Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New Article Just Published - The End Of Politics In The Coffee Corner  (Read 9991 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: New Article Just Published - The End Of Politics In The Coffee Corner
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2018, 08:25:41 pm »

I am reporting them, yes. And I will continue to.
+1! But some show their true colors to other members even when the topic isn't about politics.
I suspect this post will soon be locked down and frankly I don't see why it shouldn't be considering the line drawn in the sand here that most accept and appreciate.
And IMHO guys and gals, it's raw, not RAW unless you're talking about maybe wrestling and here's a photo composite to prove that point. Debates about the quality of the photography or Photoshop work?  ::)
Dr. Google found this for Solbodan, seems a good start:
https://www.debatepolitics.com
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2018, 11:41:31 pm »

Good!If I wanted to (which I don't )  talk poltics I'd be on Face Book. I come here for the photographic content.
Good!If I wanted to (which I don't )  talk poltics I'd be on Face Book. I come here for the photographic content.

Good point! Even worse than the political discussions are the threads showing images with blurry liquids and those silly vertical smudges. I really hate to be forced to see such disgusting pictures. Time to return to the photography.

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2018, 02:26:23 am »

I tried really hard to let this one go, but couldn't. YOU started a few dumpster fires of your own, or poured gasoline on others. And then realized it stinks too much and elected to leave. And now you are holier than the Pope. Sheesh!

Actually, I like Andrew, I like his website, and on the whole, your posts, Slobodan, tend to annoy me, but you‘ve got an extremely good point here. Initially Andrew was a very disruptive forum participant at Lula. Now he’s in the tent, pi**ing out. And being a touch hypocritical. Pity.
--
David Mantripp

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2018, 02:39:38 am »

Really time to close this here, too. And I hope the discussion will not return elsewhere!

Just another image, perhaps a better fit for LuLa:

Imagine visiting an exhibition of fine photos. Would anyone be able to enjoy it, if part of the audience is shouting at each other in the hallway? Certainly not me. Probably I'd leave after a while, because it's not possible to do, what is the purpose of the exhibition. There might be some with bad ears or good nerves who do not care about the shouting, few might even find it interesting, as they find everything that happens  interesting. But most people will be disturbed and just leave quietly, shaking their heads.

Farmer

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2018, 02:51:33 am »

Really time to close this here, too. And I hope the discussion will not return elsewhere!

Just another image, perhaps a better fit for LuLa:

Imagine visiting an exhibition of fine photos. Would anyone be able to enjoy it, if part of the audience is shouting at each other in the hallway? Certainly not me. Probably I'd leave after a while, because it's not possible to do, what is the purpose of the exhibition. There might be some with bad ears or good nerves who do not care about the shouting, few might even find it interesting, as they find everything that happens  interesting. But most people will be disturbed and just leave quietly, shaking their heads.

Imagine the exhibition was at, say, an exhibition centre.  In a different part of the exhibition centre, a boxing match was on.  Because it's in a different part of the centre and you're not being forced to walk through that part, you enjoy your time at the photo exhibition and go home, only aware that there was a boxing match but never seeing it because you didn't go over there and look.  That's what most people do.
Phil Brown

Farmer

« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2018, 02:57:44 am »

I never claimed to be particularly holy, Slobodan. You made that part up.

Knock off the personal attacks. I am reporting them, yes. And I will continue to.

Absolutely nothing that Slobo said was a personal attack on you.  I've seen more robust exchanges of "good morning" between friends.

Here is the rule that kept Fidonet running for decades:

1) Thou shalt not excessively annoy others.

2) Thou shalt not be too easily annoyed.

Under 9.1 General at https://www.fidonet.org/policy4.txt

Number 2 is the genius part of it.

I have zero concerns with the decision made, by the way.
Phil Brown

Farmer

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2018, 03:07:29 am »

'Forced' is likely too strong a word  ;D, however readers on Tapatalk see everything posted and if one uses the 'Show unread posts..' that also shows all new posts...

Frankly, the Coffee Corner's silliness [uses mild word] has been a serious PIA for two years or more. Time to move on.

For sure, Chris.  It's really a non-issue as a decision - the site is the site and that's good.  As for Tapatalk, I'm with Slobo that it's not a great experience, but I just tried it again (still not great) but I still managed to navigate the site without reading something I wasn't interested in (by looking at the subject).  By the exclamation of some people you would have thought they were made to read it at gun point :-)
Phil Brown

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2018, 05:36:34 am »

What about photographs or photographic essays with strong political content? Will they be also banned from LuLa?

Not necessarily. Read my post.

Jeremy

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2018, 08:57:47 am »

Before this thread gets locked down I would make the point that the entire discussion as well as the threads that were locked on the Coffee Corner (including the climate change ones that I thought would be apolitical but ended up not), is highly reminiscent of Akira Kurosawa's great film 'Rashomon.'  Amazing the various viewpoints everyone had as well as their responses.

