Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schewe “The Digital Negative-2nd ed.”. $775?!  (Read 5036 times)

bjanes

Re: Schewe “The Digital Negative-2nd ed.”. $775?!
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2018, 06:21:40 am »

According to the Peachpit web site the book is no longer in print, which explains a high price. One Amazon reseller is offering the book new for $3345.47. It is a very good book, but anyone who pays that price is crazy. Perhaps Jeff should put out a 3rd Edition at an increased but reasonable price.

As a collector of out-of-print books in the arts/graphic arts areas, I have come to the realization that prices of these items are set by two factors: (A) dealers pricing according to what they think they can get for it, and/or (B) competitive conditions on the market if there are many copies available. The fewer the copies around the more (A) is determinative and the more copies around the more (B) is determinative. The people paying the market clearing price are not crazy - if that is what they think the book is worth to them, they'll pay it and that's a rational decision - like everything else in an open market, value is in eye of the beholder and it's not for others to pass judgment on it.

Mark,

I agree entirely with your analysis, but what I meant by crazy was why someone would buy the book for $3347 when good copies are available for $775.

Bill

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

JeanMichel

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2018, 09:24:12 am »

Page 275 of Fraser and Schewe’s Image Sharpening book (about $40.00, if I remember) helped me greatly in making sure that my files would print perfectly on press, and helped me get a fairly good reputation with pre-press folks. I kept meaning to spend another $50 or so on Schewe’s later books but never go around to it. Maybe next time I will not wait!

Now, paying hundreds of dollars for a book, wether a collector’s item or not, is not my cup of tea. However, some people will pay as much or more for a weekend workshop in order to gain a bit of knowledge. So, perhaps a $1,000 Digital Negative workshop, and get a book free? :-)

Manoli

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2018, 09:37:04 am »

... what I meant by crazy was why someone would buy the book for $3347 when good copies are available for $775.

Indeed. And why would someone spend $775, when ..

A few books available via Amazon UK and ran a quick check on EbayUK - prices range from £16 - £33.

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2018, 03:10:57 am »

Well, TDN R2 was finished just on the heals of Lightroom 6/CC2015 shipped about April 2015 but I held off finishing the book until June because I knew some stuff was due to be added to CC2015.1 (but not 6.1) like Dehaze...

So, think back on all the features added since CC2015.1 and you'll have some ideas...the big recent things was the new Effects Profiles ability. But, Thomas and Eric, Josh and Max don't stand still and some new stuff is due to appear in the near future. (and just so you know I'm not breaking any NDA's because something new is ALWAYS about to appear in the near future :~)

I will really love a 3rd Edition of the book... even digital one... and interesting to know that something is coming...

http://dgpfotografia.com

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2018, 11:30:48 pm »

Maybe we'll start soon having electronic books by subscription, with automatic content update.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up