Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New Article Just Published - The End Of Politics In The Coffee Corner  (Read 9992 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber

I just published a new article about the decision to end any political discussion on the Forum's Coffee Corner.  Notices are posted at the top of this About The Site Section as well as the Coffee Corner and this ARTICLE
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

Bravo! One comment/suggestion if that’s OK:
any new political thread will be summarily locked or deleted;
Delete them. Vaporize them. ;D If just locked, they remain as a forum “paper trail” and these posts don’t deserve an archive.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography

Good!If I wanted to (which I don't )  talk poltics I'd be on Face Book. I come here for the photographic content.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com

Good!If I wanted to (which I don't )  talk poltics I'd be on Face Book. I come here for the photographic content.
Me too! Me too!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

hokuahi

• Artist, Photographer
    • Exhibition

About time.

farbschlurf

• fototypo

Thank you!

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com

The Nature Photography site and forums that I am a co-founder of did the same thing for the same reasons about two years ago in the run-up to the 2016 election and all of the divisiveness that it generated.  But we found it was impossible to police within the sub-section of the site (similar to Coffee Corner here) since people had been conditioned to vent there.  We ended up having to shut down that section completely to make it stop without becoming a moderators nightmare.  Once we eliminated that section, the photo related discussions just naturally moved to other forum sections on the site and the politicing pretty much went away with the exception of stuff about endangered species and the loss of public lands which are appropriate discussions on a Nature Photography site but it's easier to moderate the one or two threads active at any given time about that stuff then a whole section that people got used to venting their political stuff in.

Krug

As on a number of occasions I have been critical of recent developments at Lula I - for one - am delighted to enthusiastically applaud this new policy regarding Coffee Corner.

Some have claimed in the past that this would be a denial of freedom of speech but that is nonsense. To deny access to views about a particular form of photography or make of hardware would be denial of freedom of speech in our context not editing to retain focus on the purpose of the site. Lula has always been essentially a site concerned with Photography. It built - under Michael Reichmann's leadership - an enviable reputation for expert, informed and impartial information and discussion of relevant topics in that field. Kevin Raber and his team have developed from that base to broaden that approach to keep in step with developing trends in the styles of communication but keeping closely to the essential subject matter - sometimes in ways that old curmudgeons like me find difficult to take on board.  A difficult line to tread but the future of the site requires it to be trod.

If serious discussion of political issues is what is wanted it is perhaps better to be involved with a site which offers similar levels of expertise and knowledge in that field as Lula offers in its' area of expertise.

Or, of course, if we want to rant and rail and merely take our prejudices out for an airing there is always the local Bar !!

Well done the Kevin Raber team.
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

Yes, indeed: Well done!

And I hope this will give Jeremy time to do some photography!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

TommyWeir

You have stronger stomachs than I, lasted longer than I could have borne.   Right decision, it has completely tainted my view of LuLa.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: New Article Just Published - The End Of Politics In The Coffee Corner
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 11:43:28 am »

This might be a contest winner for the most ironic forum post of the year. :)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2018, 12:28:27 pm »

It's been said by many here, many times, - including those in favour of unfettered debate - this is Kevin's party and Kevin gets to set the agenda.

Take it or leave it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 01:25:15 pm by KLaban »

Photog-x

Good
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2018, 02:07:29 pm »

I don't visit the forums much but I've seen politics ruin other forums too (photography forums).  It ruins the mood anyway.  I really don't care about anyone else's political view on a photography forum.  There are plenty of other places to discuss (argue) politics on the internet anyway.  I don't know why anyone would be offended that you can't discuss politics here either.  If I'm paying the bills I'd feel free to say whatever I want, but if someone else is paying the bills, then I will gladly limit my topics to those that the bill payer says is ok.  The payer is the sayer ;-)  I haven't read ANY of the replies to this posting but there usually seem to be some people that feel their free speech is being trampled.  That's nonsense and any adult should have a little sense and recognize that again, the payer is the sayer :-)   If you want politics, feel free to register your own domain, get your site created and pay the bills to keep your own political discussion forum up and running. Otherwise, stick to what everyone knows this site is about anyway...photography. 

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 03:08:59 pm »

The Nature Photography site and forums that I am a co-founder of did the same thing for the same reasons about two years ago in the run-up to the 2016 election and all of the divisiveness that it generated.  But we found it was impossible to police within the sub-section of the site (similar to Coffee Corner here) since people had been conditioned to vent there.  We ended up having to shut down that section completely to make it stop without becoming a moderators nightmare.

I hope that won't happen here. I log on pretty much every day and I will rigorously enforce the new criteria for permissible posts.

Yes, indeed: Well done!

And I hope this will give Jeremy time to do some photography!

Let's hope, eh? I'll be in France and Spain shortly, so I'll do my best.

Jeremy

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2018, 06:49:58 pm »

Let's hope, eh? I'll be in France and Spain shortly, so I'll do my best.

Jeremy
San Sebastian and Bilbao???  We were there in May, both towns are wonderful and great food along the way.

David Hufford

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2018, 01:06:55 am »

Finally. Thank you!
*Never fall in love with anything that c

Dave Rosser

• My Website

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 05:24:28 am »

Well, I can see where you’re coming from, but if you think that (a) climate change is politics because it has been hijacked by self-serving cynics (of all stripes), and even more, (b) that the security of the natural environment is not an issue that landscape photographers should be concerned with, then frankly, shame on you. I guess “toy shop” is pretty much the level around here these days.
--
David Mantripp

one iota

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2018, 05:31:47 am »

Good move.

I for one come to this place to read the views of fellow photographers on that subject. To have ones impression of those photographers coloured by their ideological positions is divisive and not at all constructive.

Politics should be like dirty boots: taken off and left outside the front door.
Mahn England

vjbelle

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2018, 07:33:09 am »

This can only make Luminous Landscape a better place for everyone.  It takes courage but it was the best thing to do. 

Victor

Edit:  I did not read the first post by Jeremy regarding 'The end of Politics' before this post.  It also took courage on Jeremy's part to admit that he was wrong regarding politics and this site.  Hats off to everyone for making this move.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 07:51:51 am by vjbelle »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up