Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advertise your workshops for just a dollar a month  (Read 927 times)

Cornfield

Advertise your workshops for just a dollar a month
« on: September 04, 2018, 11:40:05 am »

If the moderators are keen to clean up the site and stop people from exploiting the exposure, then action should be taken to ban the constant promotion of commercial workshops.

A few recent examples.
The amazing Durdle Door at sunset, taken during a Workshop I led in Dorset (UK) last February.
Feeling minimalist today: "Morning mist", taken during a Workshop I led in Tuscany (Italy) in October 2017.
A burning sunset sky over the Racetrack, a 20-seconds exposure taken in amazing Death Valley (CA), USA, during a workshop I led there last winter.
Sunset in Badwater, a 2-minutes exposure taken in Death Valley (CA), USA, during a workshop I led there last winter.
The magical atmosphere of a Tuscan sunrise, taken during a Workshop I led in Tuscany in November 2017.
Ledge at Kimmeridge Bay, a sunset image taken during a Workshop I led in beautiful Dorset (UK) in spring 2017.
A Kimmeridge sunset, a long exposure detail on the inspiring ledges at Kimmeridge Bay, taken during a Workshop I led in Dorset (UK) in Spring 2017.
Castel Boccale at sunrise, taken in Tuscany (Italy) during a Workshop I led there in Fall 2017.
This photo was shot during a workshop in Abruzzo in the Gran Sasso National Park on November 5th, 2017.
This was shot on the Lofoten Islands in February 2018 during a workshop on a morning with the m
A shot from Alpe di Siusi in the Dolomites in the autumn (October 2017).
This photo was shot before the workshop I was leading on the Lofoten Islands in February 2018.
From my last workshop in Tuscany in May this year.
Shot in Scotland on Isle of Skye in September 2017 on a workshop that I was leading at the time.
This photo was shot in the Dolomites on the most recent workshop in the Dolomites in June 2018.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Advertise your workshops for just a dollar a month
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 12:22:54 pm »

As long as the poster adds a description of the location and time of year, I see more benefits to it than detriments.
If the picture looks interesting, it doesn't matter whether it was shot during a workshop or on solo trip. If anything, I'd ask also for posting of the technical details.   

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 02:33:40 pm »

I see no problem with any of the examples you quote.

Jeremy

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 03:17:34 pm »

Without the photos in the posts mentioned, LuLa would be a much more drab place, IMHO.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 04:29:33 pm »

... If the picture looks interesting, it doesn't matter whether it was shot during a workshop or on solo trip...

If it doesn’t matter (and I doesn’t), then it should not be mentioned. It is simply a bad taste to start every post with a self promotion.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 04:48:11 pm »

I think it is also counterproductive.

The selling push gets on the nerves after a while, but then that's advertising... how many of us know what the last commercial that passed our vision on the tv was about?  I sometimes see great ones for cars, but never have the slightest idea which car. There was an exception: that woman with the golden voice who tells you something about some Volvo being just, well, right.

During the golden age, there were beautiful TV commercials for cigars and shampoos... fell in love with every model for all of ten seconds. Booze had some good ones too, but our politically correct new world has made them all extinct, with only the anodyne, non-threatening sorts of people allowed: you know, the ones that show you their gums and teeth and spit spitless spit into the basin when they brush. I don't think they are permitted to floss anymore, far too suggestive.

You see how things improve?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 05:17:49 pm »

... that woman with the golden voice who tells you something about some Volvo being just, well, right...

The one where her husband handles a digital Hasselblad and reviews mementos on the back screen while she is driving? Well done, yes.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 06:13:59 pm »

Attached is a recent picture from the North Shore of Lake Superior. It wasn't shot at a workshop but during a scouting trip contemplating a workshop into that area.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 10:43:47 am »

The one where her husband handles a digital Hasselblad and reviews mementos on the back screen while she is driving? Well done, yes.

Haven't seen that one; this lady is all alone and empowered within her own vee-hickle. She hasn't time for male distraction; the car provides enough inner, spiritual satisfaction.

;-)

Peter McLennan

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 11:12:07 am »

I'm with the "I find it annoying and self-serving" camp.  It gets old. This despite the usually high quality of the images presented.

Here's a shot of Kodachrome Basin that I made during a visit to the area.  I wasn't conducting or scouting a workshop, I was simply sitting there on my lawn chair, enjoying the play of light and shadow on the desert floor below.

Cornfield

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 05:26:09 pm »

If it doesn’t matter (and I doesn’t), then it should not be mentioned. It is simply a bad taste to start every post with a self promotion.

It is in bad taste to blatantly use a forum for self-promotion.  This is compounded when you receive a direct message from the workshop seller after making a comment on the image.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 04:28:44 pm »

Which leads us to a possible new thread category, "Workshops"
Charge a minimal number say $10 a month. Allow a limited number of pictures and copy.
Probably hundreds of folks offering workshops that visit here that might be interested.
You want to visit the workshop threads and see what is available around the world you click and view.
I think it would be really nice to have such a listing all in one place to review.
Not any negatives that I can think of.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 04:42:15 pm »

Good idea!
New revenue stream for Lula and easy place to see all workshop offerings with some representative images on one site.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 05:48:21 pm »

It's been on our to-do list for a while.  We used to have a workshops page on the old site.  We have a few other things we are working on too.  I am going in for a hip replacement surgery in a week.  That means 12 weeks of no extended travel.  I am hoping that also means that after a few days of really nice drugs that I can return to my desk and really focus on some projects that have been getting interrupted lately with workshops and camera launches.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 06:23:25 pm »

Good luck with the surgery, Kevin!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Peter McLennan

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2018, 06:28:00 pm »

Indeed, Kevin.  Best wishes for a successful result, a quick recovery and good drugs. :)

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 10:35:22 am »

Safe surgery and super result.

Next time, follow my lead and only take one camera and lens with you when you leave the house! You could even dig an article or two out of the experience, and your bones would love you again.

Leave Christmas trees to do the heavy lifting.

Helmut Newton made some interesting snaps whilst he was in hospital - yet another opportunity.

:-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up