Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Street Art  (Read 15547 times)

elliot_n

Re: Street Art
« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2018, 11:07:20 am »

There's a bunch of stuff here in Street Showcase that would go just fine in User Critiques. That includes your girl with head in the clouds. It's an interesting picture but it's a long way from street photography.

As an echo of Lee Friedlander's 'Knoxville, Tennessee, 1971' it seems pretty close. Or is Friedlander persona non grata, along with Atget and Brassai?

https://www.artsy.net/artwork/lee-friedlander-knoxville-tennessee

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2018, 11:12:32 am »

Well that’s the end of that. I see no one is posting anything much anymore. But seems only people to qualify to be able to post here are all dead. The rest of us don’t meet the standards or understand the genre. So be it. No big deal. Lots of things vying for my time so pointless to waste it here.

As far as the Muslim woman image. A man with a white cane will see she is Muslim. Only way to make it any clearer would be to hang a sign around her neck or use one of those endless tired juxtapositions and find a street sign pointing to a mosque and position her in front of it.

It’s sad really. For a while there was signs of life here.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2018, 11:27:33 am »

Really, the day I worry my head over genres, labels and pigeonholes will be the day I forsake a lifetime's career in image making and embark on an exciting new path in taxonomy. Hence in future I'll be posting images elsewhere and in so doing managing to avoid the dog's dinner, bitching and bickering that are the Streety Showcase, Streety and Streety Arty thingies.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 11:34:44 am by KLaban »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2018, 11:39:23 am »

This is my folder called Street in Flickr.  I consider all of them some form of Street shots but I'm not a pro and maybe don't understand the genre.  Would any of them be considered good street shots, and why?  Maybe I can "up" my game.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/albums/72157625796644064

Ivophoto

« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2018, 12:02:45 pm »

Well that’s the end of that. I see no one is posting anything much anymore. But seems only people to qualify to be able to post here are all dead. The rest of us don’t meet the standards or understand the genre. So be it. No big deal. Lots of things vying for my time so pointless to waste it here.

As far as the Muslim woman image. A man with a white cane will see she is Muslim. Only way to make it any clearer would be to hang a sign around her neck or use one of those endless tired juxtapositions and find a street sign pointing to a mosque and position her in front of it.

It’s sad really. For a while there was signs of life here.

Don’t worry, Martin.

The only thing that became obvious is Statler and Waldorf’s irrelevance.
I will keep posting some of my contemporary work, and I hope to see yours.

I will drop in one straight away

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #125 on: May 27, 2018, 12:31:57 pm »

As an echo of Lee Friedlander's 'Knoxville, Tennessee, 1971' it seems pretty close. Or is Friedlander persona non grata, along with Atget and Brassai?

Hehe... thanks for that find!

Rob C

« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2018, 01:07:19 pm »

Why would Lee F be persona non grata? He personifies a part of street as well as the selfie!

https://www.xatakafoto.com/fotografos/lee-friedlander-el-mas-influyente-fotografo-del-paisaje-social

Ignore the Spanish if you don't understand it, just scroll down to the little film which is in English.

Lee is one of those who totally "gets" what street was and still is. It has little to do with my efforts or Russ's efforts to explain it; we just happen to have seen enough of this genre over the years to get a good overall, bird's-eye take on it. If spreading the sense of it by the written word is beyond the ability of either Russ or myself to do effectively, so be it: that does not negate the reality of what is, though it may underline the lack of willingness to comprehend.

My posting of a link to Leiter's Early Color had no success in explaining anything either, so as it obviously can't be the readership, I guess Leiter is a crock of it too.

Rob

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #127 on: May 27, 2018, 01:12:07 pm »

Leiter walks on water.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #128 on: May 27, 2018, 01:27:57 pm »

...https://www.xatakafoto.com/fotografos/lee-friedlander-el-mas-influyente-fotografo-del-paisaje-social

Ignore the Spanish if you don't understand it..l

Hey, I understand it enough to read that it doesn’t classify it as “street” but as “social landscape” instead.

LANDSCAPE!

Eat your hearts out, landscape haters! Turns out, your beloved “street” is just a sub genre of the almighty landscape.

