Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 80   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon’s new mirrorless system, coming in ... late September 2018  (Read 159515 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Nikon’s new mirrorless system, coming in ... late September 2018
« Reply #840 on: August 31, 2018, 03:14:23 pm »

When are the football championship series starting up again? It's time fandom found a place to express its energy.

:D
Edmund
Champions League draw was yesterday and my Ajax team made it into the group stage with a favorable draw.  First matches are in a couple of weeks.  Are you a Paris St. Germain supporter?

Telecaster

« Reply #841 on: August 31, 2018, 03:26:13 pm »

http://chsvll.nikon-image.com/products/nikkor/zmount/nikkor_z_35mm_f18s/img/sample/pic_03_l.jpg

I say wow. The shape and quality of oof highlights is the closest thing to perfect I remember seeing. Much better than what my Otus delivers on F mount.

Yeah, it's very nice. Reminds me of the Zeiss ZM 35/1.4.

-Dave-

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #842 on: August 31, 2018, 03:26:56 pm »

If you are still considering the Nikon Z watch this review

https://youtu.be/r19prJVWOXA

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #843 on: August 31, 2018, 04:21:47 pm »

Bernard I have a question. You have a theory that Nikon is getting out of low end cameras because cell phones are going to kill this off and there is no future in it.  I read yesterday that Nikon has announced a very entry level DSLR D3500.

Does that not indicate that Nikon is taking a different approach to what you anticipated? Also what of all the people saying DSLR is over? Clearly Nikon doesn’t think so.

I see the D3500 as a perfect confirmation that Nikon is stopping investment in low end and APS-C.

If you have tried to undertake what I wrote, I have never meant that they would completely stop selling low end APS-C cameras, nor that this would happen overnight.

We all know that some people buy new stuff just because it’s new. We all know that retail salesman use the newer as a means to triggering gas. So Nikon is releasing a D3500, that is essentially identical to the D3400 and must have been super cheap to design and produce, to extract a bit more money out of this segment while it lasts.

Btw the D3400 was alreasy nearly identical to the D3300.

My conservative view is that the D3500 must have cost about 100 times less to develop than the Z6/Z7.

This is very similar to the “new” Canon 70-200 f2.8 mkIII that is identical to the mkII. Well, at least Nikon did make the D3500 a tiny bit smaller. ;) Same story.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 04:50:04 pm by BernardLanguillier »

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #844 on: August 31, 2018, 04:28:11 pm »

Yeah, it's very nice. Reminds me of the Zeiss ZM 35/1.4.

-Dave-

Yes, but:
- the Zeiss has cat eyes oof highlights when shot at f1.8 , does it not?
- it doesn’t use aspherical glass elements, which is why it doesn’t exhibit any weird texture in those areas.

As far as I can tell the Nikon is the first compactish wide using aspherical glass elements for excellent corner performance with such pure rendering.

I’d glad to be proven wrong, I am just trying to establish facts.

Cheers,
Bernard

John Camp

« Reply #845 on: August 31, 2018, 05:27:51 pm »

I couldn't read this full thread, it's too long-- I wish it had been edited into two parts, one before the camera came out, and the other after.

But, whatever. Last weekend I went with some friends to a drag strip that ran from late afternoon until well after dark, and I was shooting with a D800 and a 35-70 F2.8 zoom. By the time I finished, my arm felt dead. In addition to my Nikon system, I have a full Panasonic system including their version of the f2.8 zoom, and I wish I'd taken that one instead...I didn't, because I wanted more high-res tall verticals (it was a drag strip) from the D800's longer aspect ratio.

Unlike most people here, I am not obsessing over the Z7's lack of a second card slot or the sensor (more about those things in a minute.) I'm obsessing over its size. I looked at the camera size comparison website and guess what? It's about the size of my m4/3 GX8 Panny. It's slightly narrower and only a bit taller (because of the viewer) than a Leica M10, and weighs less. For me, that's huge. And it's weather-sealed. Also huge. It'll use my whole range of fairly modern F-mount lenses. Huge. The mid-range zoom is f4 and reasonably compact: terrific. I shot most of the drag strip at 1600 and the quality was excellent; I don't need no stinking' f1.4. Would I buy the f0.95 manual focus? Maybe. Although I have a couple for the Panny, and those work fine. Depends on price.

Second card slot and sensor: I don't care about the sensor as long as it works. I suspect it'll be about the same as the higher-end Sonys and Canons, and all, IMHO, are brilliant. The only reason I can think of for more resolution is that you're shooting for billboards, or the kind of larger-than-life model photos in Victoria Secret windows. Second card slot? Most interesting review I've seen for that came from a wildlife photographer who says he doesn't use a second slot because it's too slow, and that XQD cards have *never* failed him. They are essentially as good or better than the SSDs that all your computer stuff is on. Another review said that the reviewer interviewed all their pro friends, and that they'd never heard of an XQD card failing in the field, *ever.* And frankly, if I were a pro wedding shooter, since cameras are far, far, far more like to fail than XQD cards, I'd have *two* cameras with me, and shoot with them alternately. Maybe that's just me.

I admit that I'm a Nikon user and like Nikon ergonomics. And I'll freely admit that Canons and Sony produce photos that are just as good. I'm going to wait to see more in-depth user reviews of this camera, but I expect to buy one.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #846 on: August 31, 2018, 05:50:03 pm »

Yes, but:
- it doesn’t use aspherical glass elements, which is why it doesn’t exhibit any weird texture in those areas.

