Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stumped by clone tool behaviour  (Read 4013 times)

smahn

Re: Stumped by clone tool behaviour
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2018, 04:00:46 pm »

Op, it would be good to know if you are working on a single layer file or multi layered file. If multi layered, I suspect you might want to check the settings of your eyedropper tool. You may be doubling up the effect of adjustment layers.

Garnick

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2018, 09:17:16 am »

"Don't delete your preferences file. If you've made a lot of modifications, it can be a royal pain to restore all of them one at a time".

If you refer back to reply #4 you will see that I suggested taking screenshots of all of the prefs dialogs/groups.  If you were to do that it would require very little time to reset the prefs you need while referring to the screenshot for that particular group.  Total screenshots  = 10, that simple.  I don't know why you seem to think it's such a pain to reset a few prefs that might not coincide with the fresh prefs you have created by deleting the former set.  If the fresh prefs do actually solve the issue, is it not worth a few minutes of your time?

Gary   
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2018, 11:52:39 am »

"Don't delete your preferences file. If you've made a lot of modifications, it can be a royal pain to restore all of them one at a time".

If you refer back to reply #4 you will see that I suggested taking screenshots of all of the prefs dialogs/groups.  If you were to do that it would require very little time to reset the prefs you need while referring to the screenshot for that particular group.  Total screenshots  = 10, that simple.
No, it isn't quite that simple. Look under Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts.
- There are 10 Application Menus, each of which has flyout menus that require at least two screen shots to capture them.
- Then there are 22 Panel Menus, each of which opens to lengthy sub-menus too large to capture with a single screen shot.
- Then there is a list of 84 tools, also requiring several screen shots.

Those are the custom settings I was referring to. If you wanted to take screen shots of those, it could require considerably more than 10. And if you rashly deleted your prefs , it could take hours to restore them all one by one. That was my only point. Just don't delete prefs without planning ahead.

If the fresh prefs do actually solve the issue, is it not worth a few minutes of your time?

Of course! I've never suggested anything to the contrary.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 12:54:36 pm by Peano »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2018, 12:04:30 pm »

No, it isn't quite that simple. Look under Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts.
You were told how to deal with that.
You were told how to keep track of preferences to reset which isn't a big deal (expect possibly for you).

The OP's preferences may or may not be corrupted. You missed the post where he was asked to run some tests prior to deleting preferences but even if he does, it's not a big deal to reset them AND, if the preference ARE corrupted, the ONLY fix is to rebuild them as Adobe clearly shows in the data I provided.
Again, since you're making this far more difficult than it really is: there are ways to save off preferences before corruption. I showed you how. There are ways to jot down the specific settings that you yourself might forget to set (the horror, the horror), but the bottom line is this, if they are corrupted, and that's rather common, then there's only one fix. Delete them.
NOW that you know the facts and it's so awful for you to consider rebuilding preferences from memory or even screen captures, maybe you will consider backing up ALL the various preferences files when Photoshop is running sound so that if they get corrupted, all you have to do is deal with reinstalling that back up. And if you're lucky to be on a Mac running Time Machine, that is easy to do after the fact if you don't follow sound advise and back them up before they may get corrupted.

Now can we move aside from your hijack of this tread and let some of us go back to aiding the OP to see how he can get the clone tool fixed?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2018, 12:25:29 pm »

Now can we move aside from your hijack of this tread and let some of us go back to aiding the OP to see how he can get the clone tool fixed?
I haven't hijacked anything. Except for my initial post, I replied to you and Garnick. Don't get hysterical.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 12:30:29 pm by Peano »

Garnick

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2018, 01:01:12 pm »

I haven't hijacked anything. Except for my initial post, I replied to you and Garnick. Don't get hysterical.

If you're working on a Mac I can show you where the Keyboard Shortcut prefs are stored.  I'm not familiar with their exact location on a PC, but I'm sure someone would be able to direct you.  Let me know.

Gary
Gary N.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2018, 01:04:40 pm »

I'm not at all hysterical, you're assuming again.
Next, the facts surrounding preferences, how to delete them and why, and how what you state would be lost (wrong) was provided.
Lastly, since you feel it's such an egregious horror to have to reset all YOUR preferences, you've been shown how to back them up.

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2018, 01:06:36 pm »

I'm not at all hysterical, you're assuming again.
Next, the facts surrounding preferences, how to delete them and why, and how what you state would be lost (wrong) was provided.
Lastly, since you feel it's such an egregious horror to have to reset all YOUR preferences, you've been shown how to back them up.
You're awesome.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2018, 01:07:42 pm »

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2018, 01:08:26 pm »

If you're working on a Mac I can show you where the Keyboard Shortcut prefs are stored.  I'm not familiar with their exact location on a PC, but I'm sure someone would be able to direct you.  Let me know.

Gary
Thank you. I use a PC (Win7 Pro). In case others want to know, the keyboard shortcuts file resides here:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings\Keyboard Shortcuts.psp

Garnick

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2018, 08:22:19 pm »

Thank you. I use a PC (Win7 Pro). In case others want to know, the keyboard shortcuts file resides here:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings\Keyboard Shortcuts.psp
[/quote

OK, you know where the Keyboard Shortcut prefs reside, basically the same path as on the Mac.  What I don't understand is why you believe that you would have to reset all of them if you were to delete the PS prefs and start new.  As long as you backup the KBS prefs you're covered.

Gary 
Gary N.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2018, 08:40:43 pm »

What I don't understand is why you believe that you would have to reset all of them if you were to delete the PS prefs and start new.  As long as you backup the KBS prefs you're covered.
Gary
Exactly!

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2018, 08:47:32 pm »

OK, you know where the Keyboard Shortcut prefs reside, basically the same path as on the Mac.  What I don't understand is why you believe that you would have to reset all of them if you were to delete the PS prefs and start new.  As long as you backup the KBS prefs you're covered.

Gary
I don't believe that. I was merely cautioning the OP against rashly deleting the prefs file without thinking ahead. TO REPEAT:
And if you rashly deleted your prefs[i.e., without planning ahead] , it could take hours to restore them all one by one. That was my only point. Just don't delete prefs without planning ahead.
If that doesn't answer your question, you'll have to struggle on your own. I am done with this thread and you trolls.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 09:57:22 pm by Peano »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2018, 08:57:28 pm »

What I don't understand is why you believe that you would have to reset all of them if you were to delete the PS prefs and start new.  As long as you backup the KBS prefs you're covered.
Gary
And then:
I don't believe that. I was merely cautioning the OP against rashly deleting the prefs file without thinking ahead.
You don't believe that yet you wrote:

And if you rashly deleted your prefs , it could take hours to restore them all one by one.

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
― Søren Kierkegaard

So long.  :o

Garnick

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2018, 10:12:05 pm »

"If that doesn't answer your question, you'll have to struggle on your own. I am done with this thread and you trolls".

Well Andrew, I have to admit that now I'm 'stumped'.  I have no idea what this person is referring to, and how I now find myself in the valley of the trolls.  I thought I had made it perfectly clear that I am in no way involved in a struggle as far as the KBS Prefs are concerned, and how to back them up and then reuse them after the PS Prefs have been reset.  Obviously he or she has no idea what I was talking about and likely never will. I don't know if he/she is indeed "done with this thread".  What I do know is that I am.  At this juncture it's simply not worth my time.  If there is indeed a troll among us it is neither you nor me, so that leaves one other. 

Gary     
Gary N.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2018, 10:21:02 pm »

"If that doesn't answer your question, you'll have to struggle on your own. I am done with this thread and you trolls".

Well Andrew, I have to admit that now I'm 'stumped'.  I have no idea what this person is referring to, and how I now find myself in the valley of the trolls.  I thought I had made it perfectly clear that I am in no way involved in a struggle as far as the KBS Prefs are concerned, and how to back them up and then reuse them after the PS Prefs have been reset.  Obviously he or she has no idea what I was talking about and likely never will. I don't know if he/she is indeed "done with this thread".  What I do know is that I am.  At this juncture it's simply not worth my time.  If there is indeed a troll among us it is neither you nor me, so that leaves one other. 

Gary   
I agree but would still like to stick around for the OP and figure out his issue and a fix.

Garnick

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2018, 06:50:40 am »

Well I suppose I will probably check in occasionally and take a peek.  Oh Oh! I guess that puts me in the troll camp.  Do I sound worried?  ;)

Gary
Gary N.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up