Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV, DVD, Streaming, Boxed sets, whatever.  (Read 2363 times)

B-Ark

Re: TV, DVD, Streaming, Boxed sets, whatever.
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 07:38:26 am »

One of my most enjoyed series - Touch with Keifer Sutherland. A young boy who see's connections and relationships between things and people. Season 1 has some of the most compelling writing and storytelling. Season 2 goes off the rails when they succumb to the cliche of 'evil nasty company' coming after gifted children.

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2018, 09:00:51 am »

Blake's Seven.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2018, 09:13:41 am »

Okay, if we are allowed to drop the straight face, then I used to watch these with the family and look forward to the entertainment, the Golden Wonder crisps and the scotch on the rocks to smooth away the salt:

The Rockford Files (the Pontiac!)
The Avengers
The Prisoner
I have the boxed DVD sets to all three of these and occasionally pop one in to watch. 

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 10:26:08 am »

I have the boxed DVD sets to all three of these and occasionally pop one in to watch.

I often think that would be nice to do.

By now, I'm sure I would remember zero about plots; if there were any.

As of recently, I'm running through my second (or is it third?) watching of the Engrenages (Spiral) series, which is French with English subs. Without them, my French is too far gone to serve very well, and I'm told the characters all use a local Parisian patois that would have left me clueless anyway. The subs are good, in the sense that I feel I get a very good idea of plot. Or should that be, of a parallel plot? Anyway, the thing is, with these modern, multiculturally cast shows, I find it impossible to keep track of the characters other than, say, the four leads. As for names - forget it; in one and out the other as soon as the episode is over.

Too many people, looking much the nsame, doing too much that seems not to matter very much either. Might be me.

Truth be told, I prefer movies because it all gets done and dusted in ninety minutes or so.

Had movies been allowed into the choices, I'd have gone for La Dolce Vita, 8 1/2, Cinema Paradiso, La Grande Bellezza, Et Dieu Créa la Femme (Bardot vehicle) and The Matrix (1) for starters. Blowup? Relevant at the time (to me) but a bit unreal...

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2018, 01:25:13 pm »

The Avengers
Oh yeah, Emma Peel in black leather skin tights.  :P
The Prisoner was awesome (and Secret Agent man).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Peter McLennan

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2018, 07:20:44 pm »

Surprised nobody's mentioned "Breaking Bad".  I'll add, "Yes Minister", "Fawlty Towers" any of Ken Burns' series, and a "plus one" for "Detectorists", "Broadchurch", the European version of "The Bridge" and add to the mix the Norwegian "Occupied" and the Brit series "Shetland".

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2018, 09:38:48 pm »

Oh yes, Shetland, just watched season 4.

Also in the British cop vein, there is Vera, should be seeing season 8 soon. She might grate at first, but keep watching.

Staying with the theme, Inspector George Gently, set in the early 60s, I believe. You get to see neat old cars as a bonus.

Line of Duty is a series about a British internal affairs squad. Lots of complicated plot twists, pay attention.
--
Robert

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2018, 09:43:03 pm »

I will heartily second mentions of The Wire. Sopranos also. And Foyle's War. My only boxed set is a collection of Marx Brothers films.

Farmer

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2018, 03:22:41 am »

+1 for Line of Duty and Shetland.

I've been focussed on more recent series, but the older ones like Blake's 7, Yes Minister (and Yes Prime Minister) are great and Yes Minister stands up surprisingly well despite it being clearly dated.
Phil Brown

Rob C

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2018, 04:47:40 am »

Surprised nobody's mentioned "Breaking Bad".  I'll add, "Yes Minister", "Fawlty Towers" any of Ken Burns' series, and a "plus one" for "Detectorists", "Broadchurch", the European version of "The Bridge" and add to the mix the Norwegian "Occupied" and the Brit series "Shetland".

Forgot about Breaking Bad. I have that on the iPad. The pilot episode was good, but I lost interest as I went along the series, and now it remains, the greater part unwatched. It just made me feel uncomfortable somehow, and with no liking for the main guy.

Fawlty was fun at the time, but is a relatively short series so overplayed in a British context that the script has been learned by heart! If you enjoy hysteria - which I do - this is the one!

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2018, 05:34:42 am »

Outnumbered - light-hearted BBC comedy series acted out over many years (5 series + specials). Fascinating to see the undoubted star, Karen, growing from a very young girl into a teenager.

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2018, 08:21:49 am »

The Bletchley Circle, hands down one of the best TV series, headed by the wonderful Anna Maxwell Martin. And just learned that a new version, set in San Francisco, has been produced and will air soon, though Ms. Martin is not in it. 

Rob C

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2018, 03:32:08 pm »

Maybe these came before things got preserved:

Benny Hill; The Two Ronnies; Frankie Howerd (Up Pompeii and A funny Thing Happened On My Way To The Forum).

Telecaster

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2018, 04:15:27 pm »

No-one has mentioned Black Mirror yet. It's a British series consisting of self-contained stories, all with a dystopian or at best bemused take on the present or near future. Inspired by The Twilight Zone. All four series (so far), 18 episodes total, are available on Netflix.

-Dave-

Rand47

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2018, 02:32:00 pm »

The Amazon Prime produced “Bosch” series based on Connelly’s books.  Each season is one of books.  Titus Welliver is fabulous as Harry Bosch, and the rest of the cast is wonderful.

“Poldark” on PBS

“Justified” - Walton Goggins’ acting alone, makes this worth watching.

“Doc Martin” - Quirky and wonderful.  Clunes and company are charming.

Rand

« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 02:40:11 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2018, 02:52:32 pm »

Peaky Blinders on Netflix - Irish mafia in Britain - great photography, period atmosphere, plot, and acting.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2018, 03:21:49 pm »

West Wing for reasons we’re no longer at liberty to discuss here...

Rand47

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2018, 07:20:06 pm »

West Wing for reasons we’re no longer at liberty to discuss here...

The dialog on West Wing was some of the best ever written for TV, politics aside.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Farmer

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2018, 10:28:23 pm »

The dialog on West Wing was some of the best ever written for TV, politics aside.

And the long walking scenes, with characters dropping off and others joining in, were fantastic and never really had been done like that before (certainly not to that extent).  So much to like about that series.
Phil Brown
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up