Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Harry Benson  (Read 1471 times)

Cornfield

Harry Benson
« on: May 20, 2018, 05:13:05 pm »

I had the honour of shooting the opening of the legendary Harry Benson's exhibition at Pollok House in his home city of Glasgow.  He is a wonderfully charismatic character and was in great form laughing and joking with all present.  The exhibition is worth a visit if you are in Glasgow.

Rob C

Re: Harry Benson
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 05:51:30 pm »

P. House.

Shot quite a lot of fashion there; used to be a drag in that you had to contact two different authorities for permissions: one lot for using the interiors and yet another for the grounds.

They used to have a nice little restaurant down there; did a shoot along the lines of Hudson's Pantry with all the polished copper cooking utensils up on the wall. Memories. Then, the last time we went there they had changed the menu to crappy, quick and cheap junk food.

Even better was the open space just before you got into the car park of the building: in the right season, it was a mass of daffodils amongst the trees. Used that area too. You make me homesick! Oddly, you couldn't get back out the way you got in: had to make a great detour and leave by another road entirely. I may be getting muddled up a bit, but I seem to remember it took you near the art gallery that was built - the Burrell or something like that. I think it is being re-conditioned, refurbished?

Glasgow city fathers seemed to have a thing against Benson; they denied him public acclaim for a very long time, the miserable sods. Like the one who got away... Now I don't feel homesick anymore. :-)

Rob

P.S.

Below is a shot from that space just before the entrance to P. Ho. (Hassy 500 C and 150 Sonnar.)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 06:09:47 pm by Rob C »

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 12:27:51 pm »

Besides all the Beatles and celebrity photos Harry Benson made, there was the fantastic photo he took of President Nixon's Attorney General John Mitchell, surrounded by his lawyers, celebrating his acquittal from the Watergate indictment. I wonder if that kind of unguarded moment is possible in today's increasingly paranoid and polarized politics. Doubt it.

Happy to see him still around.

http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0112/hb16.htm

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 12:50:14 pm »

One of his smartest moves was to insist on owning his copyright at all times - a very gutsy stand back in the day! One of the really few canny Scots of myth!

Cornfield

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 05:42:51 pm »

A few more pics from the opening. 

My daughter has been the property manager at Pollok House for the last few years and creating the gallery space was a priority for her.  She worked hard to secure such a great exhibition of work by a true Glaswegian hero for the first event.

You can see Harry is a real joker even with his deadpan expression.  Saying "no photos please" with the Presiding Officer of the Scottish Parliament.  Also with the actor John Hannah as he was leaving.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 05:17:17 am »

Cornfield,

That's interesting about your daughter: could you ask her, please, what the photography permissions procedure is today?

I enclose another shot made in P.Ho., this one was in one of the two small huts/outhouses near the steps leading down towards the lower grounds. Looking downhill, I think it was in the one on the right.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 05:22:49 am by Rob C »

Cornfield

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 11:31:40 am »

Hi Rob

Contact details for filming and photo shoots are on this page https://www.nts.org.uk/filming-photoshoots

The situation at Pollok House is different in that the building is owned by the City council and managed by the NTS.  This causes problems for all involved.  My daughter had to deal with major maintenance and renovation project that lasted over a year and the chain of command was lost!  The entire collection of books and paintings were removed to secure storage during the work.  It was a difficult time for all involved.

My daughter has just been promoted to a regional position where she oversees the running of all NTS properties in the Glasgow area.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 12:14:09 pm »

Hi Rob

Contact details for filming and photo shoots are on this page https://www.nts.org.uk/filming-photoshoots

The situation at Pollok House is different in that the building is owned by the City council and managed by the NTS.  This causes problems for all involved.  My daughter had to deal with major maintenance and renovation project that lasted over a year and the chain of command was lost!  The entire collection of books and paintings were removed to secure storage during the work.  It was a difficult time for all involved.

My daughter has just been promoted to a regional position where she oversees the running of all NTS properties in the Glasgow area.

Hi!

Thank you for the link provided.

I remember the confusion of permits quite well; the daft thing was that the folks in Pollok House were all as helpful as you could wish, but there was this administrative barrier between that had to be climbed first.

After, I think, the first episode, I just got permission to work within the building and then winged it on the outside.

The colour shot I posted is from a calendar I did for Barbour Threads; the other picture was for Bus Stop, one of the many boutiques that flourished during the 70s. I can remember shooting a brochure for Goldbergs there, too... how companies come and go! A good place for nostalgic themes, also quite cooperative, used to be the original Tram Museum. Glasgow really did have a lot of good locations, if you were able to crack it!

Congratulations on your daughter's promotion! All the best to you both, and thanks again.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up