Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Question(s) on Epson 7570  (Read 749 times)

samogitian

Newbie Question(s) on Epson 7570
« on: January 04, 2022, 12:28:11 pm »

I'm new to the world of Epson large format photo printers, having just purchased and installed a SCP-7570.

I've noticed that with black enhance overcoat on, the top margin is quite wide (I am printing with roll paper). I'd like to experiment with minimizing it and have seen reference to a "Minimize Top Margin" setting in Epson Print Layout, but that doesn't appear in my app. Or is that only with cut sheets?

Any ideas?

That said, I got a little schmear on the leading edge when I switched to Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique II so I'm going to keep that leading edge for now.

PS

I expect there will be more so I figured it better to create a broader thread.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 03:10:18 pm by samogitian »

samogitian

Re: Newbie Question(s) on Epson 7570
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 03:29:21 pm »

Next two questions (since I half answered my last one):

1. I have a SC-P900 as well. For those of you who have both printers, how do you balance their use? Obviously anything 8 1/1 x 11 or A4 size is ridiculous to print on the P7570. But what about 17" wide prints? I can get 50' rolls of 17" paper for the same price as 17 x 22" sheets so it's roughly identical but the P7570 gives me two additional prints and while cartridges cost more, they will cost less in the long term. Print resolution on the P900 is 5760 x 1440 dpi vs the P7570 which has 2400 x 1200 dpi, but even I'm not really sure what those lopsided numbers really mean in this day and age.

2. If I do 17" as well as 22" prints, I'll be using multiple rolls on the printer. I noticed that the printer automatically stamps the amount of paper left on the roll when you take it out. Cool! (Although I entered the wrong amount on the one I took out and now have to figure out how to reset that). Any thoughts on managing multiple rolls? Anybody buy a second set of inserts from Epson? Strangely, these are discontinued. https://epson.com/Accessories/Printer-Accessories/Additional-Roll-Media-Adapters---Pair-C12C935931/p/C12C935931 If I only have two rolls, it strikes me as safer (and a bit faster) to have an extra set and just remove the paper, rollers and all.

Rand47

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 09:08:53 pm »

I'm new to the world of Epson large format photo printers, having just purchased and installed a SCP-7570.

I've noticed that with black enhance overcoat on, the top margin is quite wide (I am printing with roll paper). I'd like to experiment with minimizing it and have seen reference to a "Minimize Top Margin" setting in Epson Print Layout, but that doesn't appear in my app. Or is that only with cut sheets?

Any ideas?

That said, I got a little schmear on the leading edge when I switched to Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique II so I'm going to keep that leading edge for now.

PS

I’m stretching my memory here (not in front of my computer at the  moment), but I think there’s a “minimize top margin” (MTM) check box whether you’re using Enhance Black Overcoat on cut sheets OR rolls.   And, always remember that “top margin” ALWAYS means “leading edge of paper,”  not “top” as in “top of image on the paper.”  When using sheets, you “must” check the MTM or the printer will offset the image no matter what margins you have set in LrC, PS, or Epson Print Layout.  This will almost always cause your image to be cut off on the trailing edge - sometimes by a small enough amount you won’t realize it until it dawns on you that “something isn’t right here!”  This drove me stark raving nuts in the beginning, as there’s nothing about it in the manual.  Once figured out, it’s no big deal. The manual leaves a lot do be desired.

As an aside, I’ve discovered that while roll paper is less expensive per sq. in. the wastage is HUGE compared to cut sheets.  So, I’ve quit worrying about some excess leading edge.  If I have to mail a roll paper print to a client (often) that excess leading edge gives me some handling room, whether I roll the print in glassine to mail or take to the framer.  And here is a BIG DEAL — keep CAREFUL track of the “inches used” on every roll.   I use a spread sheet to do this.  And always realize that you’re at the “practical end of the roll” even though there is paper left “at the end” - BECAUSE - the amount of paper from the core to the printhead is worthless.  I had “enough paper” left on one roll and even with a roll of genuine Epson Legacy Baryta, it ended up ripping the paper off the core and dragging three pieces of masking tape through the feed rollers and making a heck of a racket and a mess.  Tape all tangled up in the rollers just above the print head.  Took me 3 hours with jewelers tools, a very fine exacto knife and a shop vac to get all the debris out of the printer.  I dodged a bullet because it could have really damaged things in there.  There’s nothing in the printer manual that warns you that this can happen - even with Epson’s own papers.  So, now when I load a roll, and put the “total inches” into my spread sheet upon loading, I automatically deduct about 28” to give me a safety margin so that I not ever do that again.  When my spreadsheet count gets to “zero” I remove the roll and make cut sheets from that small remainder.  It’s a pain in the butt but better than  destroying the printer.

