Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Palouse area, Washington  (Read 2022 times)

JohnTrammell

Palouse area, Washington
« on: July 16, 2018, 04:10:37 PM »

I used to pass through Palouse country during the film era. Nice place to photograph, and I made some slides, but never have digitized any of them.

I just viewed Scott's video and the still photos, and enjoyed both. However, I should tell him that the terrain is NOT a moraine. The soil that makes the area so fertile developed on dust blown from melting glaciers to the north.

John Trammell, Geologist

aderickson

Re: Palouse area, Washington
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 05:42:09 PM »

I was taught in geology class 40 years ago that the term for this feature is loess.

Allan

David Hufford

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 05:26:31 AM »

Loess would be it. Parts of China are also rich in non-glacial loess, the "yellow sand" (aka PM 2.5) that so plagues South Korea as well as Tokyo at times..

I went to university at Pullman and for a while lived in Colfax. Colfax was one of those places that was nice to pass through quickly on the way from Spokane to Pullman, but not a place one would want to live.

I think I may have some photos from the area back home, but at the time I was not at all interested in the Palouse. I much, much preferred the mountains of northeast Washington, of Idaho, and of Montana. Wheat fields, not being my idea of natural then or now (and I live in Tokyo, the least natural place one can imagine), were not interesting to me. But to Japanese students it was fascinating. I could never figure out why.

However, nowadays, as I sit in an environment of mostly concrete and people, when I look at photos of the area, I wonder what I missed. I only wish I had the time and money to go on one of these workshops to figure out what I missed. I am quite sad to read, as I recall Kevin posted last year, that there are now so many photographers that landowners have become a bit less tolerant of them. Folks ought not have to be told to respect the people who live there.
*Never fall in love with anything that c

Kevin Raber

• Administrator
  • Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 12:24:57 PM »

David, what you mention is happening everywhere.  I did not do a workshop in Iceland this year as I know also a number of other regular workshop providers did the same things.  The tourists are out of control there.  Areas that never had rope boundaries and were free to roam are now roped off.  Small parking lots at falls are now big and filled with tourist buses as well as souvenir shops and hot dog vendors.  Traffic is bad.  Lots of buses and the list goes on.  there are places you can escape but even some of the remote places I know of are no longer secrets.  I have some ideas for Iceland workshops in the future that will bypass the madness and go for the more interesting hard to get to places pus some aerial shooting.

The Palouse the same way.  There a lot of workshops out there.  Used to be maybe one or two.  A lot of these workshops operate in caravan mode with numerous cars following the leader.  LuLa works with one suburban 4wd vehicle and we can go places others can't.  Plus over the years I have made friends with a number of the locals. I do Ok in the Palouse because we are small and nimble.  Also, everything is included but the airfare to get there.  I think our video shows to possibilities that are there for those that like landscape photography. 

The issue with the Palouse happened a few years ago when the chamber of commerce put a big push on the region.  they had a map with all the locations to stop.  Many inconsiderate photographers as well as tourists were trespassing and trampling fields.    There was one photo group that thought it was OK to go into a farmers fiend with models, lights, reflectors and his class without asking.  The sheirif came and handled that person. The Chamber of commerce has since reprinted the maps without stopping points. 

I have found that the farmers in the Palouse are some of nicest people you meet.  They have been glad over the years to help us out.  But, we ask.  That's the key.  The Palouse is a very large area and I have years of experience regarding good place togo.  And, I am always discovering new places.

Over the next few weeks I'll be launching a Greenland 2019 trip with Art Wolfe, An Antarctica 2020 trip with Art Wolfe, Palouse Sumer and Harvest 2019.  Also we have a Japan workshop next winter that will be a great photo trip.
Kevin Raber
Publisher - luminous-landscape.com
[email protected]
Pages: [1]   Go Up