Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

Fuji S5 wowes....

(1/3) > >>

indianavince:
I have been holding onto my Nikon gear and mostly happy with the Fuji S2 and S3 I have used (heavily) for some 4.5 years.  I was really banking that Fuji would come out with a "larger chip" if not a full frame chip.  I am 40 and looking though the "small" viewfinders is getting harder each year.  I pine to use a Digital F100... but the "Nikon" mount camp does not get it.

I ordered a Aptus 17 refurb for my Hasselblad to take it easy on my eyes... but I am still waiting for that, and am wonding now that the Fuji S5 specs. are on the table if I should just switch to Full Frame Canons CMOS and all.

I do mostly commercial work and very high quality portraits... some of it still on film when it really matters. Have an Imacon scanner to scan film.

Advice or thoughts???

bob mccarthy:
Nikon made a major improvement in the viewfinder starting with the D2x and continuing on with the D200 and D80. Fuji still uses the old body with the S2 and S3. I believe the S5 is based upon the newer d200 frame. You should be much happier with the new camera if you're a Fuji fan.

I have a D2x, a D70 and F5's in Nikon. I refuse to use the D70 and hand it off when someone wants to borrow a camera. Tunnel vision, whether Nikon, Canon or other is a real detriment to good composure. It actually bothers my eyes to look through the tunnel. Far worse than looking through the Leica with the reduced size frameline for longer lenses.

75% of my work is with a 4x5 with Linhof Right angle viewer with fresnel. Now that's what i call a finder screen.

bob

indianavince:
Thanks I'll take another look at the D200 viewer.  I still offer it is nothing compared to the  old F100 I have collecting dust.  It would have been an absolute coup if Fuji had made a larger chip (80-90% 35mm or just went full frame.  I wouldn't have cared if it were only a 12MP chip for even $3000.  They blew it!  I WANT A BIG FULL FRAME CHIP!!! IN A NIKON MOUNT>>> ANYONE LISTENING?

I want the larger view so much I am still paitently waiting for my LEAF Aptus 17!

BJL:
The D200 VF magnification is 0.94x at 50mm, a lot better than in the previous Fuji DSLR's. Allowing for the  format factor of 1.5x, the VF image should be about as big as with 0.62x in 35mm format. Comparing that to the 0.72x of all current 35mm format DSLR's (i.e., Canon's two models), and you get a VF image of about 14% less height and width.

Fuji's sensor is actually a bit smaller than Nikon's sensors, so the situation is slightly worse: the Nikon D200 and various Pentax models like the K10D (0.95x mag.) lead the pack for VF image size in sub-35mm DSLR formats.

indianavince:
You are right... the D200 is a better finder.  Now I will wait for the S5 version with the "fuji film" supply!

P.S.  Regarding my post in the Medium Format side... I got the call just moments ago from Helix in Chicago that my Leaf Aptus 17 is IN! I am excited to use the Hasselblad again, lens conversion or not!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version