Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Stolen Hasselblad X1D system  (Read 7035 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Stolen Hasselblad X1D system
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2018, 01:02:42 pm »

That's a distinctly and needlessly mean-spirited comment.

+1

I’ve seen a few mean-spirited comments on LuLa, but this one seems to take the cake, as it was given in response to a perfectly useful and legitimate comment by Doug. Pointing out that certain dealers have that practice is a generally valuable information. Pointing out to the OP to try that avenue with their dealer is a specifically valuable information.

Bo_Dez

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 01:02:48 pm »

Doug was explaining the system which manufacturers have in place to help their customers with theft issues. Canon told me they do the same.

Doug may be a salesman (when he's not a book author) but he has a history of being helpful to all members of this forum regardless of their brand of allegiance.

Edmund

And a history of Spam.

Bo_Dez

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2018, 01:03:44 pm »

+1

I’ve seen a few mean-spirited comments on LuLa, but this one seems to take the cake, as it was given in response to a perfectly useful and legitimate comment by Doug. Pointing out that certain dealers have that practice is a generally valuable information. Pointing out to the OP to try that avenue with their dealer is a specifically valuable information.

When it's taken in the in the context of his other posts it makes sense.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2018, 01:05:21 pm »

And a history of Spam.

You call it spam, we call it valuable contribution.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2018, 01:06:50 pm »

Canon told me they do the same.

Perhaps you could suggest the procedure Canon advised in case someone with that kind of camera comes across this thread now or in the future. i.e. Was it a specific phone number or email? the dealer from whom you purchased? the service center? the general information line? specific URL?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 01:12:32 pm by Doug Peterson »

Doug Peterson

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2018, 01:18:53 pm »

I really hate hearing about stolen cameras.

I had a Canon stolen from the back of a wedding a long time ago. I had two kits with me, and during a prayer in the wedding put one down at the back of the church to move to the front-side of the church for a photo. I couldn't have been away from it for more than 90 seconds. Gone.

My best guess is someone at the church was a thief who sat toward the back waiting for some valuable (purse, camera bag, whatever) to be unwatched, picked it up moments after I put it down and just walked out. Who is on close guard at a wedding? Yet, with all the different connections people have to a wedding (two different families, friends with different connections to the couple, etc) nobody would call someone out for not being an invited guest as long as they dressed reasonably.

It felt worse than the loss of property. The insurance paid out as expected, but the experience left me feeling violated and I can't help but think it tainted my view of the world, of strangers, of humanity. I've obviously led a pretty lucky and privileged life that this is one of the worst things that's happened to me, but that doesn't make it suck less.

It also stings especially badly to hear about a stolen camera when it's a niche/speciality camera. One could imagine someone unloading a Canon (because it's a high-volume camera that is common) but, for example, when you hear about a Hassy/Phase/Alpa/Cambo/Arca etc being stolen it just seems less likely to me that the thief would be able to move that through the normal stolen-goods channels (i.e. pawn shop, craigslist, eBay etc) and would probably just ditch them.  Knowing it probably ended up tossed in a dumpster is a real crime against these beautiful cameras.  I have no particular expertise to know that this is the case, just my gut feeling. If anyone here worked in law enforcement or otherwise has some expertise here I'd love to hear their thoughts, especially regarding any not-yet-said ideas for where to look for the lost gear and/or how to get the police to take a bit more interest in helping.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 01:25:53 pm by Doug Peterson »

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2018, 01:26:55 pm »

I've called out Doug in the past but I don't see how his suggestion to report this theft to the manufacturer is anything other than plain common sense.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2018, 01:32:57 pm »

I've called out Doug in the past but I don't see how his suggestion to report this theft to the manufacturer is anything other than plain common sense.

Friendly guard rails preventing me from careening out of control always welcome.  ;D

Bo_Dez

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2018, 01:33:20 pm »

It is plain common sense, you are right. And that's why we didn't need an advertorial attached to it. When there is a post about Fuji, Doug is often there derailing and talking about Phase One. When there is a post about Hasselblad, Doug is often there derailing and talking about Phase One. The forum activity seems to have shrunk a lot in the last year, at least relative to other forums and I believe this is one reason why.

There are many reps who who contribute very valuable information without the spam and I enjoy their posts and company.

I suggest if anyone wants to talk about this some more we take it to another thread.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 01:37:11 pm by Bo_Dez »

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2018, 01:50:32 pm »

As a Hasselblad user for some 30 years I would have loved to have Doug as my dealer.

;-)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2018, 02:21:50 pm »

Perhaps you could suggest the procedure Canon advised in case someone with that kind of camera comes across this thread now or in the future. i.e. Was it a specific phone number or email? the dealer from whom you purchased? the service center? the general information line? specific URL?

