Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What COULD a camera be in 2018?  (Read 6293 times)

BJL

Re: What COULD a camera be in 2018?
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2018, 04:31:02 pm »

Though many of those abilities appeal, I would start with a fast wireless interface with the more powerful computer with bigger screen and far more advanced software that I also carry, meaning a phone or tablet or laptop—then much of that fancy stuff could be done there, or at least using that device as a fancy remote control (and the newfangled stuff would be more easily ignored by those who don’t want it).

hogloff

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2018, 05:21:48 pm »

Not at all, if a photographer needs the tech then more power to their elbow. Not everyone does and describing those photographers who don't as cave dwellers is just insulting.

Peculiar as it may seem I tend to make judgements on image makers based on their images. If they can walk the walk I'll then listen with interest when they talk the talk.

I also find it insulting insinuating that because a photographer uses an advanced camera with a lot of automation...they are somehow not a "real photographer"...which has been implied by a few here. Would I love an option in a camera to do photo stacking in a camera to gain depth of field and clarity...yes I would. Manually taking images and slightly adjusting the focus has ZERO to do with being a great photographer...if the camera can take this drudgery out of the process...that's a win.

My A7R2 has an app that removes the need for ND filters by taking multiple images and merging them...another win as I don't need to fiddle around with filters. I have a flip screen on my camera enabling me to get lower to the ground without having to put my face into the mud in order to view through the viewfinder...another win. I can transfer images from my camera to my phone and share the images with friends and family...another win.

Tell me, from these technical advancements...which ones make me less of a photographer?

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2018, 05:28:14 pm »

I also find it insulting insinuating that because a photographer uses an advanced camera with a lot of automation...they are somehow not a "real photographer"...which has been implied by a few here. Would I love an option in a camera to do photo stacking in a camera to gain depth of field and clarity...yes I would. Manually taking images and slightly adjusting the focus has ZERO to do with being a great photographer...if the camera can take this drudgery out of the process...that's a win.

My A7R2 has an app that removes the need for ND filters by taking multiple images and merging them...another win as I don't need to fiddle around with filters. I have a flip screen on my camera enabling me to get lower to the ground without having to put my face into the mud in order to view through the viewfinder...another win. I can transfer images from my camera to my phone and share the images with friends and family...another win.

Tell me, from these technical advancements...which ones make me less of a photographer?

Not by me. See my previous post.

chez

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2018, 05:33:13 pm »

Not by me. See my previous post.

No...but some others.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2018, 11:25:22 pm »

No...but some others.

Not by me either.

Automated focus stacking is clearly useful and isn’t taking away any significant decision from the photographer.

Robotic stitching ism’t either.

Cheers,
Bernard

Rob C

« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2018, 04:38:28 am »

At least we know he is a photographer. I'd bet the results he'd get from using those pawn shop cameras would put most supercomputer camera wielding contributors here to shame.

Thanks for the defence, Keith, but as you know from your own long experience, it's what's in your head at the time that counts.

For myself, the less I have to consider apart from how the the image looks, the better!

Another poster writes:

1.  "So you equate being a photographer by the gear they use. Interesting.

2.  I guess then "real drivers" were back in the 60's and today's drivers with their computerized vehicles are just wannabes. And I guess those scientists that run simulations on computers when they are designing rockets are not "real scientists" since the "real scientists" used slide rulers to do their computations.

I always get a kick out of the cave dwellers when they emerge into today's world." ...  chez

1.  How this conclusion is arrived at is anybody's guess; mine would be that it's due to a half-grasped interpretation that is only half-grasped because the mind was unable to go further into the true meaning of the post because of a panic reaction of recognition that blurred the rest of the message. Happens all over the place, especially in ancient locked threads. (In relation to which, I recommend reading Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale.)

2.  I gather the reference to drivers was about those who race? If so, then perhaps not such a clever one. If driving skill is related to man's ability to handle a vehicle, then I fail to grasp how making the vehicle more capable of taking care of itself adds to the skills of the driver. But what do cave-dwellers know, especially those from Scotland? Need to consult a certain J. Stewart for that information.

