Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for an artistic workshop.  (Read 835 times)

gchappel

Looking for an artistic workshop.
« on: September 24, 2018, 07:21:32 pm »

I have been playing with photography for over 40 years- heavy duty last 15.
I enjoy workshops, and try to take one every year or so.
I find I no longer wish to talk about the equipment- the camera, f stop, shutterspeed, lens selection, DOF, etc. 
I would rather talk about the images.   The art.  The feelings. 
For example, I am looking for strong image critiques.   I do not care if it is my images, or the instructors images that we tear apart, to understand what makes them tick. 
My last several workshops took me to great areas, but did little else.  The discussions were equipment or general composition based. 
I took little home- yes I always learned something but not in the depth I am now searching for.
Jay Maisel workshops were wonderful along these lines, I took several of his.  He is no longer teaching, and I am looking for new opinions and thoughts. 
Thought I would ask here- any ideas or thoughts of how to proceed or who to talk to?  I retire next year- so lots of time.
Thanks
Gary

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Looking for an artistic workshop.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 08:26:36 pm »

Have you checked John Paul Caponigro?

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 06:55:59 am »

I have been playing with photography for over 40 years- heavy duty last 15.
I enjoy workshops, and try to take one every year or so.
I find I no longer wish to talk about the equipment- the camera, f stop, shutterspeed, lens selection, DOF, etc. 
For example, I am looking for strong image critiques.   I do not care if it is my images, or the instructors images that we tear apart, to understand what makes them tick. 
My last several workshops took me to great areas, but did little else.  The discussions were equipment or general composition based. 
I took little home- yes I always learned something but not in the depth I am now searching for.
Jay Maisel workshops were wonderful along these lines, I took several of his.  He is no longer teaching, and I am looking for new opinions and thoughts. 
Thought I would ask here- any ideas or thoughts of how to proceed or who to talk to?  I retire next year- so lots of time.
Thanks
Gary

Gary, why not switch it around: after forty years you probably know as much about it as anyone else. Start being the host, and let the so-called students teach you where their heads are at? It could be great fun.

Nobody is giving away golden keys to wisdom, especially not to the young people who have yet to pay their life dues and learn the massive disconnect between life-theory and how it actually pans out in the living.

If you don't have a beard, then grow one; it lends a certain greyish gravitas that the younger women students will love - allows a mixture of female emotions somewhere between parental love and the relative, if largely imaginary, safety to be found in the older man, though I'm sure many muses of yore would dispute that gentle thought.

Be brave, it could pay for your holidays, leaving the pension intact!

:-)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 08:22:33 am by Rob C »

gchappel

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 08:10:43 am »

Gary, what not switch it around: after forty years you probably know as much about it as anyone else. Start being the host, and let the so-called students teach you where their heads are at? It could be great fun.

Nobody is giving away golden keys to wisdom, especially not to the young people who have yet to pay their life dues and learn the massive disconnect between life-theory and how it actually pans out in the living.

If you don't have a beard, then grow one; it lends a certain greyish gravitas that the younger women students will love - allows a mixture of female emotions somewhere between parental love and the relative, if largely imaginary, safety to be found in the older man, though I'm sure many muses of yore would dispute that gentle thought.

Be brave, it could pay for your holidays, leaving the pension intact!

Rob, you hit one nail on the head.  I have thought about teaching- workshop style- for a while.  I do know the physics and can talk the technical side of this artform with the best of them.  (Physics major in undergrad- interest in optics)   In other areas I love to teach.   One of my "frustrations" at some workshops is the "instructor" is less knowledgeable than I about such questions.
I also already have the grey beard.  I am all set.  I actually should look into that- local wildlife is easy.
I have a harder time describing the art, feeling, emotion of a great image.  I personal learn best from discussion and at the same time also looking for a little inspiration, maybe. 

Slobodan- I had not looked at Caponigro's site for a while.  He does some workshops with Seth Resnick only couple of hours from the house in January.  I will give them a close look. 

Thanks to all for the input.
Gary

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 08:29:01 am »

Rob, you hit one nail on the head.  I have thought about teaching- workshop style- for a while.  I do know the physics and can talk the technical side of this artform with the best of them.  (Physics major in undergrad- interest in optics)   In other areas I love to teach.   One of my "frustrations" at some workshops is the "instructor" is less knowledgeable than I about such questions.
I also already have the grey beard.  I am all set.  I actually should look into that- local wildlife is easy.
I have a harder time describing the art, feeling, emotion of a great image.  I personal learn best from discussion and at the same time also looking for a little inspiration, maybe. 

Slobodan- I had not looked at Caponigro's site for a while.  He does some workshops with Seth Resnick only couple of hours from the house in January.  I will give them a close look. 

Thanks to all for the input.
Gary

Then go for it!

But if you are anything like me, avoid posting using an iPad. Once again I have found myself victim to this machine that loves to substitute words, words that I have no intention of using, for some that I am actually wanting to type.

