Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Yellow in Epson 9890 and 7890 printers  (Read 1252 times)

deanwork

New Yellow in Epson 9890 and 7890 printers
« on: April 22, 2018, 10:42:10 am »

Maybe someone has commented on this.

The previous Epson Pro printers allow the user to put in third party compatible ink carts. I’ve used them for 8 years with no problem in a 9890. So I’m wondering if anyone is is replacing the yellow slot with the recent more stable Epson sure color yellow and reprofiling?

Seems like a piece of cake. Although the newer Epsons seem to have made some changes to the pump assembly, techs working on the new ones say the heads are the same. Of course Epson will tell you it’s impossible, they told us you couldn’t use ultrachrome inks on the original 10K was was as easy to do as switching out chart chips. The new yellow should be much closer that those different pigments. So, my idea is, buy the new yellow, cut open the ink cart and with a funnel put it in the reprogramable third party ink cart and leave all the other inks the same. Make icc profiles, or have them made for you.

This procedure would be the same for 3800,3880, 9900 etc printers. Essentially you double the longevity.

John

mearussi

Re: New Yellow in Epson 9890 and 7890 printers
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 10:55:56 am »

Sounds good. Let us know how it turns out. :)
Seriously though, a lot of us have wondered the same thing but haven't felt like risking possible damage to our printer in order to find out.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 11:33:17 am »

Maybe someone has commented on this.

The previous Epson Pro printers allow the user to put in third party compatible ink carts. I’ve used them for 8 years with no problem in a 9890. So I’m wondering if anyone is is replacing the yellow slot with the recent more stable Epson sure color yellow and reprofiling?

Seems like a piece of cake. Although the newer Epsons seem to have made some changes to the pump assembly, techs working on the new ones say the heads are the same. Of course Epson will tell you it’s impossible, they told us you couldn’t use ultrachrome inks on the original 10K was was as easy to do as switching out chart chips. The new yellow should be much closer that those different pigments. So, my idea is, buy the new yellow, cut open the ink cart and with a funnel put it in the reprogramable third party ink cart and leave all the other inks the same. Make icc profiles, or have them made for you.

This procedure would be the same for 3800,3880, 9900 etc printers. Essentially you double the longevity.

John

No need to cut it open.
Just take a 60ml syringe and pull it out. So much cleaner that way.
You can suction it out of the OEM's you just cannot reinsert it.
I have suctioned 10,000ml of Epson K3 OEM inks this way, it works.

Not sure about mixing 1 K3HD colors with a standard K3 set, it might work.
I am buying the chip card for my P800 and will be refilling all with HD.
I presently have the full set of HD inks that came with my P8000, about a 1000ml's to suction out for my P800.
The new P8000 is being converted to refillable dye sublimation so no need for those carts in the P8000.

deanwork

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 06:54:08 pm »

Actually I’m putting k7 piezography in this printer but I just bought it used like new with a new head and was thinking about that. I have the 44 inch version also. I believe all the inks are the same except for the yellow. One thing the techs tell me is the heads are the same so I’d be shocked if you couldn’t use the new yellow in refillable carts resetting the chips.

No need to cut it open.
Just take a 60ml syringe and pull it out. So much cleaner that way.
You can suction it out of the OEM's you just cannot reinsert it.
I have suctioned 10,000ml of Epson K3 OEM inks this way, it works.

I presently have the full set of HD inks that came with my P8000, about a 1000ml's to suction out for my P800.
The new P8000 is being converted to refillable dye sublimation so no need for those carts in the P8000.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 10:54:56 am »

Did you switch the print head in the P8000 to work this way?  That head will most likely NOT work with Dye-sub ink because they are different heads from what Epson's Dye-Sub models use.

And K3 vs HD ink are different, so mixing them in the ink cartridge may result in different output (or even something happening to the head itself) due to the updated formula with the P series.

deanwork

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 11:44:00 am »

Different how? Yea of course you need to make new profiles with the yellow change. But the print heads are the same so why wouldn’t they print normally. I have no experience with dye sub so can’t comment on that. One thing for sure, Epson will never encourage people to put refillable ink carts in any of their printer for any reason.

Did you switch the print head in the P8000 to work this way?  That head will most likely NOT work with Dye-sub ink because they are different heads from what Epson's Dye-Sub models use.

And K3 vs HD ink are different, so mixing them in the ink cartridge may result in different output (or even something happening to the head itself) due to the updated formula with the P series.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 02:57:15 pm »

The wide format Epsons print great with dye sub inks. Been doing so for years. (The Epson 5000,7000 and 9000 chips have not yet been cracked for refillables.)
Conde system has been selling 4880, 7890, 9890, 7700 and 9700 models for dye sub work for years with no modifications.
The inks used are specific to the Epson print heads.
Inks from Sawgrass J-Teck and Ink Owl have been printing in any Epson that can take refillables.
Wasatch Rip or the Epson driver with a specific profile is all it takes.
Epsons Dye Sub printers are all CMYK and mainly used for textile dye sublimation.
The Epson pigment printers discussed here are all 8 colors which is why they are so popular for dye sub metals.
My new 44" Epson P8000 was $3175 and the same width Epson CMYK F6200 was $7495.
Presently the chip on the P8000 must be replaced with a new $20 chip every time the 700ml tanks run empty.
Hope to have resettable chips in the near future.
A very small price to pay for a state of the art fast printer and ink for .10 a ml.

You sound like the typical Epson salesman that says you cannot do that. :)
I am here to tell you you can and the output is supurb.

Attached dye sub metal photos from my Epson 4880 with Sawgrass Sublijet IQ ink.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 08:45:37 am by Dan Berg »
Pages: [1]   Go Up