;-)

HywelPhillips

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2018, 01:35:28 pm »

Sigh.

I didn't intend this thread to descend into traditionalist-vs-supercomputer-camera-user rivalry. LL is notable for the high proportion of working professionals to keyboard warriors, and we all work the way we like to work.

All that matters is the final image (modulo the ethics of making it- being kind, not putting anyone in danger!)

It doesn't really matter how we get there.

For me, more options for removing drudgery from making of the images are great. As new features evolve we do need to be mindful of the ergonomics to make them useable and controllable, though.

Personally, I would NEVER go back to the darkroom. I'm far too used to be able to hit CTRL-Z!

But if you are a different sort of photographer, the darkroom might be your palette and playground.

The sweet spot will be different for different people, shooting different subjects, in different styles and in different positions.
Even for the same photographer in different conditions, actually. I have a raw shooting/manual control app for shooting on my iPhone. I never use it. If I want more control, I reach for a Sony. And yet others can make beautiful art with their iPhone.

A bad workman blames his tools... but a professional workman will show up with the right tools for the job.

Cheers, Hywel

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2018, 12:26:55 pm »

After reading all of this thread and most good points of view...I would like, across the board, for all camera folks to adopt DNG.

You would think simple, but not so! Why?

Peter

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2018, 02:25:27 pm »

After reading all of this thread and most good points of view...I would like, across the board, for all camera folks to adopt DNG.

You would think simple, but not so! Why?

Because controlling the format is perceived by many companies as being a step towards controlling an industry and that Japanese manufacturers don’t see why an American company should control an industry to which they only contribute marginally?

Cheers,
Bernard

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2018, 09:32:51 am »

Because controlling the format is perceived by many companies as being a step towards controlling an industry and that Japanese manufacturers don’t see why an American company should control an industry to which they only contribute marginally?

Cheers,
Bernard

Plus, I may be completely wrong here, but would a universal format (DNG or other) be able to preserve some of the corrections/profiles/other type of data that is stored in proprietary RAW formats?

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2018, 11:22:00 am »

In addition to the original post, before the thread lost it's way for a while ;) here are a few that come to mind after just a minute thinking about it.   Some may or may not have been mentioned...

- I'd like to see is to use AI and quantitative imaging to correct for diffraction based on the aperture in use automatically as part of the image processor in camera.
- Global shutter for all sensor sizes
- Longer term, a complete elimination of the Bayer sensor using technologies that haven't even been demonstrated yet that allow all colors to be sensed at a single pixel site without any trickery and weird color gain algorithms to balance the luminance for every color (which is unlike Foveon)
- 16 bit color capture comes down to most pro-sumer and above cameras
- Completely user configurable menu structures.  The way I envision this is to provide a website or other online service that allows you to build the menu any way you want and then checks the integrity, checks if you left anything out that the camera is capable of, etc. and then allows you to upload the menu to the camera.  A fully customizable UI basically.
- Vastly improved EVF dynamic range.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2018, 04:18:34 pm »

Agreed 100% with all the points in your list!

Those would all be solid contributors and seen aligned with valid technological developments manufacturers will be interested in investing in.

Cheers,
Bernard

Dan Wells

« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2018, 01:22:51 am »

A great list - the RGB sensor is going to be hard, since you either have to have three adjacent sensors and a prism splitting the light (video cameras used to work this way, but it would be very bulky with even APS-C sensors, let alone full-frame) OR some way of compensating for the fact that some wavelengths of light will be recorded on the top sensor of a stack, some will go through one sensor, and some unlucky wavelengths will have to go through two sensors (Foveon).

I think the new Nikon Z series take a first look at the diffraction issue?

Global shutter seems possible and useful - can it retain the dynamic range of present sensor designs?

16 bit capture is useful - the best current sensors (below medium format) are pushing right up against the limits of 14 bits of data...

User configurable menus should be easy - why has nobody done this?

Not sure about the technical prospects on EVF DR - great idea...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up