"Gary, what not switch it around..." That doesn't even begin to resemble "why", so so much for artificial intelligence.

degrub

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 06:48:10 pm »

How about Alain Briot or Art Wolfe ?
Both have written here about the "vision" side and expressing emotion in images.
Both, i think, still offer workshops.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 07:25:34 pm »

How about a workshop-addiction rehab instead?  ;)

Lesley

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 11:38:59 pm »

Freeman Patterson does workshops in New Brunswick (and a few other places). I took a workshop from him a number of years ago and my experiences there still have a positive impact on my photography.
In conversation during the workshop someone asked him what kind of camera he used and he refused to answer, saying that it simply wasn't relevant to what he did - so you certainly wouldn't find an over reliance on tech talk if you did one of his workshops! However, if someone had a question about how to use their equipment to solve a photographic problem, he was eager to step in and help.
During critique sessions he talked a lot about art, vision, and purpose. I'd be more than happy to take another one of his workshops, but they are a continent away.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 04:11:10 am »

How about a workshop-addiction rehab instead?  ;)

Aren't there workshops offering those too?

I'm sure Tony Soprano's shrink would be a nice person to help out with such problems; even without a suspected problem she'd be a soothing person to spend time chatting with and looking at... could cure all of us from wasting our irreplaceable time on the Internet, time wasted on something that ultimately brings nothing but frustration, doubt and ennui.

But hey, a wonderful place to exercise and grow our masochistic skill set whilst listening to people who are as much in the dark about everything that matters as we all are!

The single advantage the Internet experience offers over the personal one is that you can just shut it off and walk away, whereas doing that in the middle of a speech/lecture/ego trip for which you'd paid to subject yourself to would make you look rude, ungrateful and, worse, aware of the cash you realised you'd blown by being there.

;-)

BAB

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 03:24:07 pm »

I would think you can get all of that from most museums they all have lectures from time to time.You might also take some workshops designed for retouching and post processing your images they are geared for Feelings.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 05:35:39 pm »

I would think you can get all of that from most museums they all have lectures from time to time.You might also take some workshops designed for retouching and post processing your images they are geared for Feelings.

That, talking about the images and the feelings, is a pursuit that ultimately ends in stalemate: our feelings belong to us and we have no intention of letting anybody else steal them, and substitute their own in our heads and hearts. I've been aware of that all my life, which has made it both easy and difficult at the same time.

You will, if interested in something to any degree or depth, derive more joy from learning about the people whose oeuvre you may enjoy, than expecting them to give you definitive facts and figures about things they themselves only manage to achieve through instinct and talent. Can you describe why you love somebody, something or even why you get an emotional high from one photograph by snapper X but not from some others of the same provenance? I can no more account for the feeling behind one snap I have made, the thing that caused me to go click! than can anyone else. And on top of that, the more often you do it, the more automatically you find your subjects and the less likely you are to question why this yes, but that no: you just recognise it as this is another one I want to shoot. Expecting any third party, via group photo therapy, realistically to inform you of the snapper's thought process at the time of making the image is patently absurd.

If there's a downside to that automatic mental instruction it's that you can end up doing much the same shot for the rest of your life without really being entirely aware of the fact, though it's sometimes close to the surface of your consciousness. Maybe that's part of the explanation to the unprocessed rolls of Winogrand as well as of Maier; it may not have been entirely a matter of finance but also of the absolute knowledge of what those unprocessed clicks would provide: the motivation was eventually fulfilled by the act of the click, with nothing further required from that particular moment of observation than the perfunctory act of pressing a button to confirm the impression already digested via the eye. Winogrand may well have believed himself when he apparently told the world that he photographed things just to see how they would look photographed, a belief that in time made that only too obvious to him even before he raised his camera. What could that knowledge leave worth doing on top of the seeing?

BAB

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 08:26:34 pm »

Yes I agree Rob C that is like just going to a place and experiencing all that it has to offer one just staying in deep thought without exerting any physical energy like a fly on a wall.I do believe that some people great genuineness of their craft or not have had times like that.
As for the workshops one in ten are great because of the people, the weather, ones mood or it just all worked out. But unfortunately workshops themselves are mostly set up for failure as the continuity to teach and learn never just flows it is always interrupted. A group 8 never has 8 dedicated attendees, time is always short and one on one is limited. That's not saying you wont learn a whole bunch especially if your dedicated. I never been in one where the instructor didn't say to me too bad this or that but I have so much more to share with you we just didn't have the time. Workshops are great for inspiration to either go photograph or try something different though, and to be in the right spot at the right time with the right instructor.But talk about the art or the feelings of the image is just something to do on the side for me.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

gchappel

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 06:23:06 pm »

Thanks again all for the very insightful comments.
I used to love workshops- but I seem to have "outgrown" many of them.
I still like to be in the right place at the right time in a new area- but prefer to stay there by myself. 
I guess I am looking for a different avenue that will let me enjoy them again.
Still looking around
Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up