Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Incredible shrinking canvas  (Read 1331 times)

mearussi

Incredible shrinking canvas
« on: July 17, 2018, 12:07:47 pm »

I just completed my experiment with Hahnemuhle Cezanne 100% cotton canvas, and though it looks good initially, when I coated it with a foam roller using Eco Printed Shield it shrank and buckled.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them before (it's a first for me with any canvas)?

I.T. Supplies

Re: Incredible shrinking canvas
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 10:27:41 am »

We sell it but I haven't done anything with it yet.  If you're having issues with the canvas after coating, best option would be to contact Hahnemuhle directly and their tech department can help you (hopefully resolve the issue).  815-502-5880

mearussi

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 12:15:29 pm »

We sell it but I haven't done anything with it yet.  If you're having issues with the canvas after coating, best option would be to contact Hahnemuhle directly and their tech department can help you (hopefully resolve the issue).  815-502-5880
I have, but the tech (Travis) is on the road and isn't responding to emails.

I don't know if I just got a bad sample (Carol sent me a 24" x 16' sample roll) or if this is the norm, but it's like the company that applied the coating forgot to put down a water proof barrier first before applying the inkjet receptive layer. Premier Art recommends three thin layers and when I applied the first layer the canvas just soaked it up like a sponge. And by the third layer the canvas had warped, buckled and shrank (I allowed the canvas to dry at least 30 minutes before applying the next coat).

But if you haven't tested yours out you might want to before selling them to your customers, because no one is going to be happy with this kind of performance. BTW, (what I'm assuming is) the batch # on my sample is MR 20220417082105, which if you've got any of you definitely want to check it. There's also a reference # 10 643 563

Please let me know if you find out anything.

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 12:38:46 pm »

I just completed my experiment with Hahnemuhle Cezanne 100% cotton canvas, and though it looks good initially, when I coated it with a foam roller using Eco Printed Shield it shrank and buckled.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them before (it's a first for me with any canvas)?

Same thing happens with Breathing Color Chromata White canvas, and probably every other canvas that has a cotton component. The Chromata White is a cotton/polyester blend and the cotton threads must run in the direction of the roll, since that is the only dimension that shrinks when coated. It's not an identical shrinkage each time, but pretty close to 1%, so I just stretch the image by that amount before printing.

Are there any cotton canvases out there that don't do this?
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi

mearussi

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 02:31:46 pm »

Same thing happens with Breathing Color Chromata White canvas, and probably every other canvas that has a cotton component. The Chromata White is a cotton/polyester blend and the cotton threads must run in the direction of the roll, since that is the only dimension that shrinks when coated. It's not an identical shrinkage each time, but pretty close to 1%, so I just stretch the image by that amount before printing.

Are there any cotton canvases out there that don't do this?
I've never had any canvas do this to me before. I've coated Epson matte, BC Lyve and Canson's Museum ProCanvas matte (100% cotton). This is just extreme.

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 08:27:25 pm »

I get great results on any canvas with Breathing Color Timeless Matte.  I apply with a foam roller after stretching. Piece of cake

mearussi

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 10:17:27 pm »

I get great results on any canvas with Breathing Color Timeless Matte.  I apply with a foam roller after stretching. Piece of cake
Exactly. I just like experimenting with new canvases to see what they're like. In this case not very good.

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 10:36:27 am »

You apply the varnish after stretching it? For some reason I've been applying it before stretching it. Which is more common?

Garnick

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 11:26:06 am »

You apply the varnish after stretching it? For some reason I've been applying it before stretching it. Which is more common?

I'm certain that a poll on this forum would show that the vast majority of canvas printers are coating before stretching.  I use Breathing Colour Chromata White Matte canvas, so it would be an absolute nightmare trying to stretch it before coating and avoiding abrasion marks, especially in the darker areas with MK.  I have a notice that I include with every print I make for my customers on Fine Art Matte Papers.  It states that the print must be handled with great care in order to avoid such abrasion/burnishing marks.  I do not coat those prints and it's very susceptible to such abrasions, especially in the deeper tones.

I coat the canvases with ECO Print Shield, have been doing so since 2004 with no issues.

Gary     
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 01:50:45 pm »

It makes it easier to fold the corners if it isn't varnished. Thats my reason.
Pages: [1]   Go Up