Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: canon pro 2000 - what is the gloss optimizer for?  (Read 1313 times)

msongs

• Hawaii Loves Art
canon pro 2000 - what is the gloss optimizer for?
« on: May 06, 2018, 09:59:40 pm »

I see that stuff is one of the ink carts. thinking about getting that printer. I print mostly matte on canvas for stretching and a low amount of presentation matte paper. I never print on glossy stock. can this optimizer be turned off? with my printing type will it use much? after printing on canvas I use a clear coat called timeless. thanks!

Marshall aka HawaiiLovesArt
Msongs
hawaiilovesart.com
batik, digital design, panorama photography

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: canon pro 2000 - what is the gloss optimizer for?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 11:08:24 pm »

If you read the various reviews and the specs for this printer you would learn that Chroma Optimizer is not used with matte papers. Before making such an investment it is advisable to read about the equipment and competing options to make sure the choice is right for your needs and preferences and you will know what to expect. That said, it is an excellent printer.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 02:22:15 pm »

I never print on glossy stock. can this optimizer be turned off?
You don’t need to turn it off.  It won’t be used when printing mat papers/canvases.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 02:46:07 pm »

If a suitable matte settings doesn't suffice the media properly and you decide to use a gloss option instead, just make a custom media setting and do a gloss option minus the Optimizer.  This will make it print properly with gloss settings but minus the CO usage.

As Mark stated, make sure it does what you need before getting it and the series is a great model.  Technology is so far above Epson and HP in photo/poster printers and quality is now comparable.

The Optimizer basically will be applied to (only media with a sheen: luster, semi-gloss, gloss) the white areas with no ink applied or the whole print if you choose.  This helps to keep the reflection of light even across the whole print.  If you don't like the CO, you can leave it unchecked (doesn't apply to whole image) or make the custom media setting to have it off otherwise.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 02:55:21 pm »

That said, any one who wants to try shutting it off completely (not sure this is even possible) needs to realize that they are disabling an integral part of the ink set the primary purpose of which is to augment chroma. In researching ways to optimize chroma, expanding the potential gamut of the prints, after much testing with more colours or this Optimizer product, Canon settled for the latter. Tells you something.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

msongs

• Hawaii Loves Art
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 03:05:44 pm »

thanks so much for your replies. very helpful !
Msongs
hawaiilovesart.com
batik, digital design, panorama photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up