Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Street Art 2  (Read 26849 times)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
Re: Street Art 2
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2018, 01:26:59 pm »

I'd say so, yes. Otherwise, it's just for showing off, which while gratifying is ultimately rather pointless.

Jeremy

Just for sharing - as with the popular WP threads - could be a kinder interpretation of other's motivation.

Rob C

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2018, 02:06:33 pm »

Just for sharing - as with the popular WP threads - could be a kinder interpretation of other's motivation.

Thank you!

:-)

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2018, 02:45:04 pm »

On family vacations in the past, my wife & kids were always content to go back to the hotel after dinner and either watch TV or play on their computer.  I saw this as a wasted opportunity (and still do.)  I figure I paid a lot of money to be somewhere and it's novelty strongly calls to me!  So, I began taking photos at night.

I could kick myself for the opportunities I've missed to photograph the night markets during trips to visit my wife's family in Taipei and Singapore.  I would have needed a fast ultrawide lens, though, because they're densely packed with people and dimly lit.  Pike Place is Seattle comes as close to them as anything I've seen here in the States.

Rob C

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2018, 03:02:16 pm »

Literalism:

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 06:48:14 am by Rob C »

Two23

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2018, 04:14:44 pm »

I could kick myself for the opportunities I've missed to photograph the night markets during trips to visit my wife's family in Taipei and Singapore.  I would have needed a fast ultrawide lens, though, because they're densely packed with people and dimly lit.  Pike Place is Seattle comes as close to them as anything I've seen here in the States.

There's also Richmond Night Market in Vancouver, Canada.  It was teeming with people and had hundreds of small booths selling everything from food to candy.  The place was alive!  I came across a couple of girls who were wearing pointy ears that supposedly moved with their emotions.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Telecaster

« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2018, 04:19:51 pm »

Apart from the business of finding a subject that intrigues you, there's another matter: do you ever feel any sense of guilt about leaving all that good photographic equipment lying unused?

I think of myself as just the current caretaker of the meaningful stuff I "own." I've arranged for it all to be dispersed properly after I'm gone too. This fits right in with my "explore all the available options" approach to the various activities I enjoy.

-Dave-

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2018, 04:22:56 pm »

Never a problem for me with four sons, eight grandsons, and six granddaughters, a few of which are avid photographers. There's a lineup for my castoffs.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Telecaster

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2018, 04:37:16 pm »

I've never done much nighttime photography, except in NYC back when I spent lotsa time there, but I love nighttime video. On my first visit to Singapore, mid 1990s, I bought a small Hi8 camcorder and wandered all over the city center at night with it. Many hours of footage, later digitized & edited…though I should redo that given tech improvements over the past few years.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2018, 05:11:40 pm »

I've never done much nighttime photography, except in NYC back when I spent lotsa time there, but I love nighttime video. On my first visit to Singapore, mid 1990s, I bought a small Hi8 camcorder and wandered all over the city center at night with it. Many hours of footage, later digitized & edited…though I should redo that given tech improvements over the past few years.

-Dave-

Was in Singapore in '84 for part of my last Tennents Lager calendar; they had several good ideas going: no chewing gum; tipping discouraged in the hotels we visited; great Chinese Chablis (figure that one out) and fantastic prawns. Raffles was a wasted visit - atmosphere of an old Indian railway station and the most stupidly (for the buyer) priced cocktail of them all: the eponymous "Sling".

I gather the hotel has had makeovers since. There was an open eatery market where you could find nice food at night; I can't remember it's name, but I think it had a very English-sounding one, whatever that was. Wellington comes to mind, but that is not what I think it really is called.

As for the shoot - the horizon was impossible: oil tankers edge-to-edge. But the Japanese or Chinese Gardens gave us a couple of shots. Long flight for not much, but those national airline hostesses were every bit as beautiful as any of the models we got to use on any leg of the gig.

Oh, almost forgot: you could buy jeans that went up (or down, obviously) in size by the inch, not the miserable too tight/too loose two-inches options I find with Levi today.

Telecaster

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2018, 05:21:14 pm »

Rob, yes, the Raffles was refurbed in the late '80s. And is currently being completely overhauled again. And I believe you're thinking of the food court at Piccadilly Circus.

