Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac OS Mojave Finder's "Cover Flow" is S-L-O-W  (Read 1015 times)

peterwgallagher

Mac OS Mojave Finder's "Cover Flow" is S-L-O-W
« on: October 01, 2018, 04:06:36 am »

It's a dog on my maxed-MBP (Mid 2014). Slow, slow, slow... I find it unusable for scanning images through (the JPGs of) even a small folder of OLY raws (~20MB each). A retrograde step from High Sierra. Can't believe that this was supposedly *beta-tested*.

So I fired up PathFinder (Cocoatech.com), upgraded to PF8.... It's new module structure has TERRIBLE memory leaks. It quickly consumed ALL the RAM in my MacBookPro and locked it up. Ugh!

Yes... there are other options, I know. But I was sort of counting on these two mature pieces of software not going BACKWARDS!

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Mac OS Mojave Finder's "Cover Flow" is S-L-O-W
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 06:38:53 pm »

I was sort of counting on these two mature pieces of software not going BACKWARDS!
For Mojave at least it is not "mature" software. Give it six months and it may be mature. I generally wait until a new OS is about to be replaced by the next one. I just upgraded to High Sierra.

There is no way any developer can test every possibility so they release them for the customers to test. This unfortunately is the way of the world.
Your best bet is probably to restore from a previous backup.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

TommyWeir

Re: Mac OS Mojave Finder's "Cover Flow" is S-L-O-W
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 06:16:16 am »

For production Macs, staying one generation behind is generally good advice.   Or at least a few point versions.

I've heard issues around speed with Final Cut Pro X and Motion with Mojave.   Enough to give me pause, I can add Path Finder to that now.  I understand few complaints around C1 or PS version 5 so I was tempted.

The other factor I have is the level of automation on my Mac, between Hazel, Automator, Keyboard Maestro and various applescripts, it's a bit of a Heath Robinson machine and I'm wary of pulling the rug out from under it all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up