Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Article Just Published - The End Of Politics In The Coffee Corner  (Read 9993 times)

stamper

Re: New Article Just Published - The End Of Politics In The Coffee Corner
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2018, 10:27:50 am »

How are we going to cease political debates when one and the same side keeps posting provocative articles? Even in this thread about threads, one side keeps stating their case, but all hell breaks loose apparently only when the other side responds. It has not happened yet, because the other side so far shows patience and respect for the new rules, but it won’t take long.

The other side has posted. Your post is from the other side.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2018, 10:29:05 am »

Then:? ? ? ?
 ::)

Dr. Google, here is a Wikipedia quote to help you with your confusion (I know, I know... English language can be confusing even for native speakers):

For example, in the English sentence "My train leaves tomorrow morning", the verb form leaves is said to be in the present tense, even though in this particular context it refers to an event in future time.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 12:09:34 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

stamper

« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2018, 10:34:20 am »

It is a pity that when politics got banned trolling didn't? :-\

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2018, 10:48:08 am »

How are we going to cease political debates when one and the same side keeps posting provocative articles? Even in this thread about threads, one side keeps stating their case, but all hell breaks loose apparently only when the other side responds. It has not happened yet, because the other side so far shows patience and respect for the new rules, but it won’t take long.
There was a decent thread that seemed to be going quite well for about one week.  At that point, folks began to chime in with various political agendas and ignored the plea made in the initial post, "Let's keep this civil and focus on the research and issues that are coming forward."  For the most part we had a good discussion of the science until things veered off course.  I requested the thread be closed .  We ended up with 32 pages and several individuals welcomed the discussion that is archived here:  http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=121219.0  I continue to believe this to an important issue for photographers as many destinations are likely to be impacted by climate change.  In fact there is a LuLa trip to Greenland coming up.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 12:55:17 pm by Alan Goldhammer »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2018, 11:09:56 am »

However, the intent was not to prolong the discussion from Over There, but rather to highlight the importance of CC to us as landscape photographers who often visit the distant places affected rather than an abstract notion; and also to point out that there is no "debate", as such, because the real understanding comes from scientific research which few here are qualified to judge.

+1

And not only distant places. All of Northern Europe, when seen from the vantage point of a satellite, looks brown rather than green like it did in other years this time of the year. All my attempts to shoot something "Luminous" looked dry and barren after a month and a half without any rain worth mentioning (and I don't think it's my lack of skills).

http://www.euronews.com/2018/07/25/these-pictures-put-northern-europe-s-heatwave-in-perspective

A neighbor of mine spotted the first 2 bats this year, where they used to circle round my house every night when insects were available. Insect-eating birds are also having a hard time.

In January this year, I did shoot a couple of parrots (see attached) through my livingroom window with my cell phone, as they were perched in a tree outside my home, but they had escaped from their cages ... ;)

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 11:58:37 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2018, 11:34:55 am »

The other side has posted. Your post is from the other side.
This reminds me of the mimed tennis game in Blow Up (a movie) but lacking some of its entertainment value.

Manoli

« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2018, 11:48:46 am »

Chris,
Pour memoire ...

A word of warning (again) to those that engage in personal insults. Stop pissing in the pool. I won't hesitate to delete people's accounts and ban them without warning if this continues.

Michael

[quote from: hjulenissen on January 27, 2012, 10:19:06 PM]
You have talked about personal attacks and pissing in the pool a couple of times. Can you reference those more concretely?
-
Yes, you and your posts. Either call it a day, leave, or if you continue with your attacks you'll be banned.

Michael

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 01:49:35 pm by Manoli »

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2018, 11:51:01 am »

I wonder if this group could actually have a scientific discussion that included issues that have since been politicized elsewhere. I kind of doubt it.

-MattB

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2018, 11:54:41 am »

I wonder if this group could actually have a scientific discussion that included issues that have since been politicized elsewhere. I kind of doubt it.

I don't think it has much to do with this group. Lay people talking about science they do not understand rarely goes well. Absent actual understanding, we tend to interpret even hard science through the lens of our own prejudices and beliefs.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2018, 12:05:17 pm »

(I know, I know... English language can be confusing even of native speakers):
And as so recently illustrated here, presumably native writers!  8)
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2018, 12:07:49 pm »

This reminds me of the mimed tennis game in Blow Up (a movie) but lacking some of its entertainment value.
OT but yeah, a classic film every photographer should see and some may find amusing too.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2018, 12:52:33 pm »

I'm active over on the 'Color Management' section of LuLa and have yet to see any political posts of any kind.  Lots of good technical stuff so it can be done here on LuLa.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2018, 01:14:15 pm »

I'm active over on the 'Color Management' section of LuLa and have yet to see any political posts of any kind.  Lots of good technical stuff so it can be done here on LuLa.

Until someone in power declares Color Management is just a big hoax!
I myself believe in Color Management based on the facts and analysis by the experts, even if it would be more convenient to believe my colors are accurate sans management.  8)
-MattB

Ivophoto

« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2018, 01:49:36 pm »

I'd still be interested to know how all the people who didn't like it were being forced to read it.  The decision is fine, but I'm utterly stunned at the number of folks who have been upset or annoyed or in some way put out due to voluntarily reading content they didn't like.  Again and again.

/shrug

Those discussions dominantly popped up in my Tapatalk feed. I didn’t bother to read and the few times a looked into it, with big eyes, it was a kind of not so funny amusement, like a B movie, the popcorn bucket was to big to eat before the interest fainted.

I noticed, by moments,  that a sour tone sneaked into other treads as well.

I was moderator on other photo fora and when peoples got pissed for whatever reasons it reflected in all other sections of the site.
I think I recognized it here as well.
Members using their on line time for political or other ranting usually don’t contribute much to the real content of the site. More, they react with the inner f*cked Up feeling and enforce a negative spiral whole over the place.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2018, 02:02:34 pm »

Congratulations, just as before you have...

I apologize. It was meant as friendly teasing, but obviously came across much stronger. I have deleted the post. Feel free to delete my part of your response as well, if you wish so.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2018, 02:12:47 pm »

I don't think CC was "banned" because it is "politics" in itself, but because the mode of discourse was based on political rather than scientific judgments.

Correct.

I don't think it has much to do with this group. Lay people talking about science they do not understand rarely goes well. Absent actual understanding, we tend to interpret even hard science through the lens of our own prejudices and beliefs.

Also correct, and the reason that discussion of climate change is banned. And by that, I mean banned in this thread as well as in every other.

Views have been expressed. The matter is not open for debate.

Bart and Jeremy: don't try the trick of introducing discussion on climate change again.

Jeremy
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up