I'm pretty much in agreement with Phil and Slobodan (we even agreed on some topics) about the threads.  Personally, I think it will be a loss.  In the end it is LuLa's management that makes the decision. 

Far more worrisome to me is not the shutting down of the 'Coffee Corner' with respect to politics but that gradual lack of participation and new topics in the technical sections of LuLa.  I seldom read the camera reviews as I see no need for new gear but I regularly read and participate on the color management, printer, & LR fora and over the past 2-3 months it appears that activity perceptibly slowed.  To me this has been the major value of LuLa and if it disappears there is really not much value in the site (just my opinion obviously and I purchased the excellent technical videos that were done by Michael and Jeff).  But this is probably a topic of another thread.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2018, 09:41:11 am »

Before this thread gets locked down I would make the point that the entire discussion as well as the threads that were locked on the Coffee Corner (including the climate change ones that I thought would be apolitical but ended up not), is highly reminiscent of Akira Kurosawa's great film 'Rashomon.'  Amazing the various viewpoints everyone had as well as their responses.

I'm pretty much in agreement with Phil and Slobodan (we even agreed on some topics) about the threads.  Personally, I think it will be a loss.  In the end it is LuLa's management that makes the decision. 

Far more worrisome to me is not the shutting down of the 'Coffee Corner' with respect to politics but that gradual lack of participation and new topics in the technical sections of LuLa.  I seldom read the camera reviews as I see no need for new gear but I regularly read and participate on the color management, printer, & LR fora and over the past 2-3 months it appears that activity perceptibly slowed.  To me this has been the major value of LuLa and if it disappears there is really not much value in the site (just my opinion obviously and I purchased the excellent technical videos that were done by Michael and Jeff).  But this is probably a topic of another thread.

As do most of the sections and sub-sections of this and many other photography fora.

It's called summer.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 09:52:20 am by KLaban »

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2018, 09:54:25 am »

Given that I seem to have made something around 20 posts in the coffee corner in toto in the last 2 years, I have difficulty visualizing how the "very disruptive" label applies, but I suppose it's all in the eye of the beholder.

ETA: My crimes and wickedness are all a matter of public record, and well known to all involved here. To pretend that I am "hiding" them, or hoping that nobody remembers them, is silly. To imply that I should attach an Appendix A listing all my own crimes before commenting on anyone else's is equally silly. Of course I also have poo on me. I did not realize this was a secret (because it's not).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:21:27 am by amolitor »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2018, 10:05:02 am »

...  It's called summer.

Or is it already fall (in the interest in all things digital)?

The winter of our discontent is not to far away either, when most of us realize that all that glorious techical development and the shiny new gear has not made us better photographers ?

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2018, 10:41:56 am »

Or is it already fall (in the interest in all things digital)?

The winter of our discontent is not to far away either, when most of us realize that all that glorious techical development and the shiny new gear has not made us better photographers ?

Obv, yours still look like cell-pics... ;-)
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2018, 12:16:51 pm »

It has been suggested to me privately that there may be a perception that I have a privileged relationship with Kevin and/or Chris. How can I put this precisely...

I don't.

I know them via email, slightly, and they run one of several different web sites that occasionally publish something I have written. I have criticized LuLa in the past and no doubt will again, and I have praised LuLa as well,  and hope to do so again. That's it.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2018, 12:50:30 pm »

Given that I seem to have made something around 20 posts in the coffee corner in toto in the last 2 years...

Given the current era of 5-min attention spans, it is a miracle that some people can remember beyond 2 years ;)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2018, 01:06:16 pm »

It has been suggested to me privately that there may be a perception that I have a privileged relationship with Kevin and/or Chris.
It was probably suggested because the absurd is the last refuge of a pundit without an argument.  ;)

http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2018, 01:11:52 pm »

Given the current era of 5-min attention spans, it is a miracle that some people can remember beyond 2 years ;)
I can't remember what you just posted.  Can you repeat it?

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2018, 01:47:19 pm »

I won't miss it. I can find political arguments anywhere if I really want one.
-MattB

Two23

« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2018, 01:59:57 pm »

+1!

Photography defeats the media & politicians by bringing us together.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Telecaster

« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2018, 04:19:50 pm »

I'd point out that what was going on in the Corner was the antithesis of debate. A debate is an honest discussion amongst people who may disagree re. the topic at hand but recognize each other's basic good faith. What we had here were for the most part mutual coercion fests amongst dug-in believers. When an approach is tried multiple times and not only proves unpersuasive but results in a hardening of attitudes, a rational person will acknowledge failure and either change strategy or move on.

-Dave-
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up