Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53   Go Down

Author Topic: Global Cooling. The sky is falling.  (Read 108103 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Global Cooling. The sky is falling.
« Reply #1020 on: July 16, 2018, 11:37:41 pm »

Important development - feeding seaweed to cows has helped some farmers reduce methane gas produced by their cattle by 20%. Of course, switching your eating habits from steaks to seaweed could eliminate much more methane than 20%, while at the same time eliminate also any expenses for gas relief pills.

At a time when methane gas production is surging, it doesn't help that in Canada, 88 per cent of agricultural methane emissions come from cattle,

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/cow-seaweed-gas-study-lethbridge-1.4711214

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1021 on: July 16, 2018, 11:51:12 pm »

Les, would you rather eat salty, sandy seaweed or a nice, thick juicy New York Strip? 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1022 on: July 17, 2018, 12:34:19 am »

The thick and juicy new York Strip is something to die for, but I trained myself to resist the urge and switched to Boston lettuce with beefsteak tomatoes.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 03:39:10 am by LesPalenik »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1023 on: July 17, 2018, 09:17:33 am »

The thick and juicy new York Strip is something to die for, but I trained myself to resist the urge and switched to Boston lettuce with beefsteak tomatoes.

You can eat the veggies with a nice steak.  Why deprive yourself? :)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1024 on: July 17, 2018, 10:00:56 am »

Very true! Small piece of meat, eaten only occasionally won't kill us. Same as occasional romantic affair.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #1025 on: July 24, 2018, 08:44:14 am »

It may just be weather but..................massive amounts of rainfall in the mid-Atlantic US (we have had over 10 inches of rain here in my area in the past 4 days with more to come today and tomorrow), record high temperatures in the UK, Japan and some other places, wildfires in Greece, etc.  Don't know whether it is global warming or cooling only that it's just not normal.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #1026 on: July 24, 2018, 09:32:19 am »

And how do you know it's not "normal," Alan?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #1027 on: July 24, 2018, 09:47:47 am »

Very true! Small piece of meat, eaten only occasionally won't kill us. Same as occasional romantic affair.

But hey, it will kill the poor cow.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #1028 on: July 24, 2018, 10:36:46 am »

What kind of romantic affair are you thinking of, Rob?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1029 on: July 24, 2018, 11:03:45 am »

It may just be weather but..................massive amounts of rainfall in the mid-Atlantic US (we have had over 10 inches of rain here in my area in the past 4 days with more to come today and tomorrow), record high temperatures in the UK, Japan and some other places, wildfires in Greece, etc.  Don't know whether it is global warming or cooling only that it's just not normal.

Hi Alan,

It is weather, but there are patterns emerging. There will be more weather extremes (especially in precipitation).

In my country we're currently experiencing another weather extreme, only ours is in drought. It is caused by a persistent high-pressure system over the Scandinavian region, but there is not a trend yet, so Weather it is, not Climate Change.

It has not rained for over a month and temperatures have been high, and nature is reacting by drying up, with trees shedding leaves, rivers are approaching record low levels (making transport over rivers like the Rhine difficult), and the lack of river water increases the risks of soil salinization of coastal regions where crops are grown. Cattle are already eating winter supplies of grass, since there is not enough grass in the meadows to go round, and farmers are forbidden to use the surface water for their sprinklers to water the fields. Swimming in open water is dangerous due to the bloom of poisonous algae. This week we're having our first national-heatwave (at least 5 days over 25 Celsius, of which 3 over 30 degrees Celsius) of the year.

The single benefit of the hot weather is that it's going to be an excellent wine year, the wine grapes can be harvested several weeks earlier than usual.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1030 on: July 24, 2018, 11:08:16 am »

Hi Alan,

It is weather, but there are patterns emerging. There will be more weather extremes (especially in precipitation).

In my country we're currently experiencing another weather extreme, only ours is in drought. It is caused by a persistent high-pressure system over the Scandinavian region, but there is not a trend yet, so Weather it is, not Climate Change.

It has not rained for over a month, and nature is reacting by drying up, with trees shedding leaves, rivers are approaching record low levels (making transport over rivers like the Rhine difficult), and the lack of river water increases the risks of soil salinization of coastal regions where crops are grown. Cattle are already eating winter supplies of grass, since there is not enough grass in the meadows to go round, and farmers are forbidden to use the surface water for their sprinklers to water the fields. Swimming in open water is dangerous due to the bloom of poisonous algae. This week we're having our first national-heatwave (at least 5 days over 25 Celsius, of which 3 over 30 degrees Celsius) of the year.

The single benefit of the hot weather is that it's going to be an excellent wine year, the wine grapes can be harvested several weeks earlier than usual.

Cheers,
Bart
Bart, That's the first time I ever heard you say global warming has some benefits.  Now I know your weak point. Cheers.  Proost :)

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #1031 on: July 24, 2018, 11:22:50 am »

Bart, That's the first time I ever heard you say global warming has some benefits.  Now I know your weak point. Cheers.  Proost :)

Benefits if you live in a cold place. Not much fun in the Kalahari where 5 days in a row of 25 C is considered a mid winter cold snap.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1032 on: July 24, 2018, 11:25:00 am »

And to your health as well, but we're going to need it to drown our sorrows over the losses of food crops.

Cheers,
Bart

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1033 on: July 24, 2018, 11:43:50 am »

And to your health as well, but we're going to need it to drown our sorrows over the losses of food crops.

Cheers,
Bart

I was reading that the warming has allowed two crops in one season, earlier planting and reaping, etc.  There's more food production in general with more rain, CO2 and warmth.  Let's celebrate that.  Proost :) 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1034 on: July 24, 2018, 11:52:47 am »

Lot of new photo opportunities for photography - especially if you are into shooting intricate parched soil patterns and dramatic forest fires.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1035 on: July 24, 2018, 12:26:41 pm »

I was reading that the warming has allowed two crops in one season, earlier planting and reaping, etc.  There's more food production in general with more rain, CO2 and warmth.  Let's celebrate that.  Proost :)

Without water, not much foodproduction...

Cheers,
Bart

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1036 on: July 24, 2018, 02:52:33 pm »

Lots of rain here in New Jersey. I haven't had to water my plants in over a week.😎

Ray

« Reply #1037 on: July 24, 2018, 08:52:17 pm »

Speaking of weather, here's an interesting forecast I came across a few days ago in Malaysia. It's processed on an uncalibrated laptop, so not sure how the image will appear to other viewers.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1038 on: July 24, 2018, 09:53:10 pm »

The image looks fine, except that guy in the middle holding some large camera instead of a bottle of wine.

jeremyrh

« Reply #1039 on: July 25, 2018, 01:22:54 am »

Lots of rain here in New Jersey Macedonia. I haven't had to water my plants in over a week.😎

Fixed that mistake for you.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53   Go Up