Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gigapixel v5.0  (Read 1161 times)

loganphoto

Gigapixel v5.0
« on: July 01, 2020, 04:45:50 pm »

Does anyone have an opinion on the new Gigapixel AI program?  I think the image enlargements have improved with their mad made object recognition.  I did a review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRiFp5UHI-s&t=459s if anyone is interested.

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
Re: Gigapixel v5.0
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 01:04:15 am »

I'm a long time fan of Topaz products, going back over a decade (2007 or so). Gigapixel is by far the most fun I've had with image enhancement (I also enjoy artsifying my images).

I cover Topaz apps in my blog (URL in sig) and have featured before-and-afters with Gigapixel from the beginning. The AI tech is constantly pushing the boundaries of our computer systems.

I enjoyed your video and your minimalist setup (laptop on coffee table ;-) ). Here's my setup, ha!
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 06:07:23 am »

It's amazing! Not the best workflow, but the resulting TIFFs print very well on my Epson P900.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

earlybird

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 10:24:52 am »

Can I install it to see if it works on my laptop without hosing the current version that works on my laptop?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 01:42:06 pm »

Can I install it to see if it works on my laptop without hosing the current version that works on my laptop?

On the Windows platform, Gigapixel AI get installed in a single folder without version number. So it looks like it will replace your old version.
But you could ask their service team whether that is the case.
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Daverich

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 10:20:21 am »

On my Mac it replaced the previous version.

IPDOUGLAS

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 11:09:26 am »

I helped beta test Gigapixel but have no commercial interest with Topaz.

Although it seems of feels impossible (in that you cannot obviously add more detail) I have taken some unprintable images (too small or poor focus/sharpness) and enlarged to a massive size 6x-10x and then downsized the resulting gigantic image to something sensible using bicubic sharper (in Photoshop CC 2020) and the resulting image has been transformed and transformed for the better!

The first time I encountered this when testing I spent a few hours rescuing almost deleted images and producing something I would print and/or enter in a photographic competition!

An amazing piece of software that I will buy if a Black Friday discount is deep enough.

Certainly avoid taking poor images in the first place but this software does indeed seem to work.

In Vino Veritas

plugsnpixels

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 12:53:22 pm »

IPDOUGLAS brings up a good point – enlarge, then reduce as a type of sharpening process.

BTW, you don't have to wait for a Topaz sale, you can always get 15% off of any Topaz product at any time (search the LL For Sale section) or PM me for access to the code.

If a seasonal or launch sale is being offered, you can get 15% off of that price as well ("double discount"). There's one going on for Gigapixel right now through 7/7.

Lately I've been putting my own older digital and film scan stock photos on Redbubble (both straight and artsified), with Gigapixel being a very necessary first step to making them big enough to fit even on bedspreads and shower curtains. Follow-up treatment with AI Clear from within Topaz Studio (if needed) is icing on the cake. Or Topaz Impression (painting effects) also covers a multitude of sins!

Attached is an example of what was originally a 2272 x 1704px Minolta DiMAGE S404 (non-DSLR) image of a Cadillac logo at a 2005 car show. I enlarged it to 13626 x 10218px in Gigapixel and followed up with AI Clear due to low-light digital noise in the original. I popped the color and spotted out any paint flaws and dents in PS.

The comparison attached shows the original image at 100% view and the Gigapixel treatment at 50% (to fit the view better). The final version is shown full-frame at reduced size and also as comped on a bedspread.

plugsnpixels

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 12:55:16 pm »

I also used Gigapixel to 6x upsize some circa-1905 post card scans which I had previously colorized online. I followed up with Topaz Impression as described above (detail shown).

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 01:53:43 pm »

I have taken some unprintable images (too small or poor focus/sharpness) and enlarged to a massive size 6x-10x and then downsized the resulting gigantic image to something sensible using bicubic sharper (in Photoshop CC 2020) and the resulting image has been transformed and transformed for the better!

That's my experience, as well.  I've licensed the Topaz product for a while now and I think it does a fine job within the constraints of what it is designed to do, but it can't work miracles—at least not yet: it has definitely been improving over time.

If I'm just trying to print from an otherwise well-focused image with inadequate inherent resolution for the desired size of the print (e.g., a crop of a high-resolution digital capture), I've found I'm almost always better off using Photoshop or simply relying on the Lightroom print module to manage the enlargement.  A product like Topaz Gigapixel, which is analyzing an image and then building a replica of the image based on its machine-learning and internal logic, is more likely to introduce objectionable artifacts than a product that simply interpolates additional pixels into the destination image based on the pixels that are present in the source.

What Topaz Gigapixel excels at is taking low-resolution images such as scans of small retail-store analog snapshots and producing replicas that can be printed in a somewhat larger format.  I've used it often to generate usable files from pictures culled from old family photo albums.  Sometimes setting Gigapixel to make a large image and then reducing it in a photo editor helps to eliminate objectionable artifacts; sometimes Gigapixel works fine simply by setting it for the desired target size.  I haven't come up with a technique for predicting which method works best, probably because there is no way for a user to know precisely what features the software is identifying in its analysis of the source image or how it produces similar features in the target.

Gigapixel also works well with non-photographic images, such as those I have transformed by passing them through a convolutional neural network.  Since these no longer contain the real-world detail provided by a photograph—they are simplified derivatives of their source images—Gigapixel seems to be able to accurately identify and reproduce the graphic elements that comprise them, and any artifacts it introduces are often not noticeable except on very close inspection.  I suspect the Topaz software would work equally well with images made manually, either by analog methods (e.g., drawing or painting) or with digital design software.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 02:09:04 pm by Chris Kern »

plugsnpixels

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2020, 02:06:10 pm »

Thanks Chris, that is some fun work you've created!

Speaking of line art enlargements in Gigapixel, here are a couple examples I did awhile back.

stockjock

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2020, 04:17:32 pm »

Thanks Chris, that is some fun work you've created!

Speaking of line art enlargements in Gigapixel, here are a couple examples I did awhile back.

That is a remarkable result.  All you did was process it in Gigapixel and resize?

plugsnpixels

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2020, 04:50:11 pm »

That is a remarkable result.  All you did was process it in Gigapixel and resize?

Yes, those illustrations are simple 6X enlargements in GP itself.

I did something similar recently on this LL thread (upsized a web-resolution image full of text).
Pages: [1]   Go Up