Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5D & 24-105mm lens kit  (Read 3561 times)

clarkee

• http://
Canon 5D & 24-105mm lens kit
« on: October 05, 2006, 11:13:57 am »

I have just purchased a 5d & 24-105 lens kit, along with the 580ex, battery grip & 4 2gb lexar X133 cards.

This is my first professional digital camera - so needless to say, im a bit confused with the many, many options I have with it.

I shoot portraiture, documentary and some still life.
I have access to a fully equipped studio, with bron flash equipment.

Basically im looking for any tips!

I know this is a broad request, but there is a lot to cover.
So i thought any experienced users could tip me off on what I should be concerned with to start.

Thanks in advance for any advice and info.
clarkee

gochugogi

• http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 12:03:04 am »

F8 and be there!

My copy of the 24-105 4L is extremely sharp wide open at F4--bests my 50 1.4 USM at the same aperture. Oddly it doesn't improve much when stopped down. No biggie as it's sharp by any standards.

I find the rig--5D, grip and 24-104 L--to be on the heavy side for walking around all day. I've been hitting the gym just so I can tote my gear without feelinhg like a whimpy photogeek yuppie puppy.
[span style='font-family:Impact']I'm try

johnvr

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 02:10:44 pm »

I have just purchased a 5d & 24-105 lens kit, along with the 580ex, battery grip & 4 2gb lexar X133 cards.

This is my first professional digital camera - so needless to say, im a bit confused with the many, many options I have with it.

I shoot portraiture, documentary and some still life.
I have access to a fully equipped studio, with bron flash equipment.

Basically im looking for any tips!

I know this is a broad request, but there is a lot to cover.
So i thought any experienced users could tip me off on what I should be concerned with to start.

Thanks in advance for any advice and info.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79198\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Start with the default settings and then start playing around with it. Only you can learn what you like and don't like.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 02:12:21 pm by johnvr »

marcmccalmont

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 05:13:22 pm »

You will be very happy with your purchase! it is a great camera. I use my 24-105is 90% of the time, the 70-200is 10%, the 50mm not at all. I always shoot RAW + large Jpeg. If you record the Jpeg accurately you will have fewer adjustments to make during the raw conversion. I found the Jpeg picture style; Standard (4,0,2,-1) to be most accurate. The sensor can capture such a wide gamut of colors, set the color space to Adobe rgb. During raw conversion Adobe rgb is good for most scenes but sunsets etc need more, prophoto. I use 2, 4 gb CF cards because one full card fits on a single side of a DVD for archiving. The 4, 2 gb cards might be more akward if you are planing to archive on DVD's. As far as raw converters I am a fan of DXO optics. I have tried many and keep returning to DXO as the most accurate, realistic and pleasing output. The 24-105 has a fair amount of vignetting at 24mm. DXO takes care of that. It is $300 but there is a free 30 day download and a $60 discount at the end of your trial. So $1200 for a lens and only $240 to significantly improve it and others seems to me like a bargain. If you decide to try it my initial settings are lens sharpness: .50, DXO lighting: medium and in the noise settings: retain fine details 90%
Enjoy
Marc
Marc McCalmont
Pages: [1]   Go Up