Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RC Proofing Paper with wide gamut?  (Read 556 times)

narikin

RC Proofing Paper with wide gamut?
« on: May 18, 2018, 09:11:01 pm »

Hi all - been looking for an RC proofing paper  to make full size (large) proof prints on, that has a gamut roughly comparable with the expensive PK stuff (Photo Rag Baryta, Canson Platine/Bayta, Harman Gloss Baryta, etc)  I default to Epson Proofing Semi Matte, but its color range is very much less that the quality stuff, so (a) the images look disappointing, and you tend to think they're duds (b) it is close to pointless as you can't call it a proof, when it's not really like the final print at all.

Is there anything out there with a comparable gamut I should try? Epson Premium Luster (260) seems to have about the same gamut as Proofing Semi Matte, so nothing much to gain there- some other company perhaps? Not looking for longevity or 'feel' here, just a good proofing paper that is ok value, and will be indicative of what the all rag paper image will look like.

Thanks!

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: RC Proofing Paper with wide gamut?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 11:37:52 pm »

Have you tried Luster?  I'm not familiar with proofing semi matte, but luster is much closer to the sheen of the other papers you mentioned.  I proof on Luster, then print on Legacy Baryta and I'm pretty happy with the results. While it does have a lower gamut, with good profiles the visual results should be pretty similar.  It's still has a lot of gamut.  One thing I do know is using the Epson provided profiles might not "match" between the too papers as closely as you can making custom profiles.. Close, but after building my own profiles using a 4101 patch set in i1Profiler and an iSis the match between the luster and the Baryta to me is  visually really close.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 05:13:23 pm by Wayne Fox »

stockjock

Re: RC Proofing Paper with wide gamut?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 03:39:22 am »

I have been very pleased with the results I have gotten with the HP Everyday Pigment Ink Satin Photo Paper.  It actually prints better on the Canon iPF8400 than Canson Platine using the Canson profiles.  But the paper is very flimsy and I have no idea how archival it is.  But if you are looking for a wide gamut and similar sheen I think you would be happy with it.  With the iPF8400 I use Canon Satin Photo Paper 240 for media type and profile and get perfect results.  Very cheap at $0.52 a foot in 24” rolls.  It is much better than the Epson Proofing Semi matte paper except for being so thin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up