Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Stolen Hasselblad X1D system  (Read 7036 times)

jensputzier

Stolen Hasselblad X1D system
« on: August 18, 2018, 12:29:15 am »

I have no idea whether this is the right place to post this, but:

The following equipment was stolen in San Francisco tonight:

1. Camera: Hasselblad X1D-50c, color aluminum silver, serial number   UQ26010668
2. Lens Hasselblad XCD 3,5/45mm, color black, serial number 2UVT12791
3. Lens Hasselblad XCD 3,2/90mm, color black, serial number 2VVU13170
4. Lens Hasselblad XCD 3,5/30mm, color black, serial number 2WVU11512
5. two SD chip cards inserted into camera SanDisk Extreme Pro 256 GB SDXC no serial #
6. RRS BX1D-L Set L-Plate for Hasselblad X1D no serial #
7. Zeiss polarising filter mounted on Lens Hasselblad XCD 3,5/30mm
8. two replacement batteries for camera
9. one backpack LowePro Flipside 400 AW
10. one B+W neutral density filter 110 ND 3,0 1000x 77,0 mm F-Pro

If these items cross your way at one point or other please let me know or report directly to SF Police.

Thank you.

Two23

Re: Stolen Hasselblad X1D system
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 12:35:31 am »

It really hurts to have stuff stolen.  Happened to me in Chicago two years ago.  I found the camera posted on ebay (serial number) but the Chicago police really didn't do anything.  Chicago and San Francisco are two places I no longer go because of the crime. :(

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

J S H

• Flickr
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 10:42:00 am »

So sorry to hear about the theft. It can be really frustrating when things like this happen. I had over $100K worth of photo equipment stolen from my production vehicle in San Francisco 3 years ago. Same deal - the police never even called me back after I filed the police report. After a little research, I discovered that San Fran is a hotbed for vehicle break-ins. In my case it happened on a Saturday at noon on a busy street near Ghirardelli Square - which tells me that it's not safe to leave a vehicle unattended anywhere in the city. Also, a photographer was murdered at Twin Peaks in 2017, so it's not just auto break-ins that are concerning. I haven't worked there since and don't plan to.

jensputzier

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 04:26:38 pm »

So sorry to hear about the theft. It can be really frustrating when things like this happen. I had over $100K worth of photo equipment stolen from my production vehicle in San Francisco 3 years ago. Same deal - the police never even called me back after I filed the police report. After a little research, I discovered that San Fran is a hotbed for vehicle break-ins. In my case it happened on a Saturday at noon on a busy street near Ghirardelli Square - which tells me that it's not safe to leave a vehicle unattended anywhere in the city. Also, a photographer was murdered at Twin Peaks in 2017, so it's not just auto break-ins that are concerning. I haven't worked there since and don't plan to.

After it happened I also read all about it. It happened to me at Treasure Island right in front of restaurant in the parking lit within 10-15 minutes after my arrival. I forgot the camera bag and when I returned it was gone. Several other cars too. The thieves must have been waiting there. I also read that at Treasure Island a woman was robbed at gunpoint when she didn't want to give them her camera. Very scary.

hubell

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 05:50:42 pm »

After it happened I also read all about it. It happened to me at Treasure Island right in front of restaurant in the parking lit within 10-15 minutes after my arrival. I forgot the camera bag and when I returned it was gone. Several other cars too. The thieves must have been waiting there. I also read that at Treasure Island a woman was robbed at gunpoint when she didn't want to give them her camera. Very scary.

My only reaction is that the San Francisco Police Dept. should be ashamed of itself. Any other Police Dept. would set up a series of stings and over time put an end to this. The failure of the San Francisco Police Dept. to stop it reflects a lack of will. They apparently want to create a "safe space" for thieves to do their thing.
BTW, you missed the story about the photographer that was shot to death in SF a few years ago in Treasure Island. Nice neighborhood.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 08:01:17 pm »

My only reaction is that the San Francisco Police Dept. should be ashamed of itself. Any other Police Dept. would set up a series of stings and over time put an end to this. The failure of the San Francisco Police Dept. to stop it reflects a lack of will. They apparently want to create a "safe space" for thieves to do their thing.
BTW, you missed the story about the photographer that was shot to death in SF a few years ago in Treasure Island. Nice neighborhood.

I have heard that SF is going downhill fast. Once a city has decided that it doesn't care about "normal" folk any more, the ones who walk on foot without bodyguards, it's game over.

The good news is a place can be cleaned up. NY was terrible when I was young and now it's supposed to be ok.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Two23

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 08:18:56 pm »

My only reaction is that the San Francisco Police Dept. should be ashamed of itself. Any other Police Dept. would set up a series of stings and over time put an end to this.

It's not the police that are the problem.  It's the politicians that run the place.  They've made the city a haven for drug addicts over the years, at one point even paying them to come. ::)   I refuse to go there.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 09:07:11 pm »

...Any other Police Dept. would set up a series of stings and over time put an end to this...

Stings are apparently racist. Or so Chicago thinks, after police left a truck full of Nike sneakers in the South side. Demonstrations ensued.

eronald

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 10:59:15 pm »

Stings are apparently racist. Or so Chicago thinks, after police left a truck full of Nike sneakers in the South side. Demonstrations ensued.

On the other hand, with over 2Mp (people not pixels) in jail in the US, it would seem that locating and jailing people for property crime would be a non-feasible proposition. Especially since it's much more urgent to jail all the small time drug users and small time dealers while carefully preserving their business, as their executives pay the politicians to preserve the prohibition that makes them rich, and enact laws that stops the illicit drug trade's billions from being traced and seized..