😀

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #129 on: May 27, 2018, 01:29:06 pm »

Hey, I understand it enough to read that it doesn’t classify it as “street” but as “social landscape” instead.

LANDACAPE!

Eat your hearts out, landscape haters! Turns out, your beloved “street” is just a sub genre of the almighty landscape.

😀

ROFL

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2018, 01:32:57 pm »

Social landscape? What a cool name. I could definitely get into that. What are the rules?

Rob C

« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2018, 01:33:32 pm »

LANDACAPE!

😀

I read it perfectly clearly too, and hoped that in spite of that obvious, oh-so-easy to distort opinion, it was still worth posting in the hope you would see a tiny bit beyond it. Social landscape, in the context, is nothing to do with rocks, trees and lakes: it is a reference to the human landscape, not that of Mother Nature and the National Parklands.

Guess I aimed too high.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 01:37:20 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #132 on: May 27, 2018, 01:39:09 pm »

ROFL

Yet something else you misunderstand! Keep on truckin' - you'll win a prize or even a large fish for dinner!

;-)

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #133 on: May 27, 2018, 02:47:00 pm »

Yet something else you misunderstand! Keep on truckin' - you'll win a prize or even a large fish for dinner!

;-)

No Waldorf, I don't misunderstand.  Yet something else you think you know better:

ROFL

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #134 on: May 27, 2018, 02:58:53 pm »

This is my folder called Street in Flickr.  I consider all of them some form of Street shots but I'm not a pro and maybe don't understand the genre.  Would any of them be considered good street shots, and why?  Maybe I can "up" my game.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/albums/72157625796644064
Tx for sharing, I enjoyed looking at your pictures. I think you are best in your landscaping, Alan. I also enjoyed the family photo's on film, after all, these are the ones that are important, isn't it?

Rob C

« Reply #135 on: May 27, 2018, 03:23:11 pm »

No Waldorf, I don't misunderstand.  Yet something else you think you know better:

ROFL

Thank you for confirming!

Farmer

« Reply #136 on: May 27, 2018, 04:12:50 pm »

Okay Ivo, Evidently you haven't been around women enough to understand that they sometimes dress irrationally, so you don't understand that a girl wearing a headscarf and long pants isn't necessarily Muslim.

The person isn't necessarily a woman, Russ, if you want to take it to extremes.  I think, perhaps, you haven't been out and about in the world recently enough to know that on a summer's day in Europe the woman wearing a headscarf and fully covered arms and legs, is at least 99% likely to be Muslim.

Seriously, you're absolutely clutching at straws here to try to support your point despite it having little to no basis, and once again you rely on "I'm older so I know more and I'm right" as an appeal to "authority" (a logical fallacy).

The photo speaks for itself, fully contained, of a modern interaction in a European city.  Like all such shots, it's open to interpretation and we can read things in and out of it as we desire (as with all art).
Phil Brown

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #137 on: May 27, 2018, 04:19:45 pm »

Okay Phil. I surrender. I think it's time to get rid of Street Showcase and simply post stuff like this on User Critiques. That way we steer away completely from any attempt to work within a genre that vanishingly few have taken the trouble to research. It seemed like a good idea in the beginning, but I was wrong once before, back in about 1938 as I recall, so I'm not a virgin.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #138 on: May 27, 2018, 04:58:55 pm »

I, too, am never wrong. I thought I was once, but I was mistaken. 😉

Rob C

« Reply #139 on: May 27, 2018, 05:10:44 pm »

Okay Phil. I surrender. I think it's time to get rid of Street Showcase and simply post stuff like this on User Critiques. That way we steer away completely from any attempt to work within a genre that vanishingly few have taken the trouble to research. It seemed like a good idea in the beginning, but I was wrong once before, back in about 1938 as I recall, so I'm not a virgin.

But there's still hope, Russ! I'm a virgin again, and it doesn't matter.

Life, stupidity, point-scoring attempts in place of argument, these same pavements have been well-trodden for ages. The important thing is to know what one knows, and try to understand that that which escapes some others more dependent on public opinion than on seeking after information may not, deep, deep down, be misunderstood at all: it's just attitude.

But as you know, who really gives a flying fig! Comes the moment, and it matters not a jot.

:-)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up