Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One IQ4 series. Much more than resolution.  (Read 13209 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Phase One IQ4 series. Much more than resolution.
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2018, 07:50:07 pm »

I would also be curious to see an ISO sweep test where the files are reduced by 2/3s in resolution, so 151 MP to ~50 MP, and then compare noise at 100% afterwards.  Maybe capture the images in a somewhat dark interior where a fair amount of shadow pushing is needed. 

We will capture and share the raw files. You can upres/downres/noise-reduce/treat however suits to test for your needs.

A contrasty scene is definitely a must. ISO sweeps without dark shadow detail is pretty useless.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2018, 08:26:02 am »

I’m slating out our tests now. Any specific requests other than iso sweeps, aperture sweeps, and tech cam lenses?

JoeKitchen

« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2018, 08:26:12 am »

We will capture and share the raw files. You can upres/downres/noise-reduce/treat however suits to test for your needs.

A contrasty scene is definitely a must. ISO sweeps without dark shadow detail is pretty useless.

+1

If you test out the SK 35mm or Roddie 32mm, would you be able to shoot tests with and without the center filter.  (I realize that you may not have the CFs, but if you do, that would be a great help.) 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2018, 08:28:20 am »

Direct tech lens comparison between the 100 and 150 back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

narikin

« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2018, 08:40:20 am »

Direct tech lens comparison between the 100 and 150 back.

Yes and direct ISO comparison between those two. 100/100, 200/200,  400/400 etc.

Thanks

Klahne

« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2018, 08:47:15 am »

Hi Doug,

Great job distributing and answering questions on the plethora of information that Phase One generated this week!

I'm interested in obtaining color value comparisons between the trichromatic back and the new 150 MP back, (straight out of the camera without profiling) using spectrometer measured values of a Colorchecker SG chart or similar.  (This would be a useful metric for me as it relates to the capture of fine art.)

Thanks!

Rich Klahne
www.jetart.biz
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 11:25:08 am by Klahne »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2018, 04:54:08 pm »

Looks like BSI may make a difference, quite a bit.  This from another site, but pretty telling.

For Technical cameras, this back will be significant. 

Impressive just for the 23mm HR Rodenstock.  More testing needed for sure.

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2018, 05:09:14 pm »

I’m now anxious to test my 35 and 60 xl’s.

Dave

MN

« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2018, 05:10:11 pm »

Looks like BSI may make a difference, quite a bit.

Yes, indeed. May give new a live to those Schneider Digitar lenses.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 05:13:44 pm by MN »

Doug Peterson

« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2018, 09:17:52 am »

Yes, indeed. May give new a live to those Schneider Digitar lenses.

Do remember that some of the Schneiders also already struggled with sharpness with ~60mp backs. The 35XL for example was somewhat mushy at 10mm of shift.

I'm interested to see how the 60XL does. We will be testing as soon as we have a beta unit of the IQ4 150mp.

matted

« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2018, 09:30:59 am »

Doug, do you have a Schneider 43 APO Digitar to test by any chance? It doesn’t seem to get mentioned very often but I would be curious to see how it performed on the IQ4 150. Really looking forward to seeing how the 60 XL performs!

Doug Peterson

« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2018, 09:33:44 am »

Doug, do you have a Schneider 43 APO Digitar to test by any chance? It doesn’t seem to get mentioned very often but I would be curious to see how it performed on the IQ4 150. Really looking forward to seeing how the 60 XL performs!

Yes. We have this lens and will include in testing.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2018, 09:55:06 am »

Do remember that some of the Schneiders also already struggled with sharpness with ~60mp backs. The 35XL for example was somewhat mushy at 10mm of shift.

I'm interested to see how the 60XL does. We will be testing as soon as we have a beta unit of the IQ4 150mp.

At full res, I would be a little hesitant about the SK lenses.  However, I just did a test with the scale set at 60%, giving you an approximately 53 MP PSD file.  This looked pretty nice in PS, appeared to have better DoF and overall sharper appearance.  This was with C1 doing no sharpening in the reduction too.  (I have always found the reduction in C1 to be less then great when compared to PS bicubic sharper reduction.)
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

vjbelle

« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2018, 12:08:11 pm »

You are very right.  The 35XL just isn't up to the task of 10mm shifts.  I've gotten around that by only using some rise (hopefully not more than 8mm) and then panning to achieve the horizontal equivalent of shifting. That keeps everything sharp and the stitching is fairly straightforward.  The 35XL is not the Rody 32 and never will be. 

Victor

MN

« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2018, 12:19:14 pm »

Only have the 210mm f/5.6 Apo Digitar T Schneider.

vjbelle

« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2018, 12:52:35 pm »

Your 210mm Schneider should easily shift to 15mm if it's anything like my 180mm Digitar.  However it has been my experience that with any lens I have ever tested including the revered Rody 90mm SW when you get into the area of 15mm there is always a price to pay with regards to sharpness.  Pick your poison - sometimes panning is the much better solution. 

Victor

Klahne

« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2018, 02:46:39 pm »

Hi Doug,

I'd like to know what the 16 bit raw file size is for the IQ4 150 MP back and how quickly these raw files can be transferred to Capture One via wireless tethering.  Can this wireless transfer be configured to occur automatically once a new raw file is available?  Can an in camera capture be initiated via this wireless interface as well?

Thanks,

Rich

www.jetart.biz

Doug Peterson

« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2018, 04:41:37 pm »

I'd like to know what the 16 bit raw file size is for the IQ4 150 MP back and how quickly these raw files can be transferred to Capture One via wireless tethering.  Can this wireless transfer be configured to occur automatically once a new raw file is available?  Can an in camera capture be initiated via this wireless interface as well?

Depending on image content:
IIQ-L 16 Bit: 150-180 MB
IIQ-S: 80-120 MB

The wireless tethering is just like tethering by USB-C or Ethernet. You can control the camera, use live view, or capture from the computer. The image is transferred to the computer immediately after capture. Various methods will be used to get an image on screen as quickly as possible; since Phase One is in control of the entire pipeline (hardware, firmware, wireless connection, and Capture One) we expect it to be good. However: 1) the time-to-screen time is not yet set as they are still working on this part of the system and 2) it will not be as fast as USB-C or Ethernet.

We will have boring-but-useful videos showing the speed of shooting one or many frames as soon as the launch firmware is ready. Right now we're on prototype firmware which is not yet fine-tuned for performance. 

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2018, 05:22:42 pm »

Shouldn’t there also be a huge difference between Ethernet and USB? As The former tops out at around 100 and USB-C goes Newley up to 500 in speed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

ConnorRay

« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2018, 06:12:16 pm »

@ Doug

I’m interested in a comparison between one of the trichromatic backs and the IQ4 150 when it comes to LCC behavior but I’m also interested in a comparison when it comes to Chromatic Aberration and purple fringing. It’s visible on the chimney to the left in the “Nyhavn Day” sample pic and I really despise it!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up