In my case I belonged to CPS, so you record all your numbers on their web site.

But otherwise I think you can call their service center. They told me every device that is handed in for repair is checked against the theft register, which I assume is international. I guess the advantage is that the police can interview the new "owner" before the item is handed back to them, and eg in the case of theft rings they will eventually be able to backtrace some of the fences.

It would be useful to make this fact more widely known, because in many places a photographer is regarded as an ATM with feet.

Edmund

If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2018, 02:48:21 pm »

In light of the discussion (not the rude part), this may be of interest to some:
https://mygearvault.com/

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2018, 02:51:04 pm »

Doug was explaining the system which manufacturers have in place to help their customers with theft issues. Canon told me they do the same.

Doug may be a salesman (when he's not a book author) but he has a history of being helpful to all members of this forum regardless of their brand of allegiance.

Amen.

siddhaarta

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2018, 03:38:18 pm »

I'm very sorry to hear this.

Make sure to report your lost equipment through your Hasselblad dealer.

When any of our clients have had Phase One gear stolen we've registered it in the service system as stolen, so if anyone ever calls or emails about that equipment (for service, support, to ask about warranty) it shows the tech that it is stolen. I assume Hasselblad has a similar capability.

Wouldn't that be the task/responsibility of the insurance company. Legally, they are the "owners" of the stolen good as soon as payments have been made, right?

I would (naively ? ...) imagine that camera insurance companies (in their best own profit interest) have their own mechanisms in place to cooperate with the main photographer associations, camera manufactures, auction sites, etc. in order to get informations about the whereabouts of stolen items.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2018, 03:49:45 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 03:56:26 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

hubell

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2018, 05:32:58 pm »

Wouldn't that be the task/responsibility of the insurance company. Legally, they are the "owners" of the stolen good as soon as payments have been made, right?

I would (naively ? ...) imagine that camera insurance companies (in their best own profit interest) have their own mechanisms in place to cooperate with the main photographer associations, camera manufactures, auction sites, etc. in order to get informations about the whereabouts of stolen items.

No way. Unless you are talking about a theft of huge proportions (e.g., the Gardner Museum art theft in Boston), the insurance companies NEVER go looking for the  stolen goods. They view that as a waste of time, money and effort.

hubell

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2018, 05:43:51 pm »

I know you are all dying to know this, but the OP who had his X1D kit stolen cross posted this on the X1D Facebook page and a real, live Hasselblad employee (imagine that!) responded immediately advising the OP to email the serial number information to Hasselbad's Customer Service so that Hasselblad has it on file in the event the equipment is sent in for repair. Just like Doug suggested would be the case.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2018, 06:03:50 pm »

I know you are all dying to know this, but the OP who had his X1D kit stolen cross posted this on the X1D Facebook page and a real, live Hasselblad employee (imagine that!) responded immediately advising the OP to email the serial number information to Hasselbad's Customer Service so that Hasselblad has it on file in the event the equipment is sent in for repair. Just like Doug suggested would be the case.

Good to know. Thanks for closing that loop. Any chance you could post the specific email address (i.e. was it support@hasselblad.com?) that was given, in case someone else comes across this thread in a similar situation?

Doug Peterson

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2018, 06:05:39 pm »

No way. Unless you are talking about a theft of huge proportions (e.g., the Gardner Museum art theft in Boston), the insurance companies NEVER go looking for the  stolen goods. They view that as a waste of time, money and effort.

That is my experience as well.

Very frustrating.

pschefz

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2018, 06:58:58 pm »

really sorry to hear...just sucks...whoever stole it probably had no real clue of the value...not that that really matters anyway...

I saw the signs at land's end last time i was in SF, felt funny to park my car right below one....reminded me of NY and how everybody made sure to leave NOTHING in the car and made sure nothing might look like it might cover something up....
i go to SF frequently and am always so amazed how a city with such incredible wealth obviously has so little interest in simple solutions that work.....locking people up does not work....not providing housing does not work...more police does not work....
i do feel that there still is some of the 60's idea floating somewhere that still brings young people to SF and get into heavier and heavier drugs....but that is exactly where the city should step in....its a little like in Venice beach...seeing young kids living in the streets is really hard for me....maybe it is "their choice" at that point but there is no return from that...not with the business of incarceration ruining any chance of really getting out.....

i would not be surprised to see this kit turn up somewhere soon.....whoever stole it probably sold it for nothing and whoever bought it and knew what they bought had to know that it was stolen, so there should be some conscience there.....or at worst hopefully some Karma along the way....

my insurance covers items stolen out of my car, supposedly as long as a police report is filed with serial numbers....i hope i never have to depend one that....
schefz.com
artloch.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up