I don't think anyone steals a Hassy to make rent, or purchase a Ferrari. They steal it from a car to make their day's dosage of heroin, cocaine or crack, resell it at $100 or $200. But in fact the heroin costs $0.01 to make and would cost $5 in a pharmacy if the cartels didn't pay the politicians to keep the prohibition.

I had my Nikon system stolen some years ago. My neighbour the addict broke in and took it. My girlfriend overheard that he got 12 doses for it, I guess enough to keep him and his girl happy for a week. I couldn't pick a fight with my neighbour as I wanted to stay alive. The funny part is after a while he got so notorious that the cops stopped me in my own building because they thought I was him. Then he moved out.

You can't have your drugs, have your drug prohibition, and a zero drug-crime society.

Edmund

PS. When I was younger, robbers were killing the German tourists in Florida wholesale. Germans presumably because they were the Europeans rich enough to rent cars. You can read about it at the link. The interesting part is the indignation at the complaints of the German press, who didn't understand that being killed is part of the tourist experience. As I remember it, the Germans boycotted Florida after they got collectively angry and then, mysteriously, the police put an end to the deadly robberies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1993/09/09/eighth-foreign-tourist-since-fall-is-slain-in-florida/298934b8-5a6f-48e4-82b5-6190fa42dffa/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.e518688d056a
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 11:25:38 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

hubell

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 11:23:29 pm »

The good news is a place can be cleaned up. NY was terrible when I was young and now it's supposed to be ok.

Edmund

Giuliani is widely credited with cleaning up NY, true or not. He should move to SF and run for Mayor to clean up the crime problem. He would be real popular there! A match made in Hell.

eronald

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 11:30:50 pm »

Giuliani is widely credited with cleaning up NY, true or not. He should move to SF and run for Mayor to clean up the crime problem. He would be real popular there! A match made in Hell.

I think all the New-Yorkers got together and cleaned up the city. When I visited in 1978 or so, I couldn't believe that a place so dirty and run down and so frightening could exist in the developed world, let alone be the richest city of the richest country. I'd heard stories told by friends of my parents how old people would carry guns to make their grocery runs, and I never understood them before I went there.

Edmund
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 11:37:20 pm by eronald »

Bo_Dez

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 08:09:15 am »

Damn dude I'm sorry to hear that. That really sucks and I hope you get it back.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 08:28:13 am »

I'm very sorry to hear this.

Make sure to report your lost equipment through your Hasselblad dealer.

When any of our clients have had Phase One gear stolen we've registered it in the service system as stolen, so if anyone ever calls or emails about that equipment (for service, support, to ask about warranty) it shows the tech that it is stolen. I assume Hasselblad has a similar capability.

Bo_Dez

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 08:58:06 am »

I'm very sorry to hear this.

Make sure to report your lost equipment through your Hasselblad dealer.

When any of our clients have had Phase One gear stolen we've registered it in the service system as stolen, so if anyone ever calls or emails about that equipment (for service, support, to ask about warranty) it shows the tech that it is stolen. I assume Hasselblad has a similar capability.

Wow, Doug, for the amount of Shilling you do for Phase One in completely unrelated posts, you would make a great Phase One salesman.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 09:11:25 am »

Wow, Doug, for the amount of Shilling you do for Phase One in completely unrelated posts, you would make a great Phase One salesman.

Give me a break.

I know Phase One. I don’t know Hasselblad. I know such a mechanism does exist for Phase One and assume-but-do-not-know it exists for Hasselblad as well.

I could have said “report this to Hasselblad so they can note it’s stolen in their system” but if it turns out there is not such a procedure at Hasselblad then that advice would be confusing and misleading. If Hassy reps frequented this forum with regularity then I would leave it to them (if you have a friend at Hassy I encourage you to have them participate on a more ongoing basis), but having seen no post to this point made on the thread I thought it was practical and actionable advice, and I thought the context behind why I was suggesting it was helpful.

If someone (the OP, someone from Hassy, another user who has done so) confirms that Hassy has such a registry and explains their preferred procedure (talk to a specific department? talk to your dealer? email a specific address? go to a specific URL?), then in the future I will gladly note that procedure without mentioning any other camera companies, because then it wouldn't provide any context.

My concern is for the guy who lost his camera.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 09:26:06 am by Doug Peterson »

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 09:41:02 am »

I'm not sure how this was completely unrelated.

Bo_Dez

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 09:58:36 am »

My concern is for the guy who lost his camera.

Sure it is.

Give me a break.

The power for a break is in your hands Doug. Reach out. Reach out and grab it.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 12:07:40 pm »

The power for a break is in your hands Doug. Reach out. Reach out and grab it.

That's a distinctly and needlessly mean-spirited comment.

eronald

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2018, 12:46:19 pm »

Doug was explaining the system which manufacturers have in place to help their customers with theft issues. Canon told me they do the same.

Doug may be a salesman (when he's not a book author) but he has a history of being helpful to all members of this forum regardless of their brand of allegiance.

Edmund

Bo_Dez

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2018, 12:55:08 pm »

That's a distinctly and needlessly mean-spirited comment.

You'll get over it. If you want to spam all the time you could try be less sensitive.

I find your endless spam irritating and annoying. Others may have a different opinion and they are welcome to it. I know there are many who share my opinion. All this spam makes for a dull forum.

And stop DM'ing me too.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 12:58:18 pm by Bo_Dez »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up