(I think we discussed this some years ago too.  :D )

-Dave-

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2018, 05:29:19 pm »

Rob, Levi jeans are available in inch increments online and in some outlets in the UK.

From Mr 32" or 33".

;-)

Rob C

« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2018, 03:39:40 am »

Rob, yes, the Raffles was refurbed in the late '80s. And is currently being completely overhauled again. And I believe you're thinking of the food court at Piccadilly Circus.

(I think we discussed this some years ago too.  :D )

-Dave-

The name sounds about right - English enough for the feeling it gave me - though I couldn't swear to it!

You may also be right about the déjà vu: that's one of the problems of online conversation because in "real life" the other person in the conversation would chirp up and say yes, I know, we spoke about that... thus saving the repetition.

Ah, the goode olde days!

;-)

Rob C

« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2018, 03:55:23 am »

Rob, Levi jeans are available in inch increments online and in some outlets in the UK.

From Mr 32" or 33".

;-)

There you go: third world islands. Of course, they're kept that way to pleasure the short-haul tourist and let him think he hit Bora Bora!

Online? Jeans? They seldom fit as per the nominal numbers, and Levi now makes so many different styles and tones that I'd be hard-pressed to know what to order. I'd have to suck 'em and try 'em and inevitably post 'em back whence they'd come! Almost as dodgy as that mail-order bride from Hong Kong!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 06:48:46 am by Rob C »

Rayyan

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2018, 04:17:29 am »

+1.

Else it is all talk and no show.
Don’t tell me theories n rattle of names....show me your work, how you approached n did it.

I will learn.

p.s. libraries, books..I can go to or purchase. Not come here to read and supposedly be impressed by well known ( and not so well known ) artists’ works.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 04:22:34 am by Rayyan »

Rayyan

« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2018, 04:24:39 am »

Metric system is how I understand the world  ;)

From Mr 32" or 33".

;-)

Rob C

« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2018, 05:37:00 am »

Metric system is how I understand the world  ;)

So does Spain, but nonetheless, their Levi products are in the olde worlde inches.

Tradition, as in the Marlboro Cowboy etc.

;-)

Rob C

« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2018, 05:46:40 am »

+1.

Else it is all talk and no show.
Don’t tell me theories n rattle of names....show me your work, how you approached n did it.

I will learn.

p.s. libraries, books..I can go to or purchase. Not come here to read and supposedly be impressed by well known ( and not so well known ) artists’ works.

No wish to offend your sensibilities, nor even your nobleness of purpose, but here's a little list of some lesser-knowns (to the general public) who do/did good street photography:

Séeberger; René-Jaques; Izis; André Martin; Janine Niepce; Sabine Weiss; Eduard Boubat; Martine Franck; Jean-Phillipe Charbonnier and Louis Stettner - another of those American artists in Paris.

Some of the above are not unknown at all, simply not picked up on the usual radar scan, so they may be new to some readers here. If so, then that's my good deed for the day, and I can now relax and revert to my norm.

;-)

Rob

Rayyan

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2018, 06:20:18 am »

Nothing offends my sensibilities. And my purpose is no more/less noble than yours.

And like you said, who gives a shit.

No wish to offend your sensibilities, nor even your nobleness of purpose, but here's a little list of some lesser-knowns (to the general public) who do/did good street photography:

Séeberger; René-Jaques; Izis; André Martin; Janine Niepce; Sabine Weiss; Eduard Boubat; Martine Franck; Jean-Phillipe Charbonnier and Louis Stettner - another of those American artists in Paris.

Some of the above are not unknown at all, simply not picked up on the usual radar scan, so they may be new to some readers here. If so, then that's my good deed for the day, and I can now relax and revert to my norm.

;-)

Rob

Rayyan

« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2018, 06:39:22 am »

Who gives a shit.

So does Spain, but nonetheless, their Levi products are in the olde worlde inches.

Tradition, as in the Marlboro Cowboy etc.

;-)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2018, 08:00:00 am »

I was asked for my view; I gave it. I think that any photograph posted here (by which I mean in any forum area) which isn't "not for comment", either expressly or, by being posted in the "without prejudice" thread, impliedly is fair game for sensible, rational and preferably constructive comment.

Jeremy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up