Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mouse living in Printer  (Read 536 times)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
Mouse living in Printer
« on: June 04, 2019, 09:51:47 am »

I had a very strange situation occur to me over the weekend.  After powering up my Epson 3880 which hasn't been used for at least six weeks, my wife heard a terrible sound followed by an error message.  I immediately turned the power off and had a look inside.  To my horror, the inside was filled with what looked like stuffing from a chair and other goodies.  At this point, I figured the printer was forever ruined, but this wasn't the case.  After carefully removing all the contents and a quick vacuum, the printer works fine.  This would have never happened back when we owned a cat.  I now make a full inspection before beginning to print. 

Rob C

Re: Mouse living in Printer
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 10:41:36 am »

I had a very strange situation occur to me over the weekend.  After powering up my Epson 3880 which hasn't been used for at least six weeks, my wife heard a terrible sound followed by an error message.  I immediately turned the power off and had a look inside.  To my horror, the inside was filled with what looked like stuffing from a chair and other goodies.  At this point, I figured the printer was forever ruined, but this wasn't the case.  After carefully removing all the contents and a quick vacuum, the printer works fine.  This would have never happened back when we owned a cat.  I now make a full inspection before beginning to print.

Get another cat; unlike dogs, they are independent souls, and if you live in the sticks and have to go away for a while, they will look after themselves perfectly well - outside, of course.

Rob

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 11:11:59 am »

Get another cat; unlike dogs, they are independent souls, and if you live in the sticks and have to go away for a while, they will look after themselves perfectly well - outside, of course.

Rob

Shitty advice then. Returning home after six weeks will find you a feral cat AND a mouse in the printer.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 12:22:28 pm »

Shitty advice then. Returning home after six weeks will find you a feral cat AND a mouse in the printer.

Only if you believe in cat flaps in doors.

Would a feral cat be a match for a mouse high on exotic Epson inks? Here, we get rats under the hood. They are attracted by the body warmth of cars that have travelled, or just been left in the sunshine, and climb up the wheels into the engine compartment. Mine has had cables eaten, and food remains left on the battery tray and top. Not by me, by the rats.

Rob

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 12:23:21 pm »

When I ran a vanpool, a mouse ate through the wiring, and while going 60 miles an hour on highway 17 from Santa Cruz to Cupertino, the bare wires connected and powered the starter motor. Not a pretty experience.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 12:32:16 pm »

Only if you believe in cat flaps in doors.

Would a feral cat be a match for a mouse high on exotic Epson inks? Here, we get rats under the hood. They are attracted by the body warmth of cars that have travelled, or just been left in the sunshine, and climb up the wheels into the engine compartment. Mine has had cables eaten, and food remains left on the battery tray and top. Not by me, by the rats.

Rob

Might be this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beech_marten

We have those. They are apparently attracted to some fishy stuff in electric wire insulation and other tubing. Just recently the radiator system in our car drained itself thru some tiny teeth holes in a small tube. Obviously, the lowest point in the system, because I'm sure they know. Just like they must know they are protected in the EU. Oh wait, strike that from the record, before the world war iii starts.
Regards,
~ O ~

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 12:35:48 pm »

Indeed and some don't seem to know about all the dog's breed to catch critters.
"Dogs have masters. Cats have staff."
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

JoeKitchen

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 12:53:02 pm »

"Dogs have masters. Cats have staff."

;D
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 01:48:00 pm »

Well, while not in a such sophisticated device like a printer, but also not so small like a mouse: in April one year, just as I was about to open the grilling season (Midwest), I pulled out the bin under the grill, devised to store a bag of coal, etc, to find this:

Also. for years, my cat would jump on the printer table the moment I begin printing, walk around it sniffing, then settle into a pounce-ready position, waiting for something to come out. Disappointed every time.

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 02:00:47 pm »

The problem was my cat loved to sit on outgassing prints. Our cat was essentially feral when we got her and was always the good mouser!   Living in an old house in Yosemite is always an adventure. 

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 02:29:33 pm »

Well, while not in a such sophisticated device like a printer, but also not so small like a mouse: in April one year, just as I was about to open the grilling season (Midwest), I pulled out the bin under the grill, devised to store a bag of coal, etc, to find this:
That one looks like an Art Critic to me.   ;)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 02:37:09 pm »

Also. for years, my cat would jump on the printer table the moment I begin printing, walk around it sniffing, then settle into a pounce-ready position, waiting for something to come out. Disappointed every time.

Too bad you already bought meat during grocery shopping...

Regards,
~ O ~

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 02:54:53 pm »

That one looks like an Art Critic to me.   ;)

Good observation; didn't expect them all, as a rule, to be quite as pretty, though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up