As far as I can tell the Nikon is the first compactish wide using aspherical glass elements for excellent corner performance with such pure rendering.

Cheers,
Bernard

So does the example you linked to. You can see it towards the edges.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #847 on: August 31, 2018, 06:04:07 pm »

So does the example you linked to. You can see it towards the edges.

To such a low extent that they appear mostly circular.

Cheers,
Bernard

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #848 on: August 31, 2018, 06:09:44 pm »

I couldn't read this full thread, it's too long-- I wish it had been edited into two parts, one before the camera came out, and the other after.

Ha, wouldn't have made much difference, i think, since afterwards none of us still haven't had a clue what we were talking about as no one even came near an actual specimen.

Page after page with arguments why it would or wouldn't properly autofocus. I was reminded of the link someone shared somewhere else about birdphotographers switching from C to N because of supposed autofocus superiority. Some esotheric edge case. Birding for f's sake. Then if you read this thread with the S examples it all becomes such a comedy.

Eye autofocus apparently is "crazy sophisticated" because it tracks an animal's eye in total darkness. Yep, crazy is indeed the word for that, but there's apparently a bunch of birding photographers that might be really interested in such a feature.
Regards,
~ O ~

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #849 on: August 31, 2018, 06:19:07 pm »

To such a low extent that they appear mostly circular.

Cheers,
Bernard

Well, it would be a good argument to use cropping instead of binning when shooting video...
Regards,
~ O ~

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #850 on: August 31, 2018, 07:13:04 pm »

Well, it would be a good argument to use cropping instead of binning when shooting video...

Indeed.

Cheers,
Bernard

chez

« Reply #851 on: August 31, 2018, 08:22:02 pm »

Yes, but:

Cheers,
Bernard

Funny I've never heard anyone complain about cats eye bokeh other than bit head photographers. Most people look at the subject of the photo...not how elegant the out of focus areas are.

Alex Waugh

« Reply #852 on: August 31, 2018, 08:27:49 pm »

Funny I've never heard anyone complain about cats eye bokeh other than bit head photographers. Most people look at the subject of the photo...not how elegant the out of focus areas are.

I agree. As long as the image looks good as a whole it can be shot through anything for all I care. As long as that lens provides the shooting envelope I need, I'm happy. Whether that is focal length, system weight, bokeh quality, speed or colour rendition depends on the photographer.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #853 on: August 31, 2018, 09:23:47 pm »

We all have different levels of expectations. ;)

I have been frustrated by cateyes bokeh for many many years.

Do they make or break an image? No more than 45mp vs 12mp of CA vs perfectly corrected lenses.

And many images don’t have blurred speculat highlights. For those that do, their share is considered by me and many others as important.

Good for you if you don’t care.

Cheers,
Bernard

scooby70

« Reply #854 on: September 01, 2018, 05:44:27 am »

Sorry if this has already been posted, if not it's worth a look...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud0ljGVhn6M

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #855 on: September 01, 2018, 06:29:07 am »

Sorry if this has already been posted, if not it's worth a look...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud0ljGVhn6M

Funny, coming from you I am 100% sure it is about something negative on the Z. :D

Cheers,
Bernard

scooby70

« Reply #856 on: September 01, 2018, 08:45:43 am »

Funny, coming from you I am 100% sure it is about something negative on the Z. :D

Cheers,
Bernard

As opposed to the constant stream of over enthusiasm bordering on complete hyperbole from you?

Bernard.

I couldn't give a flying who makes what and I can't see why I should as I have no vested interest in any system. No one I know works for any photography equipment company and I have no shares or any financial or otherwise interest in any of them.

I started by photography journey with a Kodak instamatic and I still love simple cameras. I moved on through SLR's and RF's and owned a Nikon SLR for decades. I moved to digital with a Fuji S602 before moving to DSLR's with Canon and owned 300D, 10D, a 20D for over seven years and then a 5D for a few years until going mirrorless with Panasonic and now Sony and Panasonic. I currently own lenses made by Canon, Nikon, Voigtlander, Sigma, Panasonic, Olympus, Tokina, Minolta and a few I've doubtless not listed there.

My point is that I'm completely and utterly brand agnostic and I couldn't give a flying who makes what or where they make it.

So why oh why would I waste my time by going out of my way to deliberately search the net looking for something I can post here that's overly or unfairly negative about this new system?

I'm following developments with interest and I posted the above as it's one of the few I've so far seen that is as far as I know unbiassed and not from someone who's objectivity could be questioned even if unfairly so because they're an ambassador (or whatever they may be called) or otherwise somehow affiliated to or known or suspected to be friendly towards Nikon.

ok?

:D

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #857 on: September 01, 2018, 08:58:45 am »

Insofar as it contains information or informed comment, this is an interesting thread. The bickering needs to stop, though.

Jeremy

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #858 on: September 01, 2018, 09:29:57 am »

... The bickering needs to stop, though.

Yes, criticize the behavior, not the person ;)

chez

« Reply #859 on: September 01, 2018, 09:41:37 am »

We all have different levels of expectations. ;)

I have been frustrated by cateyes bokeh for many many years.

Do they make or break an image? No more than 45mp vs 12mp of CA vs perfectly corrected lenses.

And many images don’t have blurred speculat highlights. For those that do, their share is considered by me and many others as important.

Good for you if you don’t care.

Cheers,
Bernard

It's not me that does not care...it's the people who view or purchase my images that don't care. Like I said it's the bit head photographers that care about things like bokeh quality and the sharpness pixel peeping in the far corners.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 80   Go Up