Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Partitioning and Naming Drives  (Read 1399 times)

Andres Bonilla

Partitioning and Naming Drives
« on: July 14, 2018, 07:10:15 pm »

I just got back my computer, they installed a new SSD Drive. The only thing was that, according to them because the way the drives and the mobo was set up, now my C: Drive is my G:Drive and my C:Drive is my old SSD Drive, something to do with the CMOS. Is this correct? Is kind of weird to have my operating system on the G:Drive. Does it matter? Windows 10.

Thanks

Farmer

Re: Partitioning and Naming Drives
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 08:30:44 pm »

They were very lazy.

The should have disconnected your old boot drive and then installed Windows on the new one (either fresh or as a restore, having made a backup of your old one or just by mirroring it over first).  The old C drive, when connected after the new one was in and booting, could have been re-assigned to a different letter.

It doesn't matter *most* of the time, but there are a few things that blindly go searching for c:\ but hopefully you won't come across any.

If you paid someone to do this, I'd be asking them to fix it.  It has nothing to do with your BIOS.
Phil Brown

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 10:03:28 pm »

They were very lazy.

Sloppy as well, by the sound of it.
Last week I had to use a boot manager restore program for Windows 7, and it renamed all my drives in the process.
You should be able to fix your problem as I did by going to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management.
Rename the C drive to something, anything, and then rename your G drive to C. You may need to mark it as active.
If that doesn't easily work then there may be something else going on.
David

Joe Towner

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 12:04:58 am »

Have you done anything that would have added data to the new SSD?  It needs to go back and they need to do a proper imaging of it from one drive to another.

What brand of ssd did you purchase?  A lot come with their own cloning software so that you could do it yourself, but you did pay someone to do it, so they should do it right.
t: @PNWMF

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 02:08:18 am »

I only had a few GIGS left on my SSD Drive so I purchased a Samsung SSD drive and they installed a new copy of Windows 10, I had Windows 7. I have not reinstalled anything, I am going from CS6 to the CC. Maybe new software will be fine but I am a little worried about older stuff. My friend told me " No matter. C is traditional but any drive can be the active boot drive." Still is part of a yearly service I pay. I thought it was kind of sloppy.

Joe Towner

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 03:54:59 pm »

If you're doing a clean install of Win10, you should have recovery media and can do a clean install yourself.  Step 1 is to pull the 128gb drive out, do the Win10 install and add the 128gb drive in later.  If you're 'upgrading' to Win10, do a clean imaging of the 128gb to the 500gb, then upgrade the 500gb.

You never know the drive lettering is an issue until it is.  Dealing with it now is much better than later.
t: @PNWMF

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 06:09:06 pm »

You never know the drive lettering is an issue until it is.  Dealing with it now is much better than later.

Good advice.

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 01:58:43 pm »

I only had a few GIGS left on my SSD Drive so I purchased a Samsung SSD drive and they installed a new copy of Windows 10, I had Windows 7. I have not reinstalled anything, I am going from CS6 to the CC. Maybe new software will be fine but I am a little worried about older stuff. My friend told me " No matter. C is traditional but any drive can be the active boot drive." Still is part of a yearly service I pay. I thought it was kind of sloppy.

As a few people pointed out -- sloppy AND lazy. However, all is not lost, as long as you can boot into the system. I had a little bit of a hard time figuring out if the original SSD is in the computer still or not. You can easily reassign drive letters and boot from your new SSD with just a little work in the BIOS (directing the system to which drive is the boot drive -- my BIOS allows up to 4 drives to search for boot order), and using Window's Disk Managment utility (where you assign the actual letter). I'm happy to help walk you through, but if you paid these @holes to migrate your computer to a new SSD, then it is their responsibility. If they refuse, take it up with your credit card company and have them stop the charge or dispute it. That will get the computer nerds attention. (Obviously, tell them first to fix, and if they refuse, then tell them what you plan to do.)

It's honestly NOT a difficult operation. I usually build my own computers. My latest (an AMD Ryzen 1800x) was actually purchased since my old computer unexpectedly bit the dust. It has a standard 500GB Sandisk SSD for the C: drive and I decided I wanted a Samsung m.2 970 Pro. I cloned it, changed things in both disk utilities and the BIOS and I was ready to go. Not rocket science. The only caveat is changing the C: drive or CPU makes some programs think you have a new computer. PITA

Good luck.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 06:06:17 pm »

I agree it was lazy/sloppy (former IT guy here). I also agree you should fix it now rather than have a bigger mess later.
If you rt-click on your start menu and select Disk Management you get to an interface that should allow you to fix it, although you can also do some damage here so proceed with caution.
The disks will be numbered, starting with 0 and then for each disk you can see any partitions and what drive letters are assigned to what partitions.
It sounds like you need to find your old C: drive, rt-click and select Change Drive Letters and Paths...
From there you can remove the C: assignment and then add another available letter. G will not be available yet because it is already assigned to your new SSD.
Now that C: is freed up, you can assign that to your new drive via the same method and remove G. Then if you want you could go back to the old drive and change it's letter to G if that is what you want.

Don;t do this without a current backup, just in case. There might be undesirable side effects and you might need to revert. If there are a lot of things looking for their files on G: that are now on C: instead, you may need to reinstall some applications and possibly Windows to get it all working right.
-MattB

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 06:09:33 pm »

As a few people pointed out -- sloppy AND lazy. However, all is not lost, as long as you can boot into the system. I had a little bit of a hard time figuring out if the original SSD is in the computer still or not. You can easily reassign drive letters and boot from your new SSD with just a little work in the BIOS (directing the system to which drive is the boot drive -- my BIOS allows up to 4 drives to search for boot order), and using Window's Disk Managment utility (where you assign the actual letter). I'm happy to help walk you through, but if you paid these @holes to migrate your computer to a new SSD, then it is their responsibility. If they refuse, take it up with your credit card company and have them stop the charge or dispute it. That will get the computer nerds attention. (Obviously, tell them first to fix, and if they refuse, then tell them what you plan to do.)

It's honestly NOT a difficult operation. I usually build my own computers. My latest (an AMD Ryzen 1800x) was actually purchased since my old computer unexpectedly bit the dust. It has a standard 500GB Sandisk SSD for the C: drive and I decided I wanted a Samsung m.2 970 Pro. I cloned it, changed things in both disk utilities and the BIOS and I was ready to go. Not rocket science. The only caveat is changing the C: drive or CPU makes some programs think you have a new computer. PITA

Good luck.

Since he went from Win7 to Win10, I don't think they are doing it as an image, it sounds like a clean install and migration.
I think this can all be done outside of BIOS as long as it is booting from the right drive now.l
-MattB

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 01:16:21 pm »

Hello guys! Thank you for all the information, I had to go to Miami for work, I returned my computer and told them to do it right; as it is computing sometimes could be easily disrupted, I need to start with a clean slate instead of re assigning and making it work. As it is my trusted printer is an Epson R1900 and someone told me to make sure it would work with Windows 10. I am going to pick it up tomorrow, hopefully everything will be ok.
Pages: [1]   Go Up