Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gathering Storm  (Read 1025 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Gathering Storm
« on: August 17, 2018, 03:30:40 pm »

..and twenty minutes earlier, it was warm and sunny!

Dave

KMRennie

Re: Gathering Storm
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 04:39:57 pm »

Terrific image Dave. Next you will be telling me that it sometimes rains in the summer. Ken

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 06:29:46 pm »

Terrific, indeed!  Arresting.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 08:38:13 am »

My guess is, Dave, that you have an opportunity to shoot "Gathering Storms" a few times a day on Skye! ;)
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 12:10:10 pm »

Terrific image Dave. Next you will be telling me that it sometimes rains in the summer. Ken

;D

Terrific, indeed!  Arresting.

Why thank you  :)

My guess is, Dave, that you have an opportunity to shoot "Gathering Storms" a few times a day on Skye! ;)

Yes it certainly can be like that Terry, but then again, there's nothing like a bit of active stormy weather to get the old creative juices flowing is there?

Yet actually, this year the weather has been strange up here on the island. Firstly we got about a six week period of hot and complete dryness, with uninterrupted blue skies in mid May and June, which seemed to have taken place just as the midges were coming out to play and which appears to have killed them all off completely. Which is good for my photography, as I have been able to go out and not have the wee beasties munching on the backs of my ears every time, but probably not so good for nature.

But having now lived up here for seven years and also having photographed the living daylights out of the place and the surrounding area, I feel as though I know how the weather seems to work most of the time. We usually get periods of around 2 to 3 weeks of unsettled, rainy, windy weather, but which can still be excellent for photography, it is just that you have to pick when you are willing to foray out into it. Then we can get a period of maybe a week were it is really good if not totally crystal clear amazing, followed by another couple of weeks of indifferent or rapidly changing weather. Yet all have their positives and negatives of course and occasionally, as in 3 times over 7 years, the weather can get stuck under the jet stream (which runs directly over our heads most of the time) and then drop into a deep dark rut for about 2 months and then it can get really dreich, but quite fun to sit looking at through the car window, as we drink a flask of hot tea and nibble on a few chocolate biscuits - followed by a snooze 8)

Dave
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 12:30:50 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 02:12:23 pm »

... quite fun to sit looking at through the car window, as we drink a flask of hot tea and nibble on a few chocolate biscuits - followed by a snooze 8)

My favorite kind of photography!

Lovely, moody image.

Farmer

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 05:01:42 pm »

Depth, mood, contrast, texture, and focus - wow, it's got it all.  This is a cracking shot - love it!
Phil Brown

francois

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 03:59:45 am »

Superb image. I like the square format. It seems to boost the sense of convergence (clouds and reflections) toward the center of the horizon as if the "nice & sunny weather" is fleeing away.
Francois

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 09:56:09 am »

Superb image. I like the square format. It seems to boost the sense of convergence (clouds and reflections) toward the center of the horizon as if the "nice & sunny weather" is fleeing away.

Yes I agree and it gives me a feeling as though I am being quickly enveloped by the darkness, like the world is closing in and wrapping its cold tentacles around me - smothering even.

My Mom used to tell me when I was a child, that I had a very fertile imagination indeed, but now she is nearly in her nineties, she tells me that I have a very furtive imagination...?

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up