Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ColorThink Pro performance question  (Read 1360 times)

Majohnson

ColorThink Pro performance question
« on: September 15, 2018, 09:22:54 am »

Hi

I have just recently upgraded my Windows 10 (64bit) computer to an Intel i7 8700K, with a 500gb Samsung 970 Pro ssd, 32gb of DDR4 ram and a 1060 gpu and have purchased a copy of ColorThink Pro.

Is it normal for the program to take 30-45 seconds to open an image file in the 3D module? I am wanting to compare the 3D representation of the photo with a paper profile to check out of gamut colours. I also notice that if I move a slider, the program freezes for sometime before making the slider change. It is very sluggish and not responsive at all when using some sliders and will often go unresponsive for sometime. I have tried opening small jpeg files (2meg) to large tiff files and both seem equally as slow to load into the program.

I am using an NEC 32” 4K monitor so don’t know if this has anything to do with it?

Regards
Mark
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 09:49:38 am by Majohnson »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: ColorThink Pro performance question
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 09:26:51 am »

Not clear what you are trying to do. Are you trying to look at a profile in 3D, or the colours of a real photograph in 3D? The former opens very quickly, the latter can take some time.

Chromix is responsive to technical support questions, so you may wish to run this past them for a view.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Majohnson

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 09:48:45 am »

Hi Mark

I am wanting to look at a real photo in the 3D module and compare it to a paper profile to check the out of gamut colours. The profiles load quickly, but image files 30-45 secs and as mentioned if i try adjust a setting like the size of the dots it takes sometime to change. I will email Chromix as you suggested.

Regards
Mark

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 09:56:56 am »

I believe what you are seeing is normal. The speed of the dot rendition depends very much on the pixel dimensions of the photo CTP is asked to analyze. Once it gets beyond several MB you are putting a lot of strain on this application. It was designed to handle moderate size image files. If your photo is more than say 5MB, I suggest downsizing it and running the downsized version. You'll most likely see much zippier performance. I do this frequently. As well, changing the size of the dots can also take some time to render - there is lag between the time you advance the slider until the dot size changes. This too is normal.

Majohnson

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 10:06:35 am »

Thanks Mark.

I decided to take a different approach with what I was doing and checked for out of gamut colours in photoshop first and then just selected the portion of colour that was out of gamut and saved that as a file and used that to compare to the paper profile in ColorThink Pro and the performance was fine.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards
Mark

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 12:47:38 pm »

You are welcome.

TonyW

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 04:15:58 am »

Thanks Mark.

I decided to take a different approach with what I was doing and checked for out of gamut colours in photoshop first and then just selected the portion of colour that was out of gamut and saved that as a file and used that to compare to the paper profile in ColorThink Pro and the performance was fine.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards
Mark
Looks like you have found a satisfactory solution but a little added info may be of some future use. 

CTP does not as you have discovered handle large image files like a normal imaging program and requires loads of computational power for its calculations resulting in quite slow rendering of data even with fast processors.  The author suggests that images should be downsized to less than 1 megapixel in size for those suffering poor performance (you may not need to go this low)

There is also an alternative method extracting unique colours
More detail here
http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/ColorThink_Pro_-_Grapher#Working_with_Images_and_Lists
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 04:19:38 am by TonyW »

Majohnson

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 08:00:46 am »

Thanks for the reply Tony.

Much appreciated. I will use the steps documented in the link supplied.

ColorThink Pro is a truely fantastic and useful product!

Regards
Mark

Rand47

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 10:01:10 pm »

Thanks for the reply Tony.

Much appreciated. I will use the steps documented in the link supplied.

ColorThink Pro is a truely fantastic and useful product!

Regards
Mark

+1. Thanks for that link.  VERY helpful.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams
Pages: [1]   Go Up