Having said all this, once you get the hang of Epson Media Installer, the quirks of Enhance Black Overcoat, and the other oddities of this large format printer, it is a superb machine.  Epson could have done a  much better job with their printer manual, frankly it is very poorly written and missing some critically important information.  I bought the printer when it was first released and have spent a lot of hours on the phone with Epson tech support, sometimes teaching them about their own printer.  But I love the thing now and it is now a reliable and splendid machine.

Rand
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 09:13:47 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

mearussi

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 01:43:41 am »

Any ideas?

PS

Are you wanting the printer to cut your print exactly so there's no white leading edge? Are you printing borderless or with a white border? 

jsephoto

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 06:04:47 am »

Hi

Thank you for posting this response. I unfortunately have had the same horrible experience and I don’t want to go through it ever again . The  tape fixing the paper to the roll was the full width of the roll 61cm and this was sucked into the machine and wrapped around the roller feed. Took three hours to remove it using pliers, surgical knife ,scraper and prayers .

Now when it gets to a metre of paper left I remove the roll take the tape off and roll the paper back on . Cheers jon

quote author=Rand47 link=topic=139956.msg1232577#msg1232577 date=1641348533]
I’m stretching my memory here (not in front of my computer at the  moment), but I think there’s a “minimize top margin” (MTM) check box whether you’re using Enhance Black Overcoat on cut sheets OR rolls.   And, always remember that “top margin” ALWAYS means “leading edge of paper,”  not “top” as in “top of image on the paper.”  When using sheets, you “must” check the MTM or the printer will offset the image no matter what margins you have set in LrC, PS, or Epson Print Layout.  This will almost always cause your image to be cut off on the trailing edge - sometimes by a small enough amount you won’t realize it until it dawns on you that “something isn’t right here!”  This drove me stark raving nuts in the beginning, as there’s nothing about it in the manual.  Once figured out, it’s no big deal. The manual leaves a lot do be desired.

As an aside, I’ve discovered that while roll paper is less expensive per sq. in. the wastage is HUGE compared to cut sheets.  So, I’ve quit worrying about some excess leading edge.  If I have to mail a roll paper print to a client (often) that excess leading edge gives me some handling room, whether I roll the print in glassine to mail or take to the framer.  And here is a BIG DEAL — keep CAREFUL track of the “inches used” on every roll.   I use a spread sheet to do this.  And always realize that you’re at the “practical end of the roll” even though there is paper left “at the end” - BECAUSE - the amount of paper from the core to the printhead is worthless.  I had “enough paper” left on one roll and even with a roll of genuine Epson Legacy Baryta, it ended up ripping the paper off the core and dragging three pieces of masking tape through the feed rollers and making a heck of a racket and a mess.  Tape all tangled up in the rollers just above the print head.  Took me 3 hours with jewelers tools, a very fine exacto knife and a shop vac to get all the debris out of the printer.  I dodged a bullet because it could have really damaged things in there.  There’s nothing in the printer manual that warns you that this can happen - even with Epson’s own papers.  So, now when I load a roll, and put the “total inches” into my spread sheet upon loading, I automatically deduct about 28” to give me a safety margin so that I not ever do that again.  When my spreadsheet count gets to “zero” I remove the roll and make cut sheets from that small remainder.  It’s a pain in the butt but better than  destroying the printer.

Having said all this, once you get the hang of Epson Media Installer, the quirks of Enhance Black Overcoat, and the other oddities of this large format printer, it is a superb machine.  Epson could have done a  much better job with their printer manual, frankly it is very poorly written and missing some critically important information.  I bought the printer when it was first released and have spent a lot of hours on the phone with Epson tech support, sometimes teaching them about their own printer.  But I love the thing now and it is now a reliable and splendid machine.

Rand
[/quote]

samogitian

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 10:56:05 am »

It really seems like that is the paper manufacturer's fault. There should be a better way of dealing with attaching paper.

On my first roll, I input the wrong amount (metric conversion is an an annoying chore). I guess I can just cut off the leading edge and estimate how much I used? So annoying.

jsephoto

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 01:49:23 pm »

On some rolls there is minimal tape attached perhaps 3/4 pieces to the core which is far better than a full strip. However, when I contacted Epson when the jam occurred the advice is to pull it out.

I would have hoped it was possible to forward the rollers slowly bit by bit to expel the paper or even reverse it but I don’t think this is possible. For such an expensive machine this seems a major flaw . I can never recall this issue with the HP z3200

Jon

quote author=samogitian link=topic=139956.msg1233262#msg1233262 date=1642002965]
It really seems like that is the paper manufacturer's fault. There should be a better way of dealing with attaching paper.

On my first roll, I input the wrong amount (metric conversion is an an annoying chore). I guess I can just cut off the leading edge and estimate how much I used? So annoying.
[/quote]

mearussi

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 09:04:04 pm »

I just watch for it and use an xacto knife to cut the tape.
Pages: [1]   Go Up