Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mirrorless mount - will Canon stick to EOS?  (Read 5471 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Mirrorless mount - will Canon stick to EOS?
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2018, 11:10:23 am »

Fair enough Paul. Future will tell.

Cheers,
Bernard

bcooter

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2018, 06:30:21 pm »

Let's all mirrorless lovers (you were not very fond of mirrorless till recently BTW) enjoy the coming times.

Regards

This is probably more than anyone wants to or should read.  The point is with the last generation of digital cameras, in reality they are all mirrorless, regardless of the depth between the mount and the film . . . uh I mean sensor.  Just put the mirror up, add either an evf or use the back of the camera and you got mirrorless.

I’m not against mirrorless, as I own three brands, four if you include the REDs.    What I don’t understand about most mirrorless. is the short length of battery power, the fact the A9 gets close to accurate dslr focusing, especially tracking and the obsession over small size and don’t forget heat makes waste of the digital capture.  Maybe because I’m use to shooting with 15 to 20 lb REDs that make the larger dslr Canons or Nikons seem small, but RED was smart that everything that lit up was away from the body.

The only mirrorless I was interested in (at the time, was the A991 and 2) and they worked well except in testing though the focus tracking would hunt and miss with too much regularity.   Single Point stationary focus was fine, but the camera had a lot of workarounds, especially being stuck at F 3.5 for some functions and dropping to 12bit on continuous focusing at high frame rates on stills.   

The only camera I’ve bought without testing was the A7sII, mostly for motion imagery as I heard rave reviews, but mine is a challenge.    Mine is fine in direct sunlight, but not the low light master everyone claims.   Actually in direct comparision in stills I think the Olympus em1s shoots a better still file and in motion has 1/4 of the jello effect in any medium to quick movements.   I will admit that when the sony is on it’s on, long as you watch the highlights, especially the sky as it will band due to a large sensor and low bit rate footage.  I’m sure the other A7 series shoots a better file, but not in motion imagery and y a7s II will overheat in lightly high to moderate conditions.  Explain that one to the client.

I look at a camera in too ways.  1.  Does it allow me to do things I couldn’t previously do like fast lifestyle autofocus tracking in motion like my 1dxII that is dead nuts reliable and a military grade type of build.   2.  What does a camera keep me from doing, like low bitrates in motion that are difficult to grade, or battery life that is way too short without an external power supply.

This was shot with a 1dx on a project that yielded 10,000 thousands stills under demanding conditions. 

The image above I was riding on the back of an atv at 30 to 40 mph in rough terrain riding and holding on actually bouncing on the luggage rack,  to the point moments after this frame we hit a bump, I went flying off to my right and had to use the camera to push against the ground to level myself up and not go flying off.  I was sure the camera was done and the driver stopped I checked the camera and the blow had moved the cf card slightly out of it’s mount.  I lost a few frames, but put the card back in place and everything worked fine.

Through the day on an 8 day shoot,  I only used 1 1/2 batteries per day with a lot of frames and motion.

I understand that a lot of what we do is not everyone’s cup o’ tea on this forum, though if Sony or anyone made an APS C to full frame mirrorless with long life batteries, IS, high bit rate codec in a robust package, I’d be tempted.

The one thing I don’t understand from the dslr makers is why they don’t have an additive evf that mounts on the body, like the olympus. It allows you to go to 90 degrees, it is sharp and it doesn’t use much space.   That way any dslr is truly mirrorless and if you can’t lift 1 more pound, then the i-phone is a good idea.

IMO

BC

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 01:09:12 pm by bcooter »

BJL

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2018, 07:07:53 am »

@cooter, your point would be stronger if any DSLR could be conveniently used with an (eye/level) EVF; it puzzles me a bit that no DSLR system has offered that, at least as an accessory; maybe for video usage.

bcooter

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2018, 01:12:03 pm »

@cooter, your point would be stronger if any DSLR could be conveniently used with an (eye/level) EVF; it puzzles me a bit that no DSLR system has offered that, at least as an accessory; maybe for video usage.

Even though it's mirrorless, I mentioned that olympus has a clip on viewfinder that goes from straight to 90 degrees up.  I agree, Nikon, Canon could do this with a dslr, or make the hdmi port where you can add a secondary evf viewfinder that doesn't block out the back screen.

IMO

BC

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2018, 04:31:25 pm »

Even though it's mirrorless, I mentioned that olympus has a clip on viewfinder that goes from straight to 90 degrees up.  I agree, Nikon, Canon could do this with a dslr, or make the hdmi port where you can add a secondary evf viewfinder that doesn't block out the back screen.

IMO

BC

And I, for one, would love it if they did.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2018, 04:46:11 pm »

And I, for one, would love it if they did.

Wouldn’t it be funny if the famed Nikon mirrorless effort ended up just being an EVF gadget to plug in the hotshoe of the D850? ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2018, 10:59:33 pm »

Wouldn’t it be funny if the famed Nikon mirrorless effort ended up just being an EVF gadget to plug in the hotshoe of the D850? ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Indeed it would.

But it does get to the reason why EVFs have been such a challenge for still camera makers—a decent EVF in the video world is well over $2K.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up