/?trk=hp-identity-name

We seem fated not to understand what the other writes. However, it looks as if Jeremy has answered that on my behalf.

I didn't see your shots in Pets Corner because I seldom go there (maybe because I was a Playboy fan and not a Penthouse one...) but I did try to access your site from your link.

Some of the sections were not open to me because of LinkedIn, which I don't want on the iPad though I did get involved via the computer a long time ago. However, the one to White Sands and the dogs was open, and it appears to be a nice location in which to shoot. Your dogs look very healthy and full of life - long may it continue.

It would be lovely to work there with the right girl, the right colours of chiffon fabrics flowing out in the breeze behind her... dream on: my fifteen minutes clocked out some time ago; Warhol could have been more generous.

;-)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2018, 09:30:05 am »

I didn't see your shots in Pets Corner because I seldom go there (maybe because I was a Playboy fan and not a Penthouse one...)
Then go back to my web site and click on the links for the Greg Gorman workshops I co-taught and you'll see the Playboy inspired stuff.  :P

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2018, 11:42:37 am »

When I started this thread with a simple technical question, I could not have imagined how it would evolve. It's both horrifying and awe-inspiring.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up