Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

n

<< < (2/3) > >>

Jeremy Roussak:
I'm perfectly happy to allow this thread to continue, but I would like to point out that I'm pretty sure it was intended when started as spam.

Jeremy

nirpat89:

--- Quote from: Jeremy Roussak on July 19, 2018, 04:19:33 am ---I'm perfectly happy to allow this thread to continue, but I would like to point out that I'm pretty sure it was intended when started as spam.

Jeremy

--- End quote ---

I really think if you suspect it was started by a spammer, you should delete the thread regardless of whether it is useful or not otherwise the spammers will think they are successful and be encouraged to spam more.

BobShaw:
I think that anyone who buys a large format printer has had to consider the question of extended warranty.
I am currently buying an Epson P800 myself and have just agonised over this also.
I decided not to get the extended warranty.
My last 3880 failed in the first year and the mother board was replaced under warranty.
It failed again about 12 months later and even though it was out of warranty Epson fixed it for free.
It took a bit to convince them but it was the same fault as the first time so it as done as a mark of good faith.

It then did not fail until it was 6 years old. So even if I took the extended warranty it would have been out of it.
I just sold the printer still working and it was 7 years old.

So I don't think it was spam and the answers would be of interest to me.

enduser:
The banner guys who make outdoor banners, roll-ups etc often take out a fully maintained lease. The contracts can include all maintenance of the machine, insurance etc.  Probably not good for businesses in the early phase of growth but often used by those who know their cash flow intimately.
The question of warranty extensions and the gamble involved doesn't come up.

NAwlins_Contrarian:

--- Quote from: tramismile32 on July 17, 2018, 08:39:42 am ---I am considering purchasing the new Epson SureColor P800 printer.
The printer comes with a one year warranty. I can purchase an additional one ($179) or two ($319) years of coverage from Epson.
Do you think this is worthwhile considering that the P800 is a new model?

--- End quote ---

IMO, generally extended warranties on small-ish electronics are very bad deals for the consumer (even if extended warranties on commercial equipment may be reasonable). Also IMO / IME, generally when products fail, they do so fairly soon after being put to use (i.e., probably during the included warranty time period) or after a relatively long useful life (i.e., probably after even the extended warranty expires).

Here specifically, what is the chance that a new P800 will not fail during the first year (included warranty), but will fail during the second year, or the second or third year? As an example, for the $179 of second warranty year to be roughly a break-even proposition, the chance of the printer going to worthless junk during its second year would have to be about 21% ($179 to replace an $845 printer). If I thought the chance was anywhere near that high--I don't--I'd skip Epson and look hard at Canon. (This analysis obviously neglects depreciation, repairs less than total replacement, whether total replacement would mean a new printer or a refurbished one, etc.)

ALSO

--- Quote ---I'm perfectly happy to allow this thread to continue, but I would like to point out that I'm pretty sure it was intended when started as spam.
--- End quote ---

Was there something in the original post that you thought was spammy, that you deleted? Because I don't see any indicia of spamminess there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version