Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red River Pro Luster 4.0 turning yellow!  (Read 3925 times)

MHMG

Re: Red River Pro Luster 4.0 turning yellow!
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2018, 06:12:13 pm »

... I think this paper with its extremely high OBA content is just really susceptible and perhaps RR’s normal clientele are not a picky as me, use up the paper and ship it to clients quickly, etc. that being said, they say it is their number 1 seller so I am surprised that it hasn’t been a big enough issue for them to investigate changes to the paper.

My sense, too, is that RR's primary customer demographic does largely comprise a cost-conscious amateur printmaking community which tends to prefer bright white (high OBA content) RC media, and longevity takes a back seat...the typical rationale expressed on many forums being that amateur printmakers printing for themselves or for friends and family can always reprint if the print fades or discolors in a few years.  I don't fault RR in any way for catering to that demographic. However, I personally think this rationale is a penny-wise pound foolish proposition, but the digital age has turned the longstanding practice of printing photographs and choosing materials wisely for print longevity upside down.

That said, Drew Hendricks at RR has slowly been upping RR's print quality game, IMHO, by adding newer non RC media like RR Palo Duro Soft Gloss Rag  (a Canson Platine dead ringer) and RR palo Duro Etching 315, for example, to the RR catalog; both non RC fine art media with no OBA content and favorably priced compared to the competition. If I had to bet on any third party media vendor to be the first one to introduce an RC paper with completely OBA-free coatings and declare it so, it would be RR.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

stockjock

Re: Red River Pro Luster 4.0 turning yellow!
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2018, 12:55:59 am »

Those HP papers mentioned sound promising! I print on a Canon IPF8400 so using another major manufacturer is not ideal as I would have to get a custom profile made but it’s probably ideal to have a custom profile regardless.

I have to second John's recommendation of the HP Everyday Satin.  It is a terrific paper and a great price.  The only downside is that it is quite thin so you do have to handle it carefully.  I print with it on a Canon iPF8400 with excellent results.  Just use the Canon Satin Photo Paper 240 GSM media type and profile and I think you will find the color matching is nearly perfect.  In fact I get better results using that paper and the Canon profile than I do with Canson's profiles for their Platine on the iPF8400.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up