Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lens comparison  (Read 787 times)

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
Lens comparison
« on: September 24, 2018, 10:58:14 pm »

Hi. I like to know if there is any defferebt between old P1 Schneider 80mm lens and new blue ring 80mm quality wise?

matted

Re: Lens comparison
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 11:12:30 pm »

Hi. I like to know if there is any defferebt between old P1 Schneider 80mm lens and new blue ring 80mm quality wise?

Likely identical (as long as you mean the 80mm LS version... apparently the pre-LS version is sharper, although I’m not sure if there was ever a Schneider branded version without LS).

P1 and dealers will tell you that the BR lenses have tighter/better tolerances and QC and blah blah blah, but it’s the same optical design coming out of the same factory in the case of the 80. The old one is made of plastic but works great and weighs a lot less than the metal BR lenses.

DaveRosenthal

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 11:39:56 pm »

I agree with most of what you say, but the new BR version does not appear to be heavier.

The phase one web site quotes the new BR 80mm @ 500g. My non-BR 80 LS weighs in at 550g with hood (515g without).

The old one is made of plastic but works great and weighs a lot less than the metal BR lenses.

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 03:04:50 am »

Likely identical (as long as you mean the 80mm LS version... apparently the pre-LS version is sharper,

So you belive non LS is sharper? Really?

matted

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 05:29:45 am »

I agree with most of what you say, but the new BR version does not appear to be heavier.

The phase one web site quotes the new BR 80mm @ 500g. My non-BR 80 LS weighs in at 550g with hood (515g without).

Really? I stand corrected then! I just assumed the BR version was heavier due to the metal body.

So you belive non LS is sharper? Really?

Sorry, I should have clarified. I said “apparently” because I have seen others claim that the addition of the leaf shutter led to a compromise of some sort and that the AF-D version is actually sharper, however I have not verified this for myself.

Personally I have the Schneider LS, non-BR lens and love it... it draws beautifully and I have never found it to be “unsharp”. The 80 AF-D lenses are fairly cheap so I may grab one someday to compare.
Pages: